JamesJW Guest

Question The end of steel I beam doesn't rest on the concrete foundation

Hi,

I purchased a new house a few month ago. The house is under construction. I recently found the end of the steel I beam in the basement doesn't rest on the concrete foundation directly as shown in the attached picture. It rests on some pieces of wood. It doesn't look reight to me. Will this cause a serious structure issue? If later the builder put more concrete between the beam and foundation conrete to fill the gap, will this structure issue be fixed completedly? Your professional opinion will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

JamesJW Guest

Default Re: The end of steel I beam doesn't rest on the concrete foundation

2nd picture looking closer from outside
    3rd picture looking closer from inside

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

The guyes that poured the foundation screwed up and left an opening for a window. Builder framed up to set the beam and it is absolutely wrong. Taking out the wood under the beam down to the concrete wall and replacing with concrete would be a possible solution. Beam has to sit on something that will not compress....

James,
    This home appears to be under construction. This could only be a temporary support. Has there been a recent design change? Have you asked the contractor what is proposed to finish this detail? On the other hand, No treated sill plates? No horizontal metal connection at that tie plate? No plate washers on the anchor bolts? If that bolt is the minimum 1/2", it should be no closer than 3 1/2" from the end of the plate. It appears there is direct wood to concrete contact on the end of one of your sill plates.

JamesJW Guest

Can I terminate the purchase agreement because of this serious construction problem?

JamesJW Guest

I have to ask the builder what is going on on Monday. My concern is if the later fix (such as pull more concrete to the hole to support the beam) will solve the issue completely? Will the house structure be ok as it should be?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesJW View Post
    Hi,

I purchased a new house a few month ago. The house is under construction. I recently found the end of the steel I beam in the basement doesn't rest on the concrete foundation directly as shown in the attached picture. It rests on some pieces of wood. It doesn't look reight to me. Will this cause a serious structure issue? If later the builder put more concrete between the beam and foundation conrete to fill the gap, will this structure issue be fixed completedly? Your professional opinion will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.
    James please keep this all on one thread.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ion-issue.html

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

James,
    Make yourself a list of questions, concerns on paper to take to the contractor. Take notes on the answers. I would hesitate to make suggestion as to the process. I'll assume you have a current set of (to build) prints of your own. If your are not satisfied or are unsure after your meeting with your contractor. Take your plans and notes to a structural engineer or qualified architect for some help. Hire an inspector who is knowledgeable with the local building practices/codes to do an inspection at draw time or at all key steps in the process.