Thread: Thanksgiving

John Ritter Guest

Default Thanksgiving

From South West Florida, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all..Eat lots and be safe

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Thanksgiving

Same to you John! And everyone else here.
    I'm heading out to the home of new son in law's brother for a family Thanksgiving. We only met some of the family a couple weeks ago at the wedding, so it should be a day of not remembering anyone's name.

My contribution (by request from host):
    Cornbread dressing.
    My cranberries made with Grand Mariner.
    Wife's deviled eggs.
    My Mom's apple pie recipe (made with red hots).
    And a pasta dish made with my cilantro/jalapeno pesto and alfredo sauce. (for the few that like HOT food (like my daughter and son in law).
    Hope everyone has a great day, and stay safe.

Having dinner at my daughters in Columbia SC. Thanksgiving is for family and friends and I consider you all best friends. Happy thanks giving to you all with hopes of health and prosperity.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Yes have a great Thanksgiving!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Same to you John! And everyone else here.
    I'm heading out to the home of new son in law's brother for a family Thanksgiving. We only met some of the family a couple weeks ago at the wedding, so it should be a day of not remembering anyone's name.

Cornbread dressing.
    Wife's deviled eggs.
    And a pasta dish made with my cilantro/jalapeno pesto and alfredo sauce. (for the few that like HOT food (like my daughter and son in law).

Jack, That sounds FANTASTIC!!!

Would you care to share the recipe?

Hope all had a wonderful Thanksgiving (IIRC up north they had week prior, so belated best wishes as well).

When we take a moment and actually think about it (and ignore the "woe is me" list) it doesn't take much time to realize there is much to be thankful for ("There by the grace of God, go I").

The holiday itself — Thanksgiving — is a state of mind. A state of gratitude.

We give thanks this day for our blessings. It is a spiritual day even for those who might deny spirituality.

We count our blessings. We notice and appreciate that which is good in our lives. We don’t waste the day on petty grievances and envies.

Today, after all, is Thanksgiving, a day to count blessings, not to complain. (Even if one is late-night prowling for a snack, and doesn't have cilantro/jalepano alfredo pasta to heat up and munch on!)

That is the essence of the holiday. And it is that essence that enriches our lives.

Give thanks this day and see how good it makes you feel.

Then ask yourself: If this feels so good, why don’t I give thanks every day?

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, find the joy and remember to count your blessings every day.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-22-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Happy (post) Thanksgiving Day

I did a Cajun style deep fried Turkey. A Cajun taught me how to fry them about 30 years ago and they have been a tradition for us ever since.
    Then the usual fixin's with a pumpkin goat cheese cheese cake for a change. (very good)
    All was great and the Houston-Detroit game was one of the more entertaining games that I've seen in a while.

Hope all was great with you guys. It has been fun and educational being a part of this forum.

John Ritter Guest

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving, ate to much, my chair even moaned when I sat down. SO today it's off to HD for the 22' folding ladder for $115.00. Czn't beat that.

Garry Blankenship Guest

My wife and I hosted a great gathering. Good fare and lively conversation. Soaking the turkey in a light brine over night really adds to the flavor and juciness, (?). Gotta say I'm pleased and impressed to see that the armor plated Watsonator has a soft underside.

Cornbread dressing.
    Wife's deviled eggs.
    Jack, I would love to have your mother's Apple Pie Recipe, is that something you would share along with your Pasta Recipe?? You can message me if you would like, that Pie sounds like something I would like to bake myself! Thanks!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

OK, here goes..
    Apple pie recipe is a basic apple pie, but she sprinkled red hot candies over the apples. Turns the pie red, and a lot of people will think its a cherry pie at first glance. I don't measure, but I would guess there is about 1/4 cup in an average pie. I'm not sure when she started putting red hots in pies, it seems like they were always there (starting as a kid).

Cilantro jalapeno pesto. Here is my basic recipe for the pesto.
    4 cups of cilantro
    6 - 8 cloves of garlic
    1 cup grated parmesean cheese
    3/4 cup of pine nuts (or pecans work too)
    olive oil (about 1/2 cup)
    6 - 8 jalapeños (depends on the level of heat you like) I usually cut the flesh (no seeds) for 4 of them and use 4 seeds and all)
    juice of 1 lime
    salt
    In a food processor I chop the garlic, then add the pine nuts and a little olive oil to get a fine paste (kind of like peanut butter). Remove from processor.
    Started chopping the cilantro (usually small batches) until its all chopped. I sprinkle each batch with a bit of salt as I go.
    When all of the cilantro is chopped, start adding the nut mixture a little at a time . You will have to drizzle olive oil during this process to keep it flowing.
    Add the cheese a little at a time, and blend until its fully mixed and you have added enough olive oil to get the right consistency.
    I then scoop the pesto into paper muffin cups and freeze for later use. This will make about 9 muffin cups.

Pasta
    I used a box of bow tie pasta, but use whatever you like.
    Cook pasta
    Onion chili mixture*
    2 1/2 muffin cups of pesto (about a cup I would guess)
    Basic White sauce (2 cups)
    1 pint half & half or heavy whipping cream (I use either one)
    1 cup grated parmeasan cheese
    4Tbl butter
    4 Tbl flour
    Make a basic roux with flour and butter. I cook mine down to where it is just starting to turn a light beige color, then whisk in the liquid and simmer until its smooth, and thickened, at the end stir in the pesto and cheese to thoroughly blend.
    When pasta is cooked, drain but let it stay slightly wet and return to pan. Add the sauce and stir to blend. Stir in the cooked onions/chili mixture.

*Onion chili mixture
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped green chilies ( I use roasted poblano and anaheim from the garden.
    2 or 3 grilled jalpenos
    olive oil

Star onion chile mixture when you first put pasta water on to boil, it takes a while.
    Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in skillet and sauté onion chili mixture slowly unit it is just short of being caramelized. You want the flavors to really blend and the onion to get on the sweet side, but not fully caramelized. I usually sprinkle a little cumin on the mixture when cooking.

By the time the water is boiling and you start the pasta you will have had time to cook the onion mixture and can do the white sauce during the cooking time.

The cilantro pesto is really good with chicken breast. I will pound a chicken breast and sauté in oilve oil and add a bit of pesto in the middle of the cooking cycle. After you remove the chicken form the pan, deglaze the pan with a bit of tequila and a little lime juice and pour over the chicken.
    Enjoy!

Keep in mind that I don't really measure when I cook, so the measurements given (except basic white sauce) are guestimates. I'm also not a heavy salt user, so you may need to adjust the amount of salt used for your tastes. Pasta dishes generally need more salt when served.

Thanks Jack, I appreciate you sharing something so personal... I will try my best to do the Pie justice! Thanks again.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Ted Menelly Guest

OK, here goes..
    Apple pie recipe is a basic apple pie, but she sprinkled red hot candies over the apples. Turns the pie red, and a lot of people will think its a cherry pie at first glance. I don't measure, but I would guess there is about 1/4 cup in an average pie. I'm not sure when she started putting red hots in pies, it seems like they were always there (starting as a kid).

Cilantro jalapeno pesto. Here is my basic recipe for the pesto.
    4 cups of cilantro
    6 - 8 cloves of garlic
    1 cup grated parmesean cheese
    3/4 cup of pine nuts (or pecans work too)
    olive oil (about 1/2 cup)
    6 - 8 jalapeños (depends on the level of heat you like) I usually cut the flesh (no seeds) for 4 of them and use 4 seeds and all)
    juice of 1 lime
    salt
    In a food processor I chop the garlic, then add the pine nuts and a little olive oil to get a fine paste (kind of like peanut butter). Remove from processor.
    Started chopping the cilantro (usually small batches) until its all chopped. I sprinkle each batch with a bit of salt as I go.
    When all of the cilantro is chopped, start adding the nut mixture a little at a time . You will have to drizzle olive oil during this process to keep it flowing.
    Add the cheese a little at a time, and blend until its fully mixed and you have added enough olive oil to get the right consistency.
    I then scoop the pesto into paper muffin cups and freeze for later use. This will make about 9 muffin cups.

Pasta
    I used a box of bow tie pasta, but use whatever you like.
    Cook pasta
    Onion chili mixture*
    2 1/2 muffin cups of pesto (about a cup I would guess)
    Basic White sauce (2 cups)
    1 pint half & half or heavy whipping cream (I use either one)
    1 cup grated parmeasan cheese
    4Tbl butter
    4 Tbl flour
    Make a basic roux with flour and butter. I cook mine down to where it is just starting to turn a light beige color, then whisk in the liquid and simmer until its smooth, and thickened, at the end stir in the pesto and cheese to thoroughly blend.
    When pasta is cooked, drain but let it stay slightly wet and return to pan. Add the sauce and stir to blend. Stir in the cooked onions/chili mixture.

*Onion chili mixture
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped green chilies ( I use roasted poblano and anaheim from the garden.
    2 or 3 grilled jalpenos
    olive oil

Star onion chile mixture when you first put pasta water on to boil, it takes a while.
    Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in skillet and sauté onion chili mixture slowly unit it is just short of being caramelized. You want the flavors to really blend and the onion to get on the sweet side, but not fully caramelized. I usually sprinkle a little cumin on the mixture when cooking.

By the time the water is boiling and you start the pasta you will have had time to cook the onion mixture and can do the white sauce during the cooking time.

The cilantro pesto is really good with chicken breast. I will pound a chicken breast and sauté in oilve oil and add a bit of pesto in the middle of the cooking cycle. After you remove the chicken form the pan, deglaze the pan with a bit of tequila and a little lime juice and pour over the chicken.
    Enjoy!

Keep in mind that I don't really measure when I cook, so the measurements given (except basic white sauce) are guestimates. I'm also not a heavy salt user, so you may need to adjust the amount of salt used for your tastes. Pasta dishes generally need more salt when served.

all sounded good until the addition of the cilantro. I got turned off of cilantro when I moved to Texas. Some folks out here believe if you cannot taste the cilantro heavily its no good. Way to many places make all their food taste like cilantro instead of the food it is added into. To much of that and it is all you taste for the rest of the day.

A couple weeks before Thanksgiving I was given the recipe for the apple pie and red hots. At the same time the woman gave me the baked apples and red hot basically making candied apples. Oh yum.

Ted, sorry you are a cilantro hater.... you can also use traditional pesto made with basil.

I once made a green chili apple pie. My wife hated it, but my chili friends loved it. You can't please everyone!

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted, sorry you are a cilantro hater.... you can also use traditional pesto made with basil.

I once made a green chili apple pie. My wife hated it, but my chili friends loved it. You can't please everyone!
    It is kinda like and pepper. It's in enhances flavor but if you use to much it will ruin the meal. I don't hate cilantro. But after I go out and get overwhelmed by it I just cannot even be around that smell for sometime.

I had to do two inspections on T-day.
    BTW, well said HG.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I had to do two inspections on T-day.
    BTW, well said HG.
    I did two on July 4th, but I've never done any on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Usually, I see a big fall off in business beginning the week of Thanksgiving until the second week of January.

Jack,Many thanks for your recipes! Spent the better part of last evening washing, drying and trimming cilantro and scortching/roasting then sweating & trimming peppers! What a production! The pesto is freezing the Onion mixture is chilling and looking forward to putting together the finished product tomorrow evening! I'm very much looking forward to it! Question, are the "red hots" the softer red candies with the thick sugar coating about the size of sm. pomagr. seeds, or the red cin. little "jaw breakers" about the size of large peas?Marc M., Thank you.

HG you are most welcome. Yes it is a little labor intensive! I usually roast chilies in batches and freeze them. I used a vacuum sealer, so they stay good for a long time. When I need some, I take out the frozen block and slice off what I need.

When I make pesto (basil or cilantro) I make it in big batches and freeze 24 - 36 muffin cups at a time.
    When I roast peppers there is usually a 5 gallon bucket full. The peeling and seeding is not all that much fun when there are that many.

The red hots are the little red candy.

Forgot to mention, its just fine to use some of the cilantro stems in the pesto, especially if they are small.

I would like to share how greatful I am for Jack having shared his recipe. The pasta was even more fantastic than I had imagined it would be. Tossed in some turkey slices which were coated with the pesto and pan heated with same, wilted some fresh baby spinach and brightened up with some lime squeezings for the finish.Wonderfull! Many thanks Jack!