NMatts Guest

Default Flex pipe from gas line

Having read around on furnace issues I have come up with this question: From the gas line to the gas valve inside the furnace, I see two elbows, 3 couples and 2 unions which make for roughly 8 joint points where seal has been applied. This gives rise to high probability of gas leak from one of the joint points.

Would it not be wise to connect a flexible gas connection from gas supply line to the joint point for the gas valve. This way I am reducing the leak potential by 6 points and also reducing the tension on the gas valve and further making room to move in the event of some push or force to the furnace i.e. flexible piping won't break off but move along the impact or push to a certain degree atleast.

If flex pipe is ok, then can it go all the way to the gas valve or I still need a 4-5" union and join the flex pipe to it once it is protuding out of the furnace on the side. Total flex pipe distance should not even be 6 inches and may be 12 inches if going all the way to gas valve.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Flex pipe from gas line

Quote Originally Posted by NMatts View Post
    Having read around on furnace issues I have come up with this question: From the gas line to the gas valve inside the furnace, I see two elbows, 3 couples and 2 unions which make for roughly 8 joint points where seal has been applied. This gives rise to high probability of gas leak from one of the joint points.

Would it not be wise to connect a flexible gas connection from gas supply line to the joint point for the gas valve. This way I am reducing the leak potential by 6 points and also reducing the tension on the gas valve and further making room to move in the event of some push or force to the furnace i.e. flexible piping won't break off but move along the impact or push to a certain degree atleast.

If flex pipe is ok, then can it go all the way to the gas valve or I still need a 4-5" union and join the flex pipe to it once it is protuding out of the furnace on the side. Total flex pipe distance should not even be 6 inches and may be 12 inches if going all the way to gas valve.
    In some areas, hard piping is required. All areas should have a permit to do gas line repairs. From what I can tell you are describing an improper installation.
    Very seldom will you have leaks in rigid gas pipe that is properly installed. Leave it alone if it is not broken.

That said, flex connectors are acceptable in most areas when properly installed and do make life easier on the installer.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No.

Your use of terms is incorrect, as is your apparent non-understanding of safety standards, etc.

Your furnace should not be mobile.

You require a sed trap which must be servicable before the appliance gas valve. Unions are required for changes in equipment and servicability. Appliance connectors are not a replacement for required gas distributon plumbing.

This really isn't a how-to site. I suggest you acquire the services of a professional.

NMatts Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    No.

Your use of terms is incorrect, as is your apparent non-understanding of safety standards, etc.

Your furnace should not be mobile.

You require a sed trap which must be servicable before the appliance gas valve. Unions are required for changes in equipment and servicability. Appliance connectors are not a replacement for required gas distributon plumbing.

This really isn't a how-to site. I suggest you acquire the services of a professional.
    The thing is after two eblows and others, there is like a 10 degree bent in the gas line coming down from the ceiling to the furnace. While it has been there for a while but is that ok to live with. No one wants furnace to be mobile, that is not the main concern. The main issue is to avoid the 8 seal points. It is like if you are driving a 4 wheeled car vrs 8 wheeled one, your chances of getting a flat are twice in the second case.

Btw, what is a sed trap?

Quote Originally Posted by NMatts View Post
    The main issue is to avoid the 8 seal points. It is like if you are driving a 4 wheeled car vrs 8 wheeled one, your chances of getting a flat are twice in the second case.
    When you install gas piping all joints are sealed and you are required to check for leaks. Simply counting the number of joints is a crude way of assessing whether one gas pipe installation is safer than another.

Btw, what is a sed trap?
    Sediment trap.

Of all the leaks I run into at housepipe run to equipment, they are at flex connector fittings 9 times out of 10. 10 times out of 10, leaks are an installation issue.......

Street ells, unions, and flex connectors are much more prone to leak than other fittings.

As has already been stated, the number of fittings don't matter.

In CA, most gas appliances are connected with a flexible connector. But then again, we like our gas appliances to move! (think earthquake)

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/