Default Gas meter above driveway.

Gas meter above driveway. I haven't had time yet to research this but I thought I would throw it out there for comments. At this point I am not sure if this is an issue or not (due to possibility of trapping gas below concrete). I seem to recall some gas meters on commercial buildings above paved or concrete parking lots. This may be an issue or maybe not. As mentioned I have not researched it yet but thougth I would post it for comments.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Gas meter above driveway.

My concern would be a vehicle hitting the meter. I always recommend bollards be installed.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Gas meter above driveway. At this point I am not sure if this is an issue or not (due to possibility of trapping gas below concrete). .
    Kind of like trapping gas under the bedsheets!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I would say the piping should be encased and not have any contact with the cement. Alkaline deterioration will occur otherwise. I would not be able to verify no contact below the grade.

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

Concrete shouldn't be poured directly up against the riser, technically. The gas company in my area won't make an issue of it, nor will they fix it.
    The guard post (bollard) would be required though.

Natural gas will seep right through dry asphalt, but not concrete.....

tom daley Guest

FWIW:

1. Install bollards if the meter is exposed to traffic, however, there's also an unprotected A/C unit in 6ft proximity.

2. There is no shut-off valve on the incoming gas pipe - it should come before the regulator just after the gas pipe leaves the ground.
    There is a shut-off wrongly positioned on the outlet piping.
    Perhaps that fitting just below the regulator is a shut-off? It's difficult to tell. If it is, then two isolaters is unusual but i dont think it's against Ca/UPC Code.

3. There should be a plugged 3/4" test tee on the outlet side of the meter.

4. The gas pipe underground and breaking the concrete should be wrapped. The in-situ arrangement appears to be a "stake" to hold the riser in position during the pour.

2. There is no shut-off valve on the incoming gas pipe - it should come before the regulator just after the gas pipe leaves the ground.
    The valve is there. Note that it's set up to be able to lock it out.

There is a shut-off wrongly positioned on the outlet piping.
    That's called a customer valve. We install those on all new residential meter sets so that the customer can shut off gas to the house without messing with our meter.

3. There should be a plugged 3/4" test tee on the outlet side of the meter.
    There are different standards for different areas, eras, etc.

I see this sort of thing several times a year. The local gas company never says anything about it. But there should be a slip gasket around the pipe penetrations in the concrete. The bollards is a good idea, but I've never seen those installed. Bad ideas, stupid installations, and dumbness should be pointed out, even if the local utility companies don't care.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    The bollards is a good idea, but I've never seen those installed.
    I've seen bollards installed to protect gas, water, and electrical vales/equipment/meters at apartment complexes and commercial sites, but not at dwelling units ... then again I've not see gas meters installed at driveways or parking areas at dwelling units either (surely that cannot be because our contractors are 'smarter' and know better, not with all the other stupid things they do ).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    (surely that cannot be because our contractors are 'smarter' and know better, not with all the other stupid things they do ).
    Our stupid contractors can match up with any anywhere.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Cool Re: Gas meter above driveway.

PART 192—TRANSPORTATION OF NATURAL AND OTHER GAS BY PIPELINE: MINIMUM FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS :: PART 192--TRANSPORTATION OF NATURAL AND OTHER GAS BY PIPELINE: MINIMUM FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS :: CHAPTER I--PIPELINE AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SAF

Federal CFR covers the meter to the connection downstream of the meter, which is technically the "point of distribution" or where the local gas code picks up. That would be the right hand joint coming off the meter.

You can skim down the link to 192.353 and on for meter installation regs.

Enjoy!

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

I have seen where abs piping has been installed around the pipe going thru concrete. this protects the pipe from the cement. bollards for protection strongly recomended here also.

I'd fire the cement finisher, he was shaky and broomed it too wet !

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    My concern would be a vehicle hitting the meter. I always recommend bollards be installed.
    +1. I recommend the same when I see this.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey