Default Bump-out ventilation

Today's inspection was a 1985 renovated with a 4' by 10' bump-out for the new master bath. The bump-out addition has 4' high brick foundation walls with no vents. From the crawlspace I probed a small piece of plywood that was next to the shower drain line that penetrated the old original interior foundation wall. Sand poured out from beneath the bump-out past the wood and drain line like in a Indiana Jones movie. I could see the bottom of a concrete slab under the addition after the sand stopped. From inside the master bath you could tell by the feel that the floor is framed above the slab. Don't know if this was a permitted addition or not, but much of the deck construction would suggest that not many permits were applied for!
    Should I (1) Recommend venting of the area I could not see? (2) Recommend investigating permits? (3) Recommend further investigation by licensed engineer?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: Bump-out ventilation

Vern,
    From your description, I couldn't picture the conditions. However, regarding permits, if you see a deficient condition, what does it matter if it is permitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Vern,
    From your description, I couldn't picture the conditions. However, regarding permits, if you see a deficient condition, what does it matter if it is permitted?
    Non permitted work conditions due not go away just because the property is sold. If the AHJ says all work must be removed and or redone, it falls on whom ever owns the property. There may be some legal recourse to the seller, but who wants that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Vern,
    4X10 bump-out is left of the chimney in the picture. The view of the brick foundation walls are obstructed by the lattice beneath the deck. The four foot tall space created by the brick foundation walls has been filled with something with a bed of sand and poured concrete on top.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Darrel Hood Guest

Vern,
    With that logic, which by the way makes sense, you should recommend that every buyer research for approved permits and inspections all the way back to the time the home was built.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Non permitted work conditions due not go away just because the property is sold. If the AHJ says all work must be removed and or redone, it falls on whom ever owns the property. There may be some legal recourse to the seller, but who wants that battle.
    Actually I think it does have what I guess you would call a statute of limitations. It might depend on your area. I know in the areas I work once a home is retitled to a new owner any non permitted work is a moot point. Pretty much all the AHJ's are concerned about is if the footprint/square footage of the home has changed so that it will be reflected in the tax records

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 12-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com