Thread: Web sites.

Brian E Kelly Guest

Question Web sites.

I am finally getting around to getting a web site designed and up and running. I have gotten some general pricing that would cost me aprox #260.00/ year for web hosting and Domain name. Not sure this is in the ball park. I do like the fact that the web host company is located in my own town, as I feel it is always better to shop local. Anyway I am also not sure how much I should be paying for the set up process on building the site. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Web sites.

Brian H, the owner of this website builds websites and I think he will host them as well. Check with him.

I just switched over to Host Monster - Web hosting and I have been very happy with them. Very good price, very fast servers and you can talk to a real live person on the phone or via a live chat. They are out of Utah, not Punjab India! The price is much less than what you are being quoted. I think I'm paying around $80 a year. I left Yahoo as my old host, they were so bad that it took me over a month to transfer my service out of their hands. They were also triple the cost I'm now paying.

A very important thing is to be sure that you own your domain name. Many of these services are the owner of the domain name, and if you leave you are screwed.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian E Kelly View Post
    I am finally getting around to getting a web site designed and up and running. I have gotten some general pricing that would cost me aprox #260.00/ year for web hosting and Domain name. Not sure this is in the ball park. I do like the fact that the web host company is located in my own town, as I feel it is always better to shop local. Anyway I am also not sure how much I should be paying for the set up process on building the site. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, you need to check on their service. Google them and compare them against other host providers. As for building the site, be sure that it is not a cookie cutter site. You want an individual site and not one that is from a template.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

I just got all my domain names moved over to Go-Daddy. They are based in AZ ... Scottsdale I believe.

Good rates, good service.

wes owens Guest

Nolan,
    What are you paying per year if you don't mind me asking?

I'm trying to figure up the total cost from Go Daddy and I think it's around $56.00 a year.

Thats $4.49 per month for 12 months for web design & hosting, + $1.99 a year for your domain name.

Now, I may be leaving something out, which is why I was asking.

Host Monster is $7.95 a month ($95.40 for 1 year)
    or $5.95 a month ($142.80 for 2 years)
    and I think that covers everything, but again, I could be overlooking something in the total cost.

Scott,
    Is this pricing from Host Monster correct for everything I would need to start a website from scratch?

I just don't want to overlook any hidden cost or something that needs to be added.

Quote Originally Posted by wes owens View Post
    Nolan,

I'm trying to figure up the total cost from Go Daddy and I think it's around $56.00 a year.

Thats $4.49 per month for 12 months for web design & hosting, + $1.99 a year for your domain name.

Now, I may be leaving something out, which is why I was asking.

Host Monster is $7.95 a month ($95.40 for 1 year)
    or $5.95 a month ($142.80 for 2 years)
    and I think that covers everything, but again, I could be overlooking something in the total cost.

Scott,
    Is this pricing from Host Monster correct for everything I would need to start a website from scratch?

I just don't want to overlook any hidden cost or something that needs to be added.
    That's all that I pay. They do not design your website, they only host the site for you. They also offer a free service that hides your domain name registration information from anyone that does a Whois search.

Before I decided on who to use, I contacted their customer service department to see how easy it was to talk with a person. At first you will most likely need some support from them.

I think some sites charge a setup fee, but I don't recall Hostmonster doing that.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-09-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

wes owens Guest

Scott,
    Do they let you design your own website using their templates?

Louie Hoehn Guest

Here is a good hosting website, its called inspectors edge, it's a home inspector based and it has very easy to use templates, very easy to modify, it were i did my website, and for a computer idiot found it very easy and very professional looking, plus they give you a free 10 day trial here is the link Inspector's Edge - the online website builder for home inspectors

Joseph Hartz Guest

Here is my 4.95 per mo. web page. still under construction. And so is the biz.

Joseph Hartz Guest

Try this!

Joseph Hartz Guest

Ok my web page isnt comming up automaticly wonder whats up?

Joseph Hartz Guest

Joseph Hartz Guest

Realezsites is the place to go . thay are a big help

Scott,
    Do they let you design your own website using their templates?
    I don't think they have templates, but then you want to try and stay away from templates and cookie cutter web pages. The search spiders for the various search engines do not like them as they all look alike.

Try to build your own site by using the various web authoring programs, they are fairly simple. I think that Hostmonster provides a web authoring tool if you don't have one. I use Frontpage and it works very well for me. My site is not fancy but it pulls up good for the areas I work in.

I did learn from a friend that some host do not allow you to transfer a website if it was built on their site with their templates.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Joseph Hartz Guest

I am under the impression that weather or not a web site is "Found" vie search engins has to do with 3 things(or more). One is the Key words you put in the areas that the viewer does not see, Second is search engin submital and also a thing called a ppc engin (Pay per click) like google and others. That is how I understand and I hope someone will respond and build on this subject cause its clear as mud to me.

wes owens Guest

I was going to build my own but I don't have Front Page, and MS Word does not offer a lot to chose from.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Nolan,

Thats $4.49 per month for 12 months for web design & hosting, + $1.99 a year for your domain name. .......

Wes,

I've had my domain for sometime from a 3rd party re-seller of the Go-Daddy products. I just got around to moving them all over to Go-Daddy directly as the overall price for hosting was a bit cheaper.

I have a few domain names that I use and have them pointed to my main site. This is in case of "typos" on the part of potential clients, etc.

My current annual price for the main domain is $48.28 and that includes the domain privacy option.

E-mail is included and is free and I have many more e-mail accounts to use should I want to get that granular.

I use Microsoft FrontPage 2003 for building my website and it is easy and sort of fun.

I'm in the process of reworking it yet again. I just published an update within the past few weeks, but had a long talk with a website developer yesterday who gave me more input about things to do to gain better visibility from the Googles, Yahoos, MSNs, etc.

Have to watch keywords and many other things as the major SE's don't even use Meta Tags and Keywords much anymore.

Sry for the delay in getting this to you.

wes owens Guest

I have MicroSoft Office 2003 but not Front Page.
    I thought it would have been included.

However, after doing some research, I found out that Front Page has been discontinued and replaced with "Office SharePoint Designer 2007" and "Expression Web".

Now, I can download a free trial for 60 days and create my website. But I was wondering if I did that, and then after 60 days I wanted to change something on my website, would I be able to since I wouldn't have the software anymore?

Last edited by wes owens; 04-10-2007 at 01:41 PM.

I have MicroSoft Office 2003 but not Front Page.
    I thought it would have been included.

However, after doing some research, I found out that Front Page has been discontinued and replaced with "Office SharePoint Designer 2007" and "Expression Web".

Now, I can download a free trial for 60 days and create my website. But I was wondering if I did that, and then after 60 days I wanted to change something on my website, would I be able to since I wouldn't have the software anymore?
    Wes, You can use MS Publisher if you have that.
    Jim

Jim, in Calvert County, MD

wes owens Guest

Yea,
    I found Publisher 2003 and started creating a website.
    Time will tell.

I worked with lazrweb.com. The guy's name is Rich Patrick. To the "t" this guy has done every single thing that he promised. His follow up is excellent. He does have templates but by the time I got done my site resembles nothing like them. Of course I already have logo, text, etc from brochures I already had in print.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Tony Escamilla Guest

Thumbs up Re: Web sites.

Brian,

I have been using Go Daddy for a few years now and am TOTALLY happy with them. Their rates are very reasonable, both for registering the domain and hosting. They do not design you site, but have a cool template based design software. You can literally be up and running and about 30 minutes. Check out my site at Villa Home Inspections - Home Inspections by licensed, certified home inspectors to see what I have been able to do with it.

Of course, now I use MS Frontpage to edit the site (I got a "Dummy's" book) and have received nothing but compliments from my clients.

Go Daddy also offers email capability (with your domain), masking, credit card merchant service, marketing tools and website optimizers. The optimizer is well worth the monthly fee! It will increase your traffic tremendously.

Good luck!

Tony Escamilla
    Villa Home Inspections
    tony@inspectaproperty.com

I did my own site using FrontPage 2003. I bought it off of eBay for $150.00 It is worth it as it allows you to create pages directly on the server and upload files using windows drag and drop etc. Like any good tool you do not want to go cheap. Today I have 150 pages and rank in the top three positions for the cities around me on Google, Yahoo, MSN and AOL. Yes it is a labor of love and it has taken time but when slow I invest in it. It is far cheaper than paid ads. I always am looking for content to make my own. That is one of the ways to maintain higher rankings. I also have two pay per click campaigns one on Google and the other on Yahoo.

If you are trying to jumpstart your site and measuring results via google forgetta about it! Google parks all new sites in the sandbox for 6 months. You will have better luck on the other sites until your out of the sandbox. You will also need to learn about SEO. Google it and start learning. Its not rocket science. It just takes your time or you need to pay someone to do it for you

//Rick
    Pacific Crest Inspections Home inspections located in Anacortes offers home inspections in Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom and Island Counties

Last edited by Rick Bunzel; 04-23-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: add link

Ken Larson Guest

I've used Front Page for many years now and for me it's the greatest! I've build dozens of sites for myself, family, and even several local companies. It's a fun hobby, and with Front Page I don't need to know the html language.

I'm also a "Go-Daddy" nik! Great rates and great service, never has any problem with them. All for less than $50 per yr.

Ken

Tony Escamilla,
    Lord have Mercy man, Raise your rates.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Tony Escamilla Guest

Wink Re: Web sites.

Mike,

I would love to, but I would also like to eat next week : )

Not sure how NC is, but here in CA the market is very competitive. I research my competition every 3 months to keep tabs on what everyone is doing and charging. My rates are at or just slightly below my competitors regardless of the multitude of experience I have. And with the real estate market slowing down here CA, some of my competitors are starting to disappear already. Those overpriced guys are either lowering their prices or moving on to something else. My rates have stayed steady for just over a year now and I'm working 6 days a week, every week.

Believe it or not, it's in places like Beverly Hills, Bel Aire and Orange County that clients actually ASK for discounts. Can you believe that?

Anyway, that's the temp here in CA. How are things treating you in NC??

Market has slowed down for me in the last couple of months. I expect it to pick up shortly. I am middle ball park on the pricing around here. I start at $250.00 for 1000 sq. and under and increase $25.00 for every 250 sq. ft after that. It keeps me in toys so I can't complain.
    If you think about it, if you charged more you can work less days and make the same amount. Just a thought.

The cost of living in your area has to be much more then my area. I couldn't survive out there. Or I would have to marry one of those rich celeb's.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Tim Allison Guest

Google does not care or know what your site looks like visually. They only look at the code in the background.

For hosting use HostGator, you will not regret it. If you need to hire someone to do your site then make sure they are doing keyword optimization for you that includes your town and services. Most cheap services can afford to be cheap because they do literally nothing to get you good rankings. That does nothing for you unless you are only wanting site traffic from your business cards.

List your site on Google Places yourself.

If you make your site yourself the easiest and best way is to use HostGator and have them help you install a Wordpress site. It is very easy. Then google to find a free template for Inspector themes for Wordpress. Install the theme you like. Then put in your info.

YouTube is full of videos that will show you how to do everything you need for free.

Or find someone that knows what they are doing and pay them just like you expect to be paid.

I was going to build my own but I don't have Front Page, and MS Word does not offer a lot to chose from.
    There are free tools to build websites. One I use is Kompozer and it works well. You are looking for a "WYSIWYG" What You See Is What You Get application that works much like a regular word processor. I used it here: PrivateInspect.com

I've used the built-in applications from Microsoft on their Business Live site for this one:MagicLeakFinders and templates from my hosting provider. (www.downtownhost) for this one: Thermal-Diagnostics in the past. All worked pretty well and I have versions of all of them up and running currently. They all get found. That depends on many things, all grouped under the heading of "SEO" or Search Engine Optimization. What ever tool you use, the SEO needs to be considered as part of the design.

I've recently branched out and become a "social media virtual assistant" and can help you utilize social media platforms to expand your reach using free tools. PM me for information about this or contact me here: Master of Buzz

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

I decided to upgrade my web site using FrontPage 2003. I find it to be a real pain to use.

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    I decided to upgrade my web site using FrontPage 2003. I find it to be a real pain to use.
    Front Page has a real bad rep in the web world. It does "non-standard" things when it builds a page. It's not web standards compliant. Some browsers do not display your site properly when built with FP. Some hosting companies don't even support it.

The easiest to use is the site builder software provided by most hosting companies. Between that and the templates they offer, it's pretty easy to knock together a site. Also look at Microsoft Office Live. (The web service, not the office suite.) They have a program that I used (and still do) for one of my sites. Very flexible and easy to use and the user forum for it is great.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Tim Allison Guest

Again, I really recommend using Wordpress. It is super easy to get things looking like you want without having to know very much. Look at LosAngelesHome-Inspection.com, Orange County Remodel Home of Kens Designs, and Homes/Houses for sale in Upland, Claremont, Rancho Cucamonga and all Foothill communities as examples of what can be done with Wordpress. Those were all done by my web guy and he uses Wordpress for everything. There are thousands of free templates that you can use that do all of the thinking for you. Just sign up with Host Gator for your hosting for under $10 a month and ask the support people to help you out setting up the basic site.

You can find me doing home inspections in Los Angeles, mold inspection in Los Angeles, mold inspection in Riverside, home inspection in riverside, and even the occasional Crystal Valley home inspection.

Today gave up on Frontpage and broke down and decided to go with godaddy for domain, hosting and a basic site(for now). It, was pretty cheap. However, their website is so big and scattered, what a confusing mess of hoops to jump through to get setup. Only to find out after, their website builder is an extra expense.
    I hope when I build my better site, the upload isn't going to be the same circus, such as when I called tech and got a sales pitch and had to drag what I wanted to know out of the tech.

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

Tim Allison Guest

Bob, seriously, please go with HostGator.com. They are cheap, super helpful (trust me, their support people answer my questions about things they aren't even supposed to, and at all hours of the night,). They will walk you through setting up a regular HTML site with their FREE builder or setting up a superior Wordpress site. They have never tried to upsell me ever. I should get a commission for selling them so hard but I don't. I have put up sites through 4 or 5 different outfits and will never leave HostGator.

To see what can be done with a 1 click install of a theme, check out the themes at Premium WordPress Themes | Elegant Themes. They are super cheap and awesome and have support. If you decide that you want to use another theme it is basically 3 clicks to change the whole site.

Another company that has great support for their Wordpress themes is StudioPress - Premium WordPress Themes. They are still affordable for single themes and I have experienced their very good support. Between them and HostGator there is nothing you can't figure out. Check out the themes and you will be impressed with how beautiful your site can look without to much trouble -- certainly much less than with HTML.

I love doing Home inspections in Los Angeles, Mold inspections in Riverside, and Home inspections in Palm Desert.

Doug Haglund Guest

Go-Daddy Go & design yourself.

wow, this is an old thread

If anyone is interested. I built my first website using MS Publisher. It was relatively simple and I liked playing around with it. I even had several people, including professional web designers say that it looked good. It wasn't flashy and got the point across. It worked well for few years until IE8 came out. IE8 rendered the page oddly and to top it off, Firefox never rendered the site well at all. So now I was at the point where I had to do something and didn't have the time or ability to design something that would work across several browsers.

I contacted Dominic at Home Inspector Pro. He has templates and I can control the content. It works across all browser platforms. He's very helpful and is "always there". I have two sites now and I am happy to pay the monthly fee.

I derive 60% of my business from the internet and have evolved in my websites over time. I'm convinced that most people surf like I do. I want quick info without a lot of flash and glitz. If there's too much to read; I won't.

So I've cut out a lot on my sites. Keep in mind, I do have some longer documents on there but that is for SEO, key phrases, words, etc... The stuff people will actually read is small.

All my opinion,
    Bruce

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Oh, and I buy all of my url's (about 8) from GoDaddy at multi-year discounts.

Tim
    I'm going to look into word press, as from my limited knowledge that I have on the sub. of web design, word press was for blogs which from what I have gathered, are essentially web sites.
    I also have MS Publisher 2003, is that worth working with. I have created some simple things with it but I have not tried web design although it appears it have site templates.
    I catch your linking technique. Lol

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

Tom Camp Guest

I use Host Gator and pay about $115 a year for web hosting with two domain names. Word Press is a great tool, and you can build a complete website with it as well as blogging.

http://www.tomcampinspectionservicec.com
    Colorado Springs Home Inspector
    HUD / FHA 203k Consultant

Can some body give me an idea of how WordPress is used. Do you download it to your computer, build the site and then upload the constructed site to the host like HTML editing software?

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    wow, this is an old thread

If anyone is interested. I built my first website using MS Publisher. It was relatively simple and I liked playing around with it. I even had several people, including professional web designers say that it looked good. It wasn't flashy and got the point across. It worked well for few years until IE8 came out. IE8 rendered the page oddly and to top it off, Firefox never rendered the site well at all. So now I was at the point where I had to do something and didn't have the time or ability to design something that would work across several browsers.

I contacted Dominic at Home Inspector Pro. He has templates and I can control the content. It works across all browser platforms. He's very helpful and is "always there". I have two sites now and I am happy to pay the monthly fee.

I derive 60% of my business from the internet and have evolved in my websites over time. I'm convinced that most people surf like I do. I want quick info without a lot of flash and glitz. If there's too much to read; I won't.

So I've cut out a lot on my sites. Keep in mind, I do have some longer documents on there but that is for SEO, key phrases, words, etc... The stuff people will actually read is small.

All my opinion,
    Bruce
    Glad to help Bruce

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

What about WordPress templates, would that be a way to get the ball rolling faster than starting from scratch.

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

For what it is worth, I use Homestead | Make a FREE Website - Create a Website in Mins - Build Your Own Website Today and built the website myself. I make changes as needed.

Home

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

I have been with HostMonster - Web Hosting for about 4 years. Never had any issues, their servers are quick their pricing is good. They offer plenty of tools, bells and whistles to go with their hosting service.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

aplus.net Lots of templates to choose from but I keep it simple.
    Hosting, website creator, endless emails and web submission, Google submission and countless other goodies along with a domain name or 2 or 3 for under a 200.00

I've been with Godaddy hosting for about four days now. My opinion is it SUCKS!!! Their website sucks, their website tonight, site builder sucks. Their main site and site builder has so many paths you get lost and can't find your way back. You spend tons of time going in circles searching to find what you want and if your lucky you stumble on to it, while looking for something else.
    Boy, I made a bad choice!

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

I've been with Godaddy hosting for about four days now. My opinion is it SUCKS!!! Their website sucks, their website tonight, site builder sucks. Their main site and site builder has so many paths you get lost and can't find your way back. You spend tons of time going in circles searching to find what you want and if your lucky you stumble on to it, while looking for something else.
    Bob, if you give them a call you can ask to have your money refunded and applied towards your domain name for future years. We've had quite a few people do that in the past and they're pretty good about it.

Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Maricic View Post
    Bob, if you give them a call you can ask to have your money refunded and applied towards your domain name for future years. We've had quite a few people do that in the past and they're pretty good about it.
    Yes, they will do that. I've used them for about 10 or 12 years now.

The Website Tonight site builder is NOT for you. That is something for your hobby, small club or just something to play with. It is not for commercial application.

I only use Godaddy to buy my domain names and I get the private registration.

Shameless plug: Call Dominic

Here are my two websites take a look at them: Tyler Texas Home Inspector | Tyler Home Inspector and Home Inspector for Tyler, Lindale, Whitehouse, Mineola, Bullard and all of East Texas | Thompson Property Inspection

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Bob R ...

As noted by Dominic and Bruce GoDaddy is very good about changes you may want to make and refunds.

I've been with them for 9+ years and overall have never had a major problem.

Their site menu does not give me any problems such as you are experiencing.

Maybe it was their Joan Rivers commercial that hit you the wrong way??

[QUOTE=JB Thompson;158930]

QUOTE]

I agree, this is coming from someone that hasn't figured out posting photos here, or texting yet, but I was able to figure out about 50% of whats required to do a website that works, [I guess it works since I got 8 or 9 inspections from it over the past year] with Dom's layouts.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

[QUOTE=Dan Harris;159008]
    Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post

QUOTE]

I agree, this is coming from someone that hasn't figured out posting photos here, or texting yet, but I was able to figure out about 50% of whats required to do a website that works, [I guess it works since I got 8 or 9 inspections from it over the past year] with Dom's layouts.
    Thanks Dan! Glad to hear it working for you. If you put some more time into it you'll do that each month. I'll be doing a talk out there again this year so come there or to Vegas!