Default Chimney flashing hip roof

This flashing does not look correct to me. This is the first instance I have inspected where the chimney is partially in a valley of a hip roof. It sorta interrupts the valley flashing. Even though this is the side of a chimney it seems like a cricket might be called for. This has been in place since 1956, but there are some signs of water staining on the ceiling on this side of the chimney. The two pictures are from opposite sides of the chimney.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Chimney flashing hip roof

Congratulations, I believe you have made even the most arrogant roofer cringe . Everything I envision is dog ugly.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

1956! I would say it has stood the test of time, but they should have never put the chimney in the valley. Just wrong from the get go...

If it was me I would simply report that I found some staining in the attic and the chimney should not have been placed in the valley but not much can be done about that now. Tell your client that when the put a new roof on they might want to see if anything could be designed to help divert the water around it better.

Honestly I don't see anything being done to it...

I hope that chimney is on a good foundation, that Indiana limestone is extremely heavy...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Foundation is solid. Thanks for the input.

The 50's were a time for big wide chimneys set on crazy angles. The architect is retired or passed on by now, so all we can do is be thankful we're just the inspectors.

This townhouse complex that I know of has four valleys with a chimney in each.

I wonder if the architect ever even went out to see this?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

First pic on the left center side wall of the chimney is what is known as a "dead valley". Yes it needs remediation, the cracking, separation, and water lines indicate pools in past, and now apparently its draining into and under.

Theres more wrong with the chimney, just not the dead end, but cracked masonry top. Lots of water getting in there and likely into the interior of the chimney - concealed damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    1956! I would say it has stood the test of time, but they should have never put the chimney in the valley.
    Or rather, it is failing very slowly. (a nod to Jerry)

But you are right to call that out. I bet if you could peel back the paint layers on the ceiling below that, you would find a history of leakage back to the late 50"s. This is also another example of why they don't build them like they used to.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Well, at least some of the flashing was let-into the stone's mortar joints..but as far as it being in a valley...see it all the time around here. Really a stupid idea and evidence of very poor design. But, it has stood for 60 years..would not make a big deal just advise client of evidence of past leaks and that you can be pretty certain it will leak again in the future. I really like seeing these kind of things because I can fairly accurately predict the future...think I'll head to Vegas and play the odds.

It is a bad design, but also the IRC (as well as the old UBC) requires a cricket whenever the chimney is wider than 30".

Thom Huggett, PE, SE, CBO

More modern codes require a cricket but this home appears to be older than all my code books combined. Like back in the 60-70's or older. This is a good case in point to ask this question: On an older home (like this one without a cricket), when the roof gets replaced...should the roofer update to a cricket ( I, personally think so) and how often do you see it? I call it out each time I inspect an older home with a wide chimney (over 30'') and no cricket and a new roof.

This comes up a lot with counter-flashing too. Should the roofer include replacing 50 year old rusted counter-flashing in his re-roof job? I say yes, but it adds expense and most buyers just want the cheapest job so I can see why many roofers don't address it.

In a perfect world things like crickets and counter-flashing would always be explained to the homeowner but I don't think that's always the case.... of course, in a perfect world we wouldn't have jobs since nothing would ever be wrong