Default Grey water dumping

Apparently, according to my seller today, it is allowed to divert all of your grey water to the yard on a 1/8 acre lot. We're talking bath sinks, shower, tub, washer, kitchen appliances, kitchen sink, everything but toilets. This doesn't seem right to me but he said the County said OK.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    END GLOBAL WHINING

John Ritter Guest

Default Re: Grey water dumping

It is acceptable in many rural areas, kitchen sink and dish washers should be diverted through a GREASE TRAP to remove any food products. Some city and municipalties do not allow it. From past experience there are no ill effects from it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ritter View Post
    It is acceptable in many rural areas, kitchen sink and dish washers should be diverted through a GREASE TRAP to remove any food products. Some city and municipalties do not allow it. From past experience there are no ill effects from it.
    One ill effect that can occur is grease and suds polluting ground water and possibly fish streams. On a 1/8 acre lot, that greywater is going to run into the neighbor's yard or into an open ditch along the road.

Don't get me wrong. I believe a greywater system helps to keep septic tanks healthy, because without the detergents and grease, septic tanks work remarkably well and don't stink when opened.

But the reason for banning the use of greywater systems is to protect the ground water, which may be someone's drinking water.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

See attachment for gray water in Arizona. Note: Kitchen sink falls under black water on the second page.

Jeff Euriech
    Arizona Prime Property Inspection LLC

Attached Files Attached Files

John Ritter Guest

I stand corrected. It didn't seem to be an issue in the old days, Only the kitchen water was trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Apparently, according to my seller today, it is allowed to divert all of your grey water to the yard on a 1/8 acre lot. We're talking bath sinks, shower, tub, washer, kitchen appliances, kitchen sink, everything but toilets. This doesn't seem right to me but he said the County said OK.
    I would need to see a cite or proof from the county. Anytime I find grey water going out into the yard or a strange pipe disappearing out the foundation wall I always note it and make a comment that all grey water disposal should be to the septic system, unless proof from the county or local health department says otherwise. I put the monkey on their back! I will not approve the disposal of any grey water at a home.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

They've started allowing it in my town if properly installed. I think they just started allowing it this year, which kind of surprised me. If I ever build a new house, I'll definitely plan for it and either use it for irrigation or to flush the toilets. Maybe both.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA