rebecca hayes Guest

Default Anyone willing to teach?

Hello everybody! I have been doing residential and commercial insurance inspections and am interested in learning as much as possible. I live just outside of Chicago and am cjrious wherher anyone local would consider taking on a part time unpaid apprentice? Thanks for reading!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Anyone willing to teach?

Around here (Pennsylvania), prospective home inspectors are required to take part in at least 100 home inspections with established inspectors, before doing any on their own.

And, this apprenticeship not only doesn't pay, most of the time the apprentice pays the inspector per inspection. This can add up and it is the main barrier to becoming a home inspector in PA.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Around here (Pennsylvania), prospective home inspectors are required to take part in at least 100 home inspections with established inspectors, before doing any on their own.

And, this apprenticeship not only doesn't pay, most of the time the apprentice pays the inspector per inspection. This can add up and it is the main barrier to becoming a home inspector in PA.
    I paid $3,500.00 for my 100 ride-along inspections ($35.00 per inspection). I learned a lot so I looked at is as money well spent.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I paid $3,500.00 for my 100 ride-along inspections ($35.00 per inspection). I learned a lot so I looked at is as money well spent.
    Nick - I think I coughed up $40 per, but, as you say, worth it.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Hi Rebecca,

I joined my local ASHI chapter, introduced myself and asked for ride-alongs. I had little succes until I self printed a few busimess cards printed with the usual contact information plus the words "ride-alongs needed". That week I had several offers and six months later I completed my required 100 inspections. The fees ranged from free to $40.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Illinois is a licensed state. Unless participating in a field activity of an accredited and insured learning program, and since "grandfathering" has expired, and if not one of the other active licensed, and insured, professionals allowed to engage in the practice of home inspection, I suspect an uninsured, unschooled, and unexamined "ride along" for an active HI who is not an instructor for a program you are enrolled in, engaging in a paid professional home inspection, to take along an unknown, uninsured party, to the property of others (in your uninsured, workers compensation, injury, general liabiity, completed operations, unbonded, no background check, no verification of child support/tax status, etc.) to be unlikely.

Without the required education requirements having been completed, an unicensed, unassociated free-bie ride-along/walk-along unlikely without someone/some entity vetted and insured you/your activities -- otherwise the "hosting" HI becomes the defacto imdemnity/insurer/deep (or not-so-deep) pocket (ouch!).

There are organized programs and "open house" career-day type events, mock inspection field training programs, etc. Have you checked your non-credit and credit programs at your local community or city college? the adult education programs sponsored by your high school districts? The verbiage and links at the IDFPR.com (Ill Dept Financial & Professional Regulation) site? Risk Surveys and Asset and/or Insurance work is apples & oranges to Home Inspection. Commercial/Industrial property inspection standards are another "story" altogether.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca hayes View Post
    Hello everybody! I have been doing residential and commercial insurance inspections and am interested in learning as much as possible. I live just outside of Chicago and am cjrious wherher anyone local would consider taking on a part time unpaid apprentice? Thanks for reading!
    Hi Rebecca,

Good luck in your future. If you want to learn more about Home Inspections; it is a good idea to do some rides along. I don't know if they will fulfill your licensing needs, but still a good idea; especially if you decide to pursue this career.

I would suggest you contact Bob Elliott (elliotthomeinspection@gmail.com). He is a good guy and may be willing to help you out.

But first go back and correct your typos.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

rebecca hayes Guest

Maybe what I should have asked is how does one become licensed? And, once licensed, how does the job market look for this field? Who do you market yourself to once licensed? I am interested in in learning and figured this would be a good place to start. As for any typos, rest assured I can spell just fine. And although I don't know this field as the people here do, I am well educated, just interested in a career change. Thank you all for the advice offered. Sarcasm and assumptiins are unwelcome. This is a genuine interest looking only for genuine answers.

Maybe what I should have asked is how does one become licensed? And, once licensed, how does the job market look for this field? Who do you market yourself to once licensed? I am interested in in learning and figured this would be a good place to start. As for any typos, rest assured I can spell just fine. And although I don't know this field as the people here do, I am well educated, just interested in a career change. Thank you all for the advice offered. Sarcasm and assumptiins are unwelcome. This is a genuine interest looking only for genuine answers.
    You need to look up the IL license requirements, your state will have a website that you can Google and get everything you need. You will have to pass the state license exam, which is a modified version of the National Home Inspector Exam. You will want to attend a home inspection school, ASHI has one in Des Planes, IL that they offer several times a year. I would estimate that you should have around $15,000 to commit to starting your business (Training, license fees, insurance, equipment, reporting software, etc..) This is only to get your doors open for business.....

You will be self-employed, very few inspection firms will hire an inexperienced inspector. Also multi-inspector firms are not as common as they use to be due to the decline in the marketplace.

The outlook is good after 2-3 years or after you have built your name and business. This profession has about a 10% success rate after five years.....

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 12-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

. As for any typos, rest assured I can spell just fine... And although I don't know this field as the people here do, I am well educated, just interested in a career change... Sarcasm and assumptiins are unwelcome. This is a genuine interest looking only for genuine answers.
    One thing to realize is that after you have completed your state mandated training, passed the exam requirements, and set up shop as a home inspector, the posts that you put up on this board and others will remain in place. Potential clients will often find your name from this site or other forums. Hurried, poorly worded and error laden posts may be enough to convince potential clients that you may not be a good fit for their needs and they may move to the next name on the list without giving you a chance.
    This site is a great resource, there are any number of knowledgeable, experienced inspectors and others who are more than willing to share that experience. You will need a thick skin if you are going to post here though, learn to take constructive criticism for what it is and you can learn a lot here.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Rebecca,

I tried to give you the best advice I had, and I had no bad intent.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Maybe what I should have asked is how does one become licensed? (1) And, once licensed, how does the job market look for this field? Who do you market yourself to once licensed? I am interested in in learning and figured this would be a good place to start. As for any typos, rest assured I can spell just fine. And although I don't know this field as the people here do, I am well educated (2), just interested in a career change. Thank you all for the advice offered. Sarcasm and assumptiins are unwelcome (3). This is a genuine interest looking only for genuine answers (4).
    (1) Your stated location is Chicago area, Illinois. I pointed you already to GET those answers from the STATE (who licenses) web site, and provided you with the address (IDFPR.com), Division of Professional Regulation.

Here you go (clickable link): State of Illinois : Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

See the "Select A Profession Title to View" Drop down list "Select a Proffession"? Look up and click on the following: Home Inspector, Home Inspector Eduction Prov(ider), and Home Inspector Entity.

Each of these will bring you to a page. Review the links including the Statutes, Administrative Code, and Rules.

(2) Apparently not enough as per your posts (opening & follow-up) in this discussion.

(3) There was no sarcasm. An honest synopsis. You now have a precise clickable link with instructions; no excuses: Read and Learn.

(4) From the quoted above, I think not; as you got exactly what you claim to have asked for; and there is no free lunch, not even free milk.

You should have easily found this page:

State of Illinois | IDFPR FAQ pages

Q. What are the requirements for becoming licensed as a Home Inspector?
    A. All Home Inspectors practicing in Illinois must be at least 21 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent course of study (GED). Each license applicant must successfully complete 60 hours of pre-license education from an education provider licensed by DFPR. After completing the 60-hour pre-license course, applicants must take and pass the Illinois Home Inspector License Exam. After passing the license exam, applicants must submit the application and fee.

Q. How can I sign up for a 60-hour Pre-License Course?
    A.
    Contact an approved Pre-License Education Provider. Enrollment policies and registration fees for these courses vary from school to school. To view a list of approved Pre-License Education Providers visit the following website:

http://www.idfpr.com/DPR/RE/HIPreLicenseProviders.asp

Q. Can I tke a home study course for my Pre-License Education?
    A. You may take a home study course from a Pre-License Education Provider after it has been approved by DFPR. Click the link in the question above for a list of Education Providers that provide home study courses. Please be advised that home study courses, like all Pre-License courses, are required to offer a minimum of 5 Field Inspection Events. This portion of the instruction requires on-site training (not home study).

Q. How do I register to take the licensure exam?
    A. Register for the exam by calling AMP (Applied Measurement Professionals) at 800.345.6559 or by visiting AMP's website at http://www.goamp.com/. Exams are given at several different locations throughout Illinois Monday through Saturday. AMP will provide you with information as to your nearest testing site and the available exam dates.

Q. What are the fees involved?

A. Pre-License Course Fees: Fees are set by the Education Provider.

Examination Fee: $118.00 (payable to AMP)

License Application Fee: $250.00 (payable to DFPR).

Home Inspector License Act Administrative Rule(s):

PART 1410 HOME INSPECTOR LICENSE ACT : Sections Listing

Home Inspector License Act - 225 ILCS 441:

225*ILCS*441/**Home Inspector License Act.

State Law REquires Illinois Home Inspector License: State of Illinois : Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

And finally for the truly lazy, Home Inspector Pre-License Education Providers: State of Illinois : Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

If you check that last link you'll find a HOST of Chicago Area Community College programs AND a score of chicago area for-profit programs, as well as a significant number of those approved for home-study.

None of them are "free", those associated with community college programs often the least expensive (as local tax dollars support the local community college system in Illiinois).. Have at it, but knock off the entitled attitude.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-05-2012 at 01:43 AM.