Default This pit was trying to eat me!

Good thing I do a lot of cardio. I was able to escape this guy. He's jumped up onto the chimney trying to eat me.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: This pit was trying to eat me!

Was this dog at the house you inspected or just a dog roaming free?

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Was this dog at the house you inspected or just a dog roaming free?
    It was in the back yard of a house I was inspecting.

I was out doing an inspection on a new service for a pump ... seems the locals were interested in who I was and what I was doing, so they came over to introduce themselves ...
    (the old guy came over to introduce himself face-to-face first - his big, black, wet, snout was in my face as he tried to figure me out, I thought about my camera after he backed off a bit)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I was out doing an inspection on a new service for a pump ... seems the locals were interested in who I was and what I was doing, so they came over to introduce themselves ...
    (the old guy came over to introduce himself face-to-face first - his big, black, wet, snout was in my face as he tried to figure me out, I thought about my camera after he backed off a bit)
    Where the hell do you live where there are cows free grazing??
    I got charged by a bull when I was a kid growing up in OK. i was in FFA.
    The only bulls around me now are in west hollywood.

@ Marc. The dog looks like he wants to lick you.

@ Jerry, They are beautiful, I would have loved being there.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post

@ Jerry, They are beautiful, I would have loved being there.
    Steven, I thought you were a married man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McIntyre View Post
    Steven, I thought you were a married man!!
    Married no more, so I can do whatever I want.

Gentlemen, hide yer sisters

Ahem, Jerry? Those are heifers (young female cows). The only 'old guy' was the one wielding the camera.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Ahem, Jerry? Those are heifers (young female cows). The only 'old guy' was the one wielding the camera.
    If a heifer is a young female cow, what is a young male cow?

anyway, they say the older the buck the stiffer the horn.

I was inspecting a small apartment building that had a yard off to one side. As I walked through the yard, a Rottweiler came out of some shrubs and cornered me against the fence. The dog was getting more aggressive and bolder by the second. I put my palm out flat and said "Sit". Amazingly, she sat down. Her eyes flicking side to side as she tried to figure this development out. I said "Stay" and walked out of the yard. Luckily, she wasn't programed to attack first and ask questions later. (Years earlier, I encountered one of those and the outcome wasn't as pleasant)

Steve,
    A"cow" is a female, a"heifer" hasn't calved yet. A"bull" has a pair, a "steer" doesn't. Together, they are cattle.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    If a heifer is a young female cow, what is a young male cow?

anyway, they say the older the buck the stiffer the horn.
    They are bull calves, some of which will grow up to become Bulls, the rest are steers.
    A lot of steers these days are de-horned at both ends.

Mr. Bull gets his own field. We went cycling on the Olympic Peninsula and passed this 'old guy'.

www.allsafehome.ca

A guy that reads meters let me in on his dog technique - Rattle the gate before opening it.

Also, pepper spray is not legal in my area, but that wouldn't prevent me from using it on that thing with the orange eyeballs.

www.allsafehome.ca

One time I was in the back yard of a home when I felt something up against my back side. When I turned around I was looking eye to eye with a Saint Bernard. Talk about brown stains on your underware. Turned out he was just a big baby looking for someone to pet him.

A guy that reads meters let me in on his dog technique - Rattle the gate before opening it.

Also, pepper spray is not legal in my area, but that wouldn't prevent me from using it on that thing with the orange eyeballs.

What about a a stun gun, those that are like batons ?
    saw one at a gun show that would keep them at bay.
    Thought about getting me one.

When I was a young hammer swinger, we were remodeling a home that had a chow that the owner had warned us about. My boss brought a load of supplies in through the alley and forgot about the dog in the backyard. When he opened the gate, here came that chow. He had his tool belt on, pulled his hammer and as the dog lunged at him, he bonked it on the head. Laid it out.

From then on the dog went to the far corner of the yard whenever it saw him.

Marc, that's Santa Paws trying to come up the chimney. Apparently you were so bad this year, he didn't have coal in mind for your stocking. Curt

Question Re: This pit was trying to eat me!

pepper spray is not legal in my area
    Are you kidding? What, they figure you will have an animal control officer for a ride-along, just in case? What is it with people and governments that they think law-abiding (I am presuming you are law-abiding, John) people don't have the common sense and wherewithall to not only CARRY pepper spray, but to know when to USE it?

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    Are you kidding? What, they figure you will have an animal control officer for a ride-along, just in case? What is it with people and governments that they think law-abiding (I am presuming you are law-abiding, John) people don't have the common sense and wherewithall to not only CARRY pepper spray, but to know when to USE it?
    Hey, we here in the US of A are heading that way toward more nannyism, too. A friend of mine in Belgium was flabbergasted to learn that my wife had shot an intruder in the kitchen. He said that she would have been arrested in Belgium. There are many, too many, folks who agree with that, even here in Colorado, where we have a "make my day" law. Change is a'comin' and you and I aren't gonna like it.

Change is coming, all right, and those who would trample the rights of persons to protect themselves in the name of safety will not like it:

A licence to shoot burglars: It's the chance you take, judge tells two raiders who were fired on by homeowners at isolated cottage | Mail Online

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I have found that cattle are naturally curious. I do some work at a ranch and when I'm fixing something in the corral they like to come over and inspect my work. Oh yes, and by the way those are cows in the pictures (girls).

Thom Huggett, PE, SE, CBO

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Hey, we here in the US of A are heading that way toward more nannyism, too. A friend of mine in Belgium was flabbergasted to learn that my wife had shot an intruder in the kitchen. He said that she would have been arrested in Belgium. There are many, too many, folks who agree with that, even here in Colorado, where we have a "make my day" law. Change is a'comin' and you and I aren't gonna like it.
    Kudos to your wife! As long as it was her kitchen, I am all for it!

END GLOBAL WHINING

Pepper spray not legal in my area ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    The meter reader told me this, first I'd heard it. Maybe just his company policy, but we do have to register to buy a can of the stuff at a sporting goods store.

I've carried pepper spray, the big can, quite a bit when I did bush work in bear country. I've met dozens of black bears and was able to talk them into leaving me be. Never even had the can out of my vest that I recall. But a nasty dog in attack mode would get a shot of spray if I had the can handy.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Downs View Post
    Marc, that's Santa Paws trying to come up the chimney. Apparently you were so bad this year, he didn't have coal in mind for your stocking. Curt
    No way, he came to bite my ass.
    Damn thing was on a mission.