DoIt Myselfer Guest

Default Rinnai Tankless Vent Question

I am installing a Rinnai RL75iN Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater and have a question about the ventilation installation. I live in Illinois and am curious how high above the ground level I need the direct vent termination to be on the outside wall? It appears that 12" may be the answer but I'm concerned about meeting code where snow may change the requirements. Any definitive answers here? Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Rinnai Tankless Vent Question

Quote Originally Posted by DoIt Myselfer View Post
    I am installing a Rinnai RL75iN Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater and have a question about the ventilation installation. I live in Illinois and am curious how high above the ground level I need the direct vent termination to be on the outside wall? It appears that 12" may be the answer but I'm concerned about meeting code where snow may change the requirements. Any definitive answers here? Thanks in advance!
    Its a height above grade not ground level, and that depends on where in illinois you are, at least 18" above the snow level accumulations, but may not be above public walkways, etc. There are a host of other considerations and restrictions, including not on wind side, distance from openings, (windows, doors, etc.) proximity to occupied surfaces, alcoves, wind eddys, distance from mechnical air intakes, and the like.

Your local home-rule authority (city, village, town) and/or your county may have additional restrictions and requirements, gas code, and the building or residential code, property maintenance code, zoning code, proximity to lot lines and/or set-backs, etc. in addition to the restrictions and requirements of the Illinois Plumbing Code (which addresses water heaters as well) which applies state-wide, except the city limits of chicago.

It depends as to WHERE in Illinois you are located (snow levels, jurisdictional authority).

Since you require a permit for this install (even if a replacement) under state law, and if you are other than the actual owner who also occupies and will continue to occupy the single family home, you require a licensed plumbing contractor to do the work as well (no more exemptions after Jan 1 2011 or 2012 when state law chnged regarding the plumbing code). Not allowed to use for other than open system potable plumbing in illinois, a tankless water heater.

Rinnai RL75iN Interior, 7.5 GPM, Natural Gas, 82% Efficiency Tankless Water Heater

Installation Requirements
    http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...nting_E714.pdf

Approvals/codes
    The installation must conform with local codes or, in the absense of local codes, the National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 and/or CSA B149.1, Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code.
    The maximum vent length, as stated in the water heater installation instructions and these instructions, should never be exceeded.

Maintain 12” of clearance above the highest anticipated snow level or grade or whichever is greater. Please refer to your local codes for the snow level in your area.

DoIt Myselfer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Rinnai RL75iN Interior, 7.5 GPM, Natural Gas, 82% Efficiency Tankless Water Heater

Installation Requirements
    http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...nting_E714.pdf

Approvals/codes
    The installation must conform with local codes or, in the absense of local codes, the National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 and/or CSA B149.1, Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code.
    The maximum vent length, as stated in the water heater installation instructions and these instructions, should never be exceeded.

Maintain 12” of clearance above the highest anticipated snow level or grade or whichever is greater. Please refer to your local codes for the snow level in your area.
    Thank you, I'm working on finding local anticipated snow levels. Smaller city and local codes often refer to other cities or national codes.