Default Work around for XP version of 3D software on Windows 8

Looks like I'm going to be forced to give up the old Inspiron 5150 with XPpro due to windows stopping support of XP. I have licensed 3D running but have not paid the extortion fee's to 3D for upgrades and now need to find a work around for XP version of 3D software on Windows 8. Someone posted how they are doing it several months ago but I can't find the post. (Guess I now see where thread drifts can send you into the ditch!) Any help appreciated.

OREP Insurance
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Work around for XP version of 3D software on Windows 8

Just because Microsoft will stop supporting XP, doesn't mean you have to stop using it.

You won't get any updates, etc, but if your systems are working, you can keep using them until you upgrade the hardware, which will them come with a new OS.

If you already upgraded, then I don't have any suggestions. Sorry.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Looks like I'm going to be forced to give up the old Inspiron 5150 with XPpro due to windows stopping support of XP. I have licensed 3D running but have not paid the extortion fee's to 3D for upgrades and now need to find a work around for XP version of 3D software on Windows 8. Someone posted how they are doing it several months ago but I can't find the post. (Guess I now see where thread drifts can send you into the ditch!) Any help appreciated.
    This is why so many have left 3D over the past few years! I moved to Home Inspector Pro last year for the same reason, 3D wanted almost $1000 from me after being with them since their program was in DOS. I'm now a Happy Camper with HIP. You can't beat their support, the actually seem to enjoy helping folks instead of making everything your fault or making you feel like an idiot as the did at 3D.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    This is why so many have left 3D over the past few years! I moved to Home Inspector Pro last year for the same reason, 3D wanted almost $1000 from me after being with them since their program was in DOS. I'm now a Happy Camper with HIP. You can't beat their support, the actually seem to enjoy helping folks instead of making everything your fault or making you feel like an idiot as the did at 3D.
    I've been through several threads looking for the phantom post and was most deterred from moving to HIP by the lack of a data base to follow inspections, customers, billing etc. Has HIP added anything to address this?

I've been through several threads looking for the phantom post and was most deterred from moving to HIP by the lack of a data base to follow inspections, customers, billing etc. Has HIP added anything to address this?
    Vern,

I have hesitated moving to HIP for much the same reason. My understanding is that Dominic feels he should be good at the inspection software rather than branch out to include the database as well. I would prefer to have the database integrated into the software myself. 3D uses a Microsoft Access file to create the database. Seems like it would be possible for HIP to modify their software to do the same. I suppose I could continue to use the MS Access database that 3D uses. It would just mean creating my own form in access. I' did that a number of years ago. Shouldn't be too hard.

You might try loading your current 3D software onto a Windows 7 machine. That's what I did. You can find some new computers running Windows 7 on Amazon. I just got one a couple of weeks ago for under $500. Personally, I cannot stand Windows 8 and the version of 3D that I am using will not print on Windows 8.

What version of 3D are you running?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Vern,

I have hesitated moving to HIP for much the same reason. My understanding is that Dominic feels he should be good at the inspection software rather than branch out to include the database as well. I would prefer to have the database integrated into the software myself. 3D uses a Microsoft Access file to create the database. Seems like it would be possible for HIP to modify their software to do the same. I suppose I could continue to use the MS Access database that 3D uses. It would just mean creating my own form in access. I' did that a number of years ago. Shouldn't be too hard.

You might try loading your current 3D software onto a Windows 7 machine. That's what I did. You can find some new computers running Windows 7 on Amazon. I just got one a couple of weeks ago for under $500. Personally, I cannot stand Windows 8 and the version of 3D that I am using will not print on Windows 8.

What version of 3D are you running?
    I'm way back at 10.1.10 The reason I am looking into this is both because of XP support going away and because the ole DELL is getting slow by today's standards. I do have 3D backed up on another old desk top that I only plug in every several months to install updates, but I don't like working on it. I didn't know there might be a problem printing with W8. If there is a way to incorporate the data base, that could swing me over to HIP.

No, nothing yet! Gunner covered it pretty well. Several of us who use HIP and want to see them add a client data function are pretty vocal about it. But, it has not gotten us very far. Dominic is dead set on forcing folks to use ISN if you want a client database, etc. At $4 an inspection ISN becomes very costly if you are doing any volume.

I'm trying to get HIP to create a QuickBooks interface that would download the clients name, inspection amount, date, etc. Dominic has not said No to this idea, more of we will look into it.....

Still, HIP is one of the better programs with the best customer service I have seen available for our profession.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

If I was buying a new laptop now, I'd look for one running Win 7, as mentioned, still available.
    Or, if you find a laptop you like, buy it without an OS, take it to a computer geek and ask him to install the OS of your choice.

XP may not be a bad choice. The viruses and malware target the newer machines, so you might just slide thru unscathed with the older OS. This was true in the past, but don't take my word for it. But who needs support if it's not broken?
    I'm sailing along with Vista, am used to it now. When it came out there were many disgruntled users, so they fixed it. The same will happen with Win8 and the software producers.

Maybe the 3D people are tired of home inspectors. How can they ignore the drastic drop in biz?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Jeff Knight Guest

Vern,
    I am not sure what all the issues are with Windows 8 and 3D but I am assuming it may be related to security and privilege settings. If you are using a PocketPC still you may want to give us a call. Our software runs on these devices still and we also have an Office system we designed years ago for keeping track of your inspections....no $4 per inspection cost. It is a stand alone app but some of our inspector clients like it.