Thread: New GFCIs

Default Re: New GFCIs

I'm about to start smashing all TR receptacles with a hammer, because they infuriate anyone trying to plug something in.

Reminds me of a SouthPark episode I saw where the government instituted the TSA: Toilet Security Administration. They forced everyone to wear a seat belt when on the john to prevent anyone from falling in.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I'm about to start smashing all TR receptacles with a hammer, because they infuriate anyone trying to plug something in.
    uhmmm, you just push the plug in!!!!!!

Garry Blankenship Guest

Sparkys wearing the bags will be pretty happy about the smaller size. That ambient light activated night light feature is pretty cool. However; they can't scratch your butt yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    uhmmm, you just push the plug in!!!!!!
    Many if not most of the TR receptacles I've tested require a bunch of wiggling and possibly cursing before the plug goes in. I forewarn the buyers and explain what's going on.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Sparkys wearing the bags...
    ???????...bags?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Many if not most of the TR receptacles I've tested require a bunch of wiggling and possibly cursing before the plug goes in. I forewarn the buyers and explain what's going on.
    Must be that cooler weather up there. Sure some are slightly stiff but they are suppose to be to keep the little ones out of them. I have not really had any trouble with them....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    . I have not really had any trouble with them....yet.

Consider yourself lucky.

Around here the builders must be sourcing them from Big Lots, because they all require way too much manipulation to operate.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    ???????...bags?
    Tool bags. Not an office electrician, ( estimator, project manager, etc. ), but one in the field wearing tool "bags".

The main problem I've seen with plugging into the TR receptacles is not related to the TR aspect but to the equipment ground plug-in opening - the ground prong on my testers, all of them, seem to have a problem fitting in the new (smaller? tighter?) ground opening and receptor piece within the receptacle ... and that is before the hot and neutral prongs even touch the TR openings for those prongs.

Watch carefully the next time and I'm guessing the same is happening with you guys, that it is not the TR openings, but the ground opening.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The main problem I've seen with plugging into the TR receptacles is not related to the TR aspect but to the equipment ground plug-in opening - the ground prong on my testers, all of them, seem to have a problem fitting in the new (smaller? tighter?) ground opening and receptor piece within the receptacle ... and that is before the hot and neutral prongs even touch the TR openings for those prongs.

Watch carefully the next time and I'm guessing the same is happening with you guys, that it is not the TR openings, but the ground opening.
    That has been my experience also.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck

Jerry,

That's been my experience and very frustrating. Some outlets won't even allow me to insert the tester. Is it possible that the problem is with the tester ground prongs and not the outlets??

By the way -- Is there a standard for outlet prong dimensions?

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Just last week I trying to plug in a 2 prong lamp into a TR receptacle and it required so much force that it bent the prongs and still didn't go in. There is something inherently wrong with the design if it requires so much pressure that the average person cannot plug some thing.
    Not with the design of the TR receptacles, it is possibly 'operator' error in that people are used to plugging in the plug from pretty much any angle or direction they tried - now, though, the plugs needs to be inserted from almost straight in front of the receptacle outlet to make sure that *both* prongs make contact at the same time.

If one prong makes contact first, then the receptacle outlet is actually doing its job by not allowing you to plug into it ... that is precisely what it is designed to do - stop one side from being plugged into without the other side also being plugged into.

With a little practice (very little) you should be able to slip the plug right into those TR receptacle outlets.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    By the way -- Is there a standard for outlet prong dimensions?
    Ken,

I am sure there are precise dimensions, with tolerances, for everything related to receptacles and testers (okay, the testers need to match, and be within, the dimensions and tolerances of the receptacles).

I'll see what I can find.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

And wow after 25+ years in the business I thought that knew how to insert a 2 prong plug.
    Never too old to learn.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

And wow after 25+ years in the business I thought that knew how to insert a 2 prong plug.
    Yeah, I know what you mean ... but ... ... those new-fangled TR receptacles ain't been around that long, so it's just re-learning how to do the simple things.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dennis Webber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Consider yourself lucky.

Around here the builders must be sourcing them from Big Lots, because they all require way too much manipulation to operate.
    What product brand are you having problems with?

Garry Blankenship Guest

If you quit tampering with them, they'll stop resisting you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Webber View Post
    What product brand are you having problems with?
    Mostly Lutron and Leviton, but I don't keep track.