Default Well Pump Wiring

I don't get too many wells, but do end up with 8- 10 a year. Is the NM wiring for the pump and pressure switch supposed to be protected with flex or type MC cable? I have never seen it protected in the well house, but it seems like it would be required. Is this part of the "subject to damage" argument?

Also, what about the triplex that drops down into the well to the pump? Is that supposed to be protected where it is exposed inside the well house?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Re: Well Pump Wiring

Applying "subject to physical damage" is iffy IMHO in that well housing and probably a jurisdictional call. However, it is not allowed outside, ( wet or damp locations ), unless it's specially approved for U/G installation, ( type UF I think ). Also supposed to be supported w/i 12" of the box and/or termination. Even if it was type UF, those two screw connectors are not allowed in wet or damp locations.

It very uncommon to have the well pump controller in side the well casing. Up here its placed in the basement at the incoming supply line and pressure tank.
    The problem where its located is corrosion of the contacts due to moisture.

The electrical lines feed out from the controller box to the well pump through conduit (usually polybutylene 1" piping, in every instance I have seen over the years.

Normally in flex. Since that appears to be a below grade well pit, that wiring is probably at the discretion of the local code. I rarely see those kind of installations, but the one I saw last August also had exposed wiring. I called it out (but like you, I wasn't 100% sure) and later learned that the electrician who had rewired the well had been suppose to come out for the last six months and finish the job, which included putting the wiring in conduit.

The pressure switch is normally located close to the pressure tank. That way, someone can easily check it against the gauge to confirm that it kicking in and out properly.

Wiring to well equipment and in pump houses always seems to be a mess, not sure why. I can't think of any reason all of it shouldn't be in conduit. Sub panels are almost always mis-wired. Outlets nearby are rarely GFCI protected.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Is it NM or UF?

I don't see this as an area subject to damage. The cable could have followed the surface better and been secured.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Is it NM or UF?
    I can't tell for sure either.

UF would be okay to be used there, NM would not be okay to be used there.

Regardless, which ever it is, it is not properly secured and supported.

There may also be other issues, such as the clamps used ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't see the clamps as that great of an issue. Yes, they are not for wet areas, but they are on the bottom and protected from water penetrating. If water were to infiltrate through the connector it has already flowed into the box.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

That was type UF cable. It doesn't sound like too many people see it in conduit other than Lon. This was far better than most of the wells I see. They actually had clamps installed, and the sub panel was properly wired.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

A) The IS UF cable. It is FINE in this instance. IMO inside a well pit is not an area subject to physical damage, unless it was around a ladder/access area where folks are climbing in/out.

B) That is NOT the pump control box. It is simply a disconnect swtich.

C) The NM connectors are FINE in this instance. They are no different from SEU connectors at the bottom of a meter pan.
    Now, on the top or sides of that box you'd have a problem.

About the only thing I see is the support/securing issue.