Thread: Hot mantle

Scot Asher Guest

Default Hot mantle

My question is regarding a house I did the other day which had a vented gas fireplace in the family room. The Oak mantle was built over the tile surround and was in contact with the tile which was too hot to touch.
    I understand the Oak isn't going to combust at the temperature which it was, but it was still very hot and has me concerned what temperature is too hot for wood contact.
    The mantle was 140deg and the tile was almost 170deg.
    I am a little concerned about the temp, and showed the buyer, but I honestly am not sure how to write it up, or if it is even a concern for that matter.
    Has anyone come across this issue in the past?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Hot mantle

That looks like a direct vent unit, which is really a gas heater. They get extremely hot.

Get the make/model info and look up the clearances, especially for mantels (they consider that flat stock a mantle if it protrudes more than 1/2 inch in some Majestic specs).

Scot Asher Guest

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dom. It was a Majestic, I'll look it up

They do get very hot above. Also, the flash point of wood goes down over time the more it is exposed to heat.
    This is something I am seeing alot of lately.
    PC180038.jpg

END GLOBAL WHINING

They also make a deflector that fits across the top, I think they come in a couple of widths. They force the hot air out further so the mantle does not get as hot. Actually I think the FP manufacturer recommends them if a mantel is installed.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    They do get very hot above. Also, the flash point of wood goes down over time the more it is exposed to heat.
    This is something I am seeing alot of lately.
    PC180038.jpg

I never understood aligning two competing focal points (fireplace and television).
    How much life do you think is sacrificed from that flat screen each time the fireplace is used?

.the manufacturers install instructions will have very specific instructions regarding the extent of mantle overhang verses verticle distance above the unit. As Scott mentioned, the use of the deflector will allow decrease in spacing and will also be spelled out.........Greg.

Last edited by Gregory Booth; 12-18-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Exclamation Re: Hot mantle

The listing allows for 117F above ambient for surfaces at stated clearances.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.