Brian Harwood Guest

Default Surge Protector Wiring In Service Panel

A surge protector has been added to the service panel and appears to be a homeowner DIY. My question is can the neutrals from the surge protector be added under a neutral wire and ground wire as pictured? I understand that the answer would be "no" if these were neutrals from one of the home's circuits instead of the surge protector. Do the same standards apply to surge protectors? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Surge Protector Wiring In Service Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    A surge protector has been added to the service panel and appears to be a homeowner DIY. My question is can the neutrals from the surge protector be added under a neutral wire and ground wire as pictured? I understand that the answer would be "no" if these were neutrals from one of the home's circuits instead of the surge protector. Do the same standards apply to surge protectors? Thanks in advance.
    A conductor is a conductor, weather to circuit wiring or to a protector.
    If 1, 2, or 3 conductors is allowed in a terminal, it is determined by the panel manufacturer, as well as if mixing of neutrals and grounds are accepted.

Question
    Is that surge protected allowed in the panel enclosure?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The rule is one neutral per hole, period. This was formerly in the label instructions and was overlooked many times. This is now clearly spelled out in the NEC as a direct requirement instead of a 110.3(B) violation.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Brian Harwood Guest

Rick and Jim, thanks for the quick replies. Rick, this panel does allow up to two grounding conductors under each screw if they are the same size. However, only one grounded conductor per screw and no mixing of grounding and grounded conductors. As for allowing the surge protector in the panel, this is common practice in my area. What determines whether it is allowed in the panel enclosure?

Give me a moment to scrape the crap off my boots.
    OK
    Thanks Jim

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

There is a threaded nipple on it for a reason.
    Even if allowed (I don't think so) it would not be a good idea.
    Surge protectors can and do catch on fire.

Both of those protectors should be mounted outside of the panel. The conductors run in free air to the one mounted outside the panel need to be enclosed in a conduit.

Rick, I was not trying to be harsh to your comments. I just wanted to make sure my point was clear.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Brian Harwood Guest

Rick and Jim, thanks again for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Both of those protectors should be mounted outside of the panel. The conductors run in free air to the one mounted outside the panel need to be enclosed in a conduit.

Rick, I was not trying to be harsh to your comments. I just wanted to make sure my point was clear.
    I did not think you were, glad you jumped in.