Gene Davis Guest

Default HVAC unit and WH in garage

Can someone cite me a code section that would, in an Illinois jurisdiction that has adopted the IRC, IMC, IFGC all 2006, prevent HVAC units and water heaters from being located in the garage, WITHOUT a wall being built to create a separate "mechanical room?"

Am working on a house design that has no other place to put the equipment, other than the garage.

And may the electrical service panel go there, also?

I'm being told that the locals will require this be all in a "room" separated from the garage.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: HVAC unit and WH in garage

Leave "designing" plans to registered design professionals who can "draw" specify and stamp plans.

Elevations, and bollards/walls to prevent vehicle impact side, most likely:

Must be located (WH) in insulated, somewhat conditioned space, otherwise plumbing is subject to freezing. The WH falls under Illinois Plumbing Code (except in the City of Chicago) which trumps all others regarding restrictions. Many residential water heaters are not designed or listed to be used/installed in outdoors or in areas subject to lower temperatures (such as below 50 degrees), Few, other than those specificlly designed for same and listed for manufactured home/mobile home installation are, and are safe to place in the winter climate zones most of Illinois is subject to. Since the WH requires a TPRV discharge it must be protected from freezing as well. Design temperatures above grade winter temps see locally ammended Ch. 3, sec 301 tables of IRC. The Forced Air Furnace cannot return air and/or use combustion air if applicable from the unseparated garage, and may not be used to "condition" or heat the garage space. Check with the AHJ regarding Zoning requirements, set-backs, etc. If in the County of Cook, Cook County ordinances may trump local home-rule.Although you referenced the IFGC, which suggests either or both considered are natural gas fired appliances, I don't recall your having stated same. IIRC state-wide NFPA 54 is adopted, IFGC locally adopted doesn't superceed more restrictive requirements of NFPA 54. Why list location as "united states" and ask question specific to an unnammed non-Chicago, Illinois jurisdiction?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Codes aside Gene, not having the equipment in an enclosed room is bad practice and I would not recommend it. Even if some code permitted it I would still write in my report that an enclosure was necessary. Remember that codes are minimum requirements and do not necessarily mean that there will not be problems down the road with some installation.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Can someone cite me a code section that would, in an Illinois jurisdiction that has adopted the IRC, IMC, IFGC all 2006, prevent HVAC units and water heaters from being located in the garage, WITHOUT a wall being built to create a separate "mechanical room?"

Am working on a house design that has no other place to put the equipment, other than the garage.

And may the electrical service panel go there, also?

I'm being told that the locals will require this be all in a "room" separated from the garage.
    You need to contact the AHJ (Code official) in your town or area and get it from them firsthand! They will tell you what they want if you ask....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com