Default TPR Discharge Pipe

What would be your commets or requirements, if any, concerning these?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: TPR Discharge Pipe

Both pictures are too small to really see much.
    However I'll give my opinion as to what I think I see.

Picture #1
    TPR drain has a shutoff valve , not allowed
    TPR drain does not drain by gravity
    This IS ALLOWED in Georgia
    But must have a method to drain water at the lowest point

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thanks for the reply Rick. And sorry for the picture quality. Both are trapped but one does have a drain. I brought this up because I never see this discussed and everyone I have talked with, including builders and municipal inspectors, do not seem to understand the purpose of the valve. "It's there so the plumber can drain the line when changing the valve" they say. In my opinion the greater purpose is so that the homeowner can check for water in the line and remove it. I recommend to my clients that they check it at least monthly when changing their air filters.

The purpose of the TPR discharge pipe is to direct the discharge away from someone in the room. Should the TPR function, it will emit scalding water. If there is no pipe it sprays out indiscriminately in all directions and someone near it could be hurt. It cannot have any thing on it that limits it's function like a valve. A valve installed may cause it to explode. I have seen hose bibs installed where the TPR use to be. Scary stuff. If a water heater goes off and it cannot discharge , it is a pressure vessel and becomes a bomb or a rocket.

The drain valves I am talking about do not close off the dischagre pipe but rather open the pipe for drainage whenever the pipe turns up for purposes such as the heater being below grade in the basement. Local building departments allow the pipe to travel upwards if a drain is installed.