ChrisBrown1959 Guest

Question New inspector- need some advise

Hello eveyone and Happy holidays. I recently finished my certification and am located in Gunnison, Colorado. I have done a few inspections for friends to get some experience here. I am going back to Philadelphia this weekend and am planning on doing an inspection on my parents house. It is a home that was built back in the 50's. It is a home that utilizes "heating oil" and has a pool which has been shut down for the winter months. I am looking for any suggestions as to what to look for. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: New inspector- need some advise

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrown1959 View Post
    Hello eveyone and Happy holidays. I recently finished my certification and am located in Gunnison, Colorado. I have done a few inspections for friends to get some experience here. I am going back to Philadelphia this weekend and am planning on doing an inspection on my parents house. It is a home that was built back in the 50's. It is a home that utilizes "heating oil" and has a pool which has been shut down for the winter months. I am looking for any suggestions as to what to look for. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you asking what to look for on the entire home or a heating oil furnace?

What type of certificiation do they offer in Colorado?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: New inspector- need some advise

Hi Chris,
    Best wishes in your new career!

What I did 7 years ago, before starting my own company, was to work for a large inspection company. They will typically make you work with an experienced inspector until they feel comfortable that you can do an inspection to their standards. You will get a lot of work, just not a huge pay check as they take a LARGE piece of the fee. However, this knowledge gained is worth it. Typically a large company will supply most tools, some supply a truck, insurance, training, and laptop/tablet as well, and a good inspection reporting program.
    If you like working this way, you can make good money as your experience will get you a larger percentage of the fees. However, if you plan on starting your own company, you will most likely be asked to sign a not compete agreement and won't be allowed to market to clients of that big company. You can "borrow" good ideas, and not do things that big companies are known for. (Don't take offense big companies, I just didn't like doing 3 or more inspections a day, because if you rush, you will miss stuff, that's all).

Or, ask to go on parallel inspection with experienced inspectors in your area. Be prepared to pay for this privilege. In AZ you are required to do 30 of these before you get licensed.

That's my $0.02 I hope it helps.
    Good luck.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com