Default gas pipe through heat duct

I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it after a quick search. This csst gas pipe passes into and through a furnace air return duct. Any comments?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: gas pipe through heat duct

CSST manufacturer's installation requirements dictate a separation between the CSST and metal ducts, pipes, conduit etc.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: gas pipe through heat duct

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Melville View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it after a quick search. This csst gas pipe passes into and through a furnace air return duct. Any comments?
    I'll throw you an IFGC/IRC example, but it is not allowed under the gas-fitting, mechanical, fuel gas, codes, structurally regarding fireblocking and the floor/ceiling assembly above, duct standards, and for many hosts of reasons, as pictured.

Using 2009 unmmended IRC, Chapter 24 Fuel Gas, because I'm being quick and not taking the time to check your specific locale, which I suspect uses RCNYS and I forget what parts of which standard fuel gas code it ammends (NFPA 54 or IFGC) and not taking the time to check the Uniform codes.

quick first, easiest prohibition:

2009 IRC
    Chapter 24 - Fuel Gas
    SECTION G2415 (404) PIPING SYSTEM INSTALLATION

G2415 (404.1) Prohibited locations. Piping shall not be installed in or through a ducted supply, return or exhaust, or a clothes chute, chimney or gas vent, dumbwaiter or elevator shaft. Piping installed downstream of the point of delivery shall not extend through any townhouse unit other than the unit served by such piping.

Clickable link (load active X & scroll down to citation): Chapter 24 - Fuel Gas

technically, I believe you have pictured a return air plenum receiving return air from floor(s) above and recieving air from more than one opening/duct.

HTH.