Default GEC in conduit alone or with other conductors?

Does the electrical code allow other electrical conductors serving a home to be routed through the same condiut carrying the GEC from the main panel to the Water meter entrance to a single family residence? Or must it be run in a stand alone piece of conduit on its own?

Thank you in advance for any replies/opinions.

Mike

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GEC in conduit alone or with other conductors?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McElligott View Post
    Does the electrical code allow other electrical conductors serving a home to be routed through the same condiut carrying the GEC from the main panel to the Water meter entrance to a single family residence? Or must it be run in a stand alone piece of conduit on its own?

Thank you in advance for any replies/opinions.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Trade practice is not to have branch conductors in the same conduit as the GEC. Can't say that I am aware of anything in the NEC that prohibits it.
    If it is installed in metallic raceways such as EMT this will likely lead to a bunch of bonding issues and complications.

Chicago, as an example, has a specific requirement that says "Raceways for grounding electrode conductors shall not contain other conductors" It used to be 18-27-250.64 but I don't know if it still is.

So, in Chicago I guess the answer to your question is that it is not allowed.
    Other municipalities may have similar local ammendments.

Hope this helps.

Would like to hear what others say about this.

Sincerely,

Corey