Default Re: Good Article on Gun Control

Interesting article. Sadly many that will read it will be unable to finish the article due to their obsessed point of view which allows no dissension nor logical discussion of this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Interesting article. Sadly many that will read it will be unable to finish the article due to their obsessed point of view which allows no dissension nor logical discussion of this topic.
    Yes, and many will not read it in its entirety because it is a complex article befitting the type of problem this country faces when it comes to violent behavior. There are no simple answers. The idea that eliminating the weapons will cure all is as absurdly inconceivable as eliminating all of the people.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Matt Bezanson Guest

Thoughtful and well-reasoned, rare in this particular debate. But what's it doing HERE?

I'll read the article when I have time. I am gun owner and hunter. My wife had to shoot an intruder in the kitchen who said, "You're not gonna shoot me little girl." She is getting her carry permit right now.

But none of that is the point. This is simply not an appropriate thread for this forum, as the one about Obama doing such a great job is not appropriate.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

@ LH and MB:

Last time I looked this was a general chit chat area. This is not an inflammatory, but rather a thoughtful and thought-provoking article. I think it is food for thought for any thinking individual living in the USA. If you disagree, fine. That is your prerogative, as it is mine to post it. If you think the article is inappropriate then take the proper steps and have Brian remove it.

Texas Inspector

Post Re: Good Article on Gun Control

Really.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

This section is General Chit-Chat for non-home inspection related topics. You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

This is related:

FAQ on Violence : Sam Harris

Texas Inspector

Nolan Kienitz Guest

AM,

Excellent reading.

Good points........it is general chit chat, so I withdraw my complaint. Carry On.

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Subject:[/FONT][FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif'] HENREY JETTY RIDDLE OF THE GUN 11 JAN 2013[/FONT]

In my 34 years of service in the US Army Special Operations, We never once hunted an animal for game with a firearm. Sam Harris has allot of great points in his article. I live in New York and our politicians want people to believe that guns are for hunting. So they want to limit the type of weapons available specifically for hunters.
    The Constitution guaranteed the right to bear arms for citizens to defend themselves. Think about the type of weapons available to criminals and our own government selling high powered weapons to drug cartels with no regard for collateral damage. Please, Don’t bring a black power rifle (hunting) to a modern firefight.
    I wonder how many gun owners apply for hunting permits. Will that be a requirement in the future to own a gun? In New York if there is a way to get a new tax and make it financially difficult to own a gun, it’ll be a law.
    The picture attached above of paratrooper during WWII marching towards the Germans in the Ardennes Forest. Another Soldier retreating asked if he knew of a safe place and his reply was to hide behind him. “This is as far as the bastards are going”. The Enemy may have changed bit the threat is still real.
    In response to the left’s point of view, I learned long ago: Never give an order that no one will comply with and you cannot enforce.
    Most states will incarcerate a person longer for possessing marijuana than carrying an illegal firearm, assault with a weapon, selling a weapon illegally, or the entire gambit of unenforced laws regarding firearms. If people only knew the laws on the books now and the leniency that liberal judges force on sentencing.
    The Constitution gave you your rights, Sam Colt made it possible for you to keep them.
    Henrey

Veterans Home Inspection Services
    HENREY JETTY
    585-362-2848 (c)
    585-662-5896 (h)
    hjetty@rochester.rr.com
    Home Inspector
    LIC# 16000044801
    http://veteranshomeinspectionservices.com/

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

The last right wing diatribe notwithstanding, the Harris article, though really long, is food for thought.
    Our biggest problem in this country is that we want to fix blame and demand a response when we fix blame.
    Some gun control freaks need to fix the blame on guns.
    Some gun freaks want to obfuscate and blame liberal judges.
    How about maybe there isn't an answer to yank out of the air?
    Maybe the chaotic theory that **** happens is the one truth.
    But no matter what is true, the average citizen has no need for a military grade, semi-automatic, big magazine fire arm. We can throw the radical control freaks that bone and then we can talk about where this world is going.
    JLMathis

Jeffery,
    Very far from a diatribe. Unless your life revolves around texting or tweeting..

Jeffrey,
    Since you think what is Henrey is saying is "right wing diatribe" then that makes your statements left wing diatribe. We don not need to throw them a bone. Next they will want the rest of the steak. What part of "shall not be infringed" do most people not understand. The goverment or anyone else has no right to tell me what I feel is proper protection for my self and my family. Baseball bats are used more than any other weapon to commit assults but no one wants to regulate the Lousville Slugger. It is not gun violence that needs to be controled (there are already enough laws on the books) it is Violent Criminals. The sad part is that there will always be people out there that want to do bad things. Restricting good law abiding citizens from the items they need is not going to stop the Criminal. How are you going to protect yourself and your family ?

I originally posted this article for one purpose, and one purpose only: to offer readers an opportunity to exercise their right to think. It was not intended to spur yet another blase round of us and them adolescent arguments.

Maybe someday the people in this country will become adults and move beyond the left/right, conservative/liberal, Republican/Democrat/Independent/Tea Party, whatever, black/white/brown/red, straight/gay/bi/, religious/atheist, right/wrong artificial barriers which we have constructed. It is only during the times when Americans have acted as one that this nation has made any real progress.

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 01-14-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Texas Inspector

Default Gun Control and Gun Safety

Hello Everyone,
    It's great to hear opinions about the gun issue. All of us have our opinions about what should not be done or what has to be done to stem the violence in our country. Now back to the basics: As a Home Inspector I have been in homes that display weapons openly. These homes are on the MLS and have frequent prospective buyers. How do we caution our fellow citizen gun owners about gun safety? I do not mean safety as not to shoot someone or themselves. I mean are their guns safe when they leave the house? How accountable are gun owners in each state if their weapons are stolen due to their own negligence? I have read numerous suggestions by Home Inspectors and Real Estate agents for Home Owners to prepare their homes for sale. I would recommend that all weapons be removed from the home prior to an open house or getting a key box on the home. I was in a home this week that the owner had his weapons displayed on the wall. Also did I mention that he winters in Florida? All the weapons had trigger locks on them. I my opinion if the weapon was stolen the trigger lock is absolutely a waste of money. They can be drilled out and taken off in a matter of seconds. I made a point as not to take any pictures of his weapons in the room. Responsible gun owners should have safes to put their weapons in. Separating the bolts, the ammunition, and the actual weapon deter theft and a child mishandling the weapon. My time in Iraq showed me that if you want to hide a weapon in your home, the only limitation is your imagination. A weapon can be readily available and still concealed from even the most skilled searcher. Last I have attached our local newspaper articles on what I would call criminal neglect and disregard for the safety of our neighborhoods by our own citizens.
    Although it was good that these citizens reported the guns stolen, but how will they be held responsible if someone commits a crime with these stolen weapons. What can we do as Home Inspectors to teach Gun Safety.
    A caveat to my last submission to the discussion: I do not hunt. I do not own any sort of firearm. Firearms are a liability to home ownership and I have children and their friends to watch over. The probability of my family using a gun in self defense and having a mishap with a weapon in my home of any sort is not worth the worry. It is not an accident that I live in a very nice neighborhood and have good neighbors. For those who need weapons for self defense where you live, I can recommend allot of competant realtors that can help you move into a safer enviroment.
    God Bless and be safe.

The whole gun issue pro and con gives new meaning to the term "Arms Race!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    I originally posted this article for one purpose, and one purpose only: to offer readers an opportunity to exercise their right to think. It was not intended to spur yet another blase round of us and them adolescent arguments.

Maybe someday the people in this country will become adults and move beyond the left/right, conservative/liberal, Republican/Democrat/Independent/Tea Party, whatever, black/white/brown/red, straight/gay/bi/, religious/atheist, right/wrong artificial barriers which we have constructed. It is only during the times when Americans have acted as one that this nation has made any real progress.
    This is the kind of naive dribbel that passes for thoughtful prose. Americans have never been one. Even during the revolution to get out from under King George's thumb, many Americans sided with the King. And the Civil War was anything but Americans acting as one. In fact, their differences cost 600,000 lives and countless injuries and ruined property. And yet somehow we moved forward and created the greatest country on the planet.

Exactly, how do we act as one? I guess you are willing to agree with me, because I have very well thought out opinions..........right?

Of course not, for instance; you may say abortion is fine and I may say it is killing babies. Exactly where are we going to find agreement on that? You may say that the death penalty is appropriate for some crimes and I may say that it is wrong and barbaric ......Do we compromise by amputating body parts? Not bloody likely! Some idiots may say that slavery is the natural order supported in the Bible and we may say that slavery is an abomination to humanity. Are you and I going to compromise with these bigots for just one slave per person? Not an ice cube's chance in hell!

If you are a thinking person, you have opinions. But if you are willing to compromise your beliefs for unity of the nation, then I am perfectly willing to let you agree with me. What? You don't want to do that? I am shocked! Shocked I say!

So here is a nice short great article on gun control.

Common Sense Junction » A Little Bit Of History To Think About » Print

Add this to the list of things to consider:

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead | Mother Jones

Texas Inspector

You're right. That is interesting.

Interesting.

Next question, will the pattern hold for other forms of lead to explain violence further back in history, say in the Roman Empire or the Viking Conquest?
    Of course lead plumbing is already associated with Roman decline.

Maybe the Frisco battery plant mothers were right...

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I guess bullet manufacturers should stop putting lead in bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I guess bullet manufacturers should stop putting lead in bullets?
    When I first saw the title of the article, I thought it was going to be a treatise on preventing "sudden onset deep penetration lead poisoning".

Matt Bezanson Guest

This is getting interesting. As pointed out in the Mother Jones article, the research on this was published years ago, and almost universally ignored. An article on this same subject appeared on Oct. 21, 2007 in the New York Times, and that was also ignored. In some ways, the Times article was more convincing, because it showed the same lead-crime correlation in other countries that banned leaded fuel at different times, and had similar delayed-action crime decreases.
    The idea of an environmental explanation for a social problem seems to be beyond our collective grasp. Put the bastards behind bars and throw away the key! That'll show'em! Arrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Maybe the Frisco battery plant mothers were right...
    Yes, they were.

Texas Inspector