Thread: chalk line

dan orourke Guest

Default chalk line

Last edited by dan orourke; 01-01-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: chalk line

I consider it a "minor miracle" that they actually used a chalk line!

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

If you came back a year from now and there was no chalk line, do you see a defect?

Different contractors have all kinds of different methods of marking things and using chalk lines... In the absence of any other visual defect, I'd have a hard time calling out only a chalk line.

Chad Fabry Guest

I can't think of any reason to "snap" a chalk line on those shingles. Is that the best defined nail line I've ever seen or was it actually a "snapped" line?

In either case; near the wall it's not too big of a deal,(if there is flashing and if they didn't face nail the shingles) but the coursing under the chimney is just ugly. If they had cut the shingles so the course lined up and they just glued the tabs there for aesthetics, ( not nailed) it would OK and look better than it does.

The chimney shingles are a defect if they're nailed. They're an assault to common aesthetics even if they're glued there. I'd much rather see the copper apron than more of the monotony of shingles. The copper is like punctuation in a long sentence.

It's way easier to cut the laminated shingles just above the nail line where there's only one thickness. That's what they've done at the expense of maintaining the course line.

Post Re: chalk line

Flashing under the shingles at the bottom is wrong...should be on top. You're not serious about the chalk line right?

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dalga View Post
    Flashing under the shingles at the bottom is wrong...should be on top.
    Looks to me like it is ... was ... and then another course of shingles 'glued' on top of the flashing.

Nothing wrong with that, other than they did a horrible looking job doing it (the shingles should have been cut to the right length, so they aligned with the bottoms of the shingles to each side.

Another thing I see is that, to the left of the chimney, the bottom of the third course down from the top aligns basically with the bottom of the chimney with a fourth course down aligning with the same course to the right of the chimney, however, that course of shingles to the right of the chimney is the third course down, not the fourth course down.

Wonder why? Did they stretch out the exposure on the right of the chimney to far?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bruce Lunsford Guest

I see what you're talking about Jerry, it may be just that the chimney is built out of square to the ridge of the roof - ie - the left edge of the chimney is lower than the right edge. That'd be my guess based on what I see in the pic. Not necessarily a defect of course, just poor workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fabry View Post
    I can't think of any reason to "snap" a chalk line on those shingles.
    It appears to be a Trim line as the chimney area was cut on the snapped line.

Never made it back to trim other area.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Chad Fabry Guest

Billy,

As a rule, one doesn't snap a line on one shingle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fabry View Post
    Billy,

As a rule, one doesn't snap a line on one shingle.
    Chad,

From the looks of the rest of the Job I don't think those Guys follow the Rules.

PS There are :Lines on that extend bottom,side of chimney and along and across flashed area.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 09-24-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Ps added
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.