dan orourke Guest

Default Re: Foundation Steel?

Dan,
    It is exposed and rusting will continue, causing foundation problems. Don't know where it came from but needs repair

See Below: Bruce tells it like is.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 09-09-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: See Below
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

That looks like rebar to me. Rebar should have a minimum of 1-1/2" coverage to protect it against rusting.

This rebar is rusting and will continue to rust. As steel rusts it expands causing the concrete to flake away from the steel. (Concrete has very little strength in tension.) This exposes the steel deeper in the concrete to moisture and oxygen causing more and more rusting. If allowed to continue the rusting rebar can eventually severely damage or destroy the concrete.

I would NOT leave this out of the report. I would explain what I saw and the possible implications of not repairing it. It's not really your job to explain how to perform a repair. I would recommend the client contact a qualified, licensed foundation repair contractor for advice on how to repair this.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Evan Grugett Guest

This is a rusting rebar at the surface of the wall, not a form snap tie.
    It should be in your report as a repair item for the reasons that Bruce so well described in his post. The repair should retard the corrosion that can spall and crack the concrete, for instance wire brushing off the rust and painting the steel.

Evan Grugett

Evan Grugett Inspections
    “Educating the Real Estate Consumer”

PO Box 188
    Eastchester, NY 10709
    914-723-5795
    egrugett@optonline.net

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Grugett View Post
    The repair should retard the corrosion that can spall and crack the concrete, for instance wire brushing off the rust and painting the steel.
    That's not a proper repair, I hope no home inspector suggests that while “Educating the Real Estate Consumer”.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Evan Grugett Guest

Touche!!! I guess this is welcome to the group. I've got broad shoulders and have been doing this for 32 years. You can unload on me all you want.

Not a proper repair? At this point is is preventive, based on the photo. The steel may not have the proper coverage in the entire wall but you wouldn't be able to see that. If there are no other cracks or spalling in the wall, and this is the only location where the rebar is exposed, stopping the corrosion by painting with a metal paint and maybe parging over the area is a practical way to repair this.

Pray tell what is your repair suggestion, if you even make them in your report? I guess you would have the foundation wall taken down and reconstructed.

Evan Grugett

Evan,
    Welcome to the Group.

I don't know how things are done in your area on whats included in your report. I for one do not
    make written/oral repair suggestions. Bruce ( wish I could get this Quote thing down) pointed out it's not really my job to make such suggestions too many worms in that can.

Nothing Personal there Mr. Wide Shoulders

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 09-11-2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added how-
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Grugett View Post
    I guess this is welcome to the group.

Yes, welcome to the group.

I've got broad shoulders

All of us need broad shoulders as we all say things which are not quite right and get it back at us.

Not a proper repair?

Being as you asked ...

Nope.

Pray tell what is your repair suggestion, if you even make them in your report? I guess you would have the foundation wall taken down and reconstructed.
    While not really necessary "I guess you would have the foundation wall taken down and reconstructed." ... hmmmm ... not a bad idea.

I would *not* suggest a repair.

Yes, it is "likely" that, once a repair is started, more things needing repair will be exposed (which is why I would not suggest a repair), but, simply wire brushing it and painting it is a little to no use.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Evan,

Don't mind Jerry, he treats everyone that way. As a matter of fact, it seems to me that he was showing great restraint.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/