JamesJW Guest

Question I beam installation issue

Hi,

I purchased a new house a few month ago. The house is under construction. I recently found the end of the steel I beam in the basement doesn't rest on the concrete foundation directly as shown in the attached picture. It rests on some pieces of wood. It doesn't look reight to me. Will this cause a serious structure issue? If later the builder put more concrete between the beam and foundation conrete to fill the gap, will this structure issue be fixed completedly? Your professional opinion will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: I beam installation issue

Contact a Licensed Structural Engineer to write a remedy.
    * water noted running down the wall is sign of improper drainage.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

There is also no sill gasket in the stepped portion of the foundation, thus the leakage.

Regular wood base plates set on top of concrete walls, appear to be in direct contact with concrete; should have been treated baseplates
    As Raymond mentioned, no gasket or flashing installed between sill plate and foundation wall
    Wall clearly seeping at a couple locations
    I beam insufficiently supported; tell builder to install an approved steel post that is anchored into the wall and bolted to the beam or pour additional concrete
    Review your blueprints and see what the detail shows
    Call your architect and raise hell
    Holdback any current draws until situation is resolved to your satisfaction and have the Arch sign off on it
    Demand all water damaged OSB be replaced, sill plates replaced and proper flashings installed
    To start ...

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

My guess is the installation of the beam currently on wood supports is a temporary measure until such time as Markus pointed out steel support column is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesJW View Post
    If later the builder put more concrete between the beam and foundation conrete to fill the gap, will this structure issue be fixed completedly?
    Were you planning to wait to this is fixed? Go back to the architectural plans and get the local muni inspector involved and do it now. Don't let the builder think that you're giving him some slack - from the photo it looks like there's a ways to go before the home is completed. Now's the time to demonstrate what you're going to tolerate.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

JamesJW Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Regular wood base plates set on top of concrete walls, appear to be in direct contact with concrete; should have been treated baseplates
    As Raymond mentioned, no gasket or flashing installed between sill plate and foundation wall
    I beam insufficiently supported; tell builder to install an approved steel post that is anchored into the wall and bolted to the beam or pour additional concrete
    Holdback any current draws until situation is resolved to your satisfaction and have the Arch sign off on it
    Demand all water damaged OSB be replaced, sill plates replaced and proper flashings installed
    To start ...

I think the guyes that poured the foundation screwed up and left an opening hole. Builder framed up to set the beam and it is absolutely wrong.

Canthe fix provide the same strength of support and durability as the originaldesign (resting end of the bearing steel beam on the concrete foundation walldirectly)? The attached picture shows my neighbor's house which is the same model as mine. The end of the bearing steel beam sits on the concrete foundation wall and there is no hole around it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

JamesJW Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    To start ...
    Talked to the builder yesterday. The builder said this is a temporary support. They will put a short steel column installed under the end of the beam, secured to foundation when the column is ready. The builder mentioned this is a normal process while framing in a work-out basement. The foundation wall is poured based on the grading so it might not be tall enough to provide direct contact to the I beam. Is this a normal practice?

Thanks

Garry Blankenship Guest

That is definitely not OK as is, but probably intended to be changed. The builder should not have framed a load on top of it without having properly supported the beam end first. As more load is added and secured on top of it, the more difficult the fix becomes.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Lateral stability. Now is the time to acquire an independent (paid for, contracted by, and reporting to YOU, not the builder) representative who can review these things for you NOW, before things are covered up and not able to be detemined sufficiently, or without great cost. This canNOT be done on the internet, it requires on site, and is not DIY. There are evidenced some horrendous defects and errors in the framing, compromised I-Joist system, etc. and the evidenced moisture and materials compromised in the last photo beyond CCMC. Registered Pro NOW before its too late. Banking on Mike Holmes after the fact is akin to playing the lottery. Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish".

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-11-2012 at 02:59 PM.