Kris Svendsen Guest

Default Tankless water heater condensing and freezing

We don't typically get too cold down here but this morning it was 26 F when I started this inspection and I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. This tankless water heater is condensing from the unit and dripping from inside the unit where the electrical cord comes out. I was unable to determine if the condensation is coming into contact with the electrical connections inside the unit, and I'm not familiar with what the inside of these look like. Is this amount of condensation normal and are there anything to write up about this unit as it relates to the condensation/freezing?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Tankless water heater condensing and freezing

Dallas is listed as being 22 degrees F for the Winter 97-1/2% degree design, which means that ALL plumbing lines (DWV and supply) need to be protected from freezing by insulation or heat tape or both as needed, except underground sewer lines below the designated frost depth.

I see some insulation, but apparently not enough insulation to properly protect the piping.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

First time I have seen that issue.
    Are you sure the vents in the panel are open and the panel is installed correctly for proper air flow?
    I am assuming by condensation that you mean there is no water leakage but rather water condensing from the exhaust gas.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Kris Svendsen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    First time I have seen that issue.
    Are you sure the vents in the panel are open and the panel is installed correctly for proper air flow?
    I am assuming by condensation that you mean there is no water leakage but rather water condensing from the exhaust gas.
    That's a good point. I figured it was condensation because there were contractors still there and water was being used for various reasons. Now that I think about it, a leak is more likely which may explain why the cover was already removed when I inspected it. I recommended further evaluation and repair. At least now I know that it is not normal even if temperatures are low. Thanks for the info guys.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Sheesh, that condensor (A/C or split H/P?) doesn't belong in the servicing/working space for the tankless either, since they would likely have occasion to run/fire at the same time - the too-close and in-front proximity is of further concern.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-30-2012 at 10:02 AM.