Default wanting to buy telescoping ladder

OREP Insurance

Default Re: wanting to buy telescoping ladder

Hi Marc,

I really like my Xtend & Climb. I am a relative newcomer to these types of ladders. I have a 12.5' and am considering adding a 15'. Check Sherwin Williams for pricing and sales on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    Hi Marc,

I really like my Xtend & Climb. I am a relative newcomer to these types of ladders. I have a 12.5' and am considering adding a 15'. Check Sherwin Williams for pricing and sales on them.
    Yo, thanks Hank. So can I retract this from the center?

No Marc. Here's a link to a video: http://xtendandclimb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I want one that will retract fast. Anyone using a good one?
    I have heard of a couple of people that didn't appreciate it when the ladder retracted quickly.

It was nice knowing you Marc.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Marc, the Telesteps has a quick release system. I have one that actually works well if I am always careful to fully engage each set of rungs when setting up. If not pulled up to both left and right stops on each rung, one side can sometimes be not fully engaged, dropping an inch or two when you start to climb. When that happens, I get down, lock the rung properly and then climb up. The Telesteps raises from the bottom rungs, so that the bottom rungs are fully extended and the unused rungs are at the top. To go higher then, you need to pull out more sections from the top, sometimes unreachable. You learn to judge the number of rungs you need.

I am a lightweight 167 lbs. I have used the Telesteps I presently have on about 800 attic hatches. I keep it clean and use my real ladders for outdoors. (17' Jaws and a 28' Extension ladder)

I intend to replace it soon, simply because wear is inevitable. It is lighter than the Xtend and Climb, bends more and has looser tubes than the X and C. It collapses completely when you release the bottom latches, very fast.

Did I mention the Jaws?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 01-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I . . . use my real ladders for outdoors. (17' Jaws and a 28' Extension ladder)

Did I mention the Jaws?
    This is all one needs to know about telescoping ladders . . .

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I have heard of a couple of people that didn't appreciate it when the ladder retracted quickly.

I had a Tele-Steps retract on me about 8 years ago without any help on my part!

I know they have improved but I still have the scars from that dang Pyracantha bush/tree I crushed!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Lisa Simkins Guest

I use a 16' telesteps - great for attics. Be very careful to make sure all steps locked (by green indicator). Keep it clean so dirt does not get in joints and cause failure (so I've heard). For places where you can't extend it fully, you must know how many rungs to leave together at the top (trial and error) because you can't pull it out from the top and leave rungs together at the bottom or it will collapse. Must wrap the black rubber bumpers on the top because they can mark a white wall.

I use a 32' aluminum extension ladder for most outdoors work which is a pain but a necessity for older homes with high ceilings and second story roofs. I have used the telesteps to stage up to a second story from a first story flat roof which is handy in that you don't have to haul the big one out, but pulling the ladder up to the second stage is difficult. Would be better to have 2 telescoping ladders in that case.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Step and climb. About the toughest one I have tried out.. I only have a 12 footer right now strictly for indoor use. The do sell a 15 footer. They are still kind of narrow but a single story home you will have no problem with. Always something somewhere to brace it a bit so it does not slide sideways.

My larger step and climb was stolen from me.....while I was in a home

I love my telesteps ladder,make sure you buy a good one,your life can depend on it.
    Mine is rated for 300 lbs,class one and has all the necessary approvals,like any tool,buy the best you can afford,cheap is dangerous and will not last

They all retract fast under certain conditions. My advice is use a standard ladder.
    There are 2 schools of thought on telescoping ladders as evidenced by these posts.
    Group 1: Those that have not had the ladder collapse
    Group 2: Those that have had the ladder collapse.
    Eventually, all group 1 will be in group 2.

END GLOBAL WHINING

I bought a 12ft. Telesteps a few years ago, used it a dozen times or so, the rubber ends gave way within a few uses - poorly designed - most ladders are used at an angle but the legs are cut flush, sharp metal edges cut right through the rubber caps - will do the same on someone's carpet. (2). The release tabs are plastic - broke one the first week. It's also a finger-pinching SOB. I'll sell it for $125 - you pay shipping.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    They all retract fast under certain conditions. My advice is use a standard ladder.
    There are 2 schools of thought on telescoping ladders as evidenced by these posts.
    Group 1: Those that have not had the ladder collapse
    Group 2: Those that have had the ladder collapse.
    Eventually, all group 1 will be in group 2.
    So true.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post

BTDT.

Will miss you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    I'll sell it for $125 - you pay shipping.
    If he'll pay you to take it away ... heck, you should offer to pay the shipping.

I have one, used it a few times and did not like trying to climb up two wet noodles (which is what those things feel like, at least to me), so I relegated it too the motorhome ... and don't like it even for that.

Heck, in the 8-10 or so years I've had it, I'd guess its been used less than 8-10 times. I guess that makes it in 'like new' condition.

P.S. 'like new' condition means it can retract rapidly at any given time

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have one that I thru in the shed, after it collasped on me a few years ago.
    If you want to drive to Phx you can have it for free

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I wouldn't touch a Tele-Steps. I just did an article for the ASHI Reporter on ladders. I had tried the Tele-Steps several years earlier and had several unintended "descents" due to the design. After that I parked the ladder. I solicited Tele-Steps in 2012 to participate in the article and they refused to send a test ladder. I suspect that they had not changed the design based on current specifications.

I did test the Xtend and Climb and liked it. See here
    Compact Ladder Test | The ASHI Reporter

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I've used a 12.5' Tele-Step for 6 years at every inspection. I replaced the bottom foot caps the first time this summer.. I wrap the top pads to keep from leaving marks on paint. You should not just throw up one of these ladders, jump on and start mindlessly climbing. If you feel the slightest give, don't assume it's just a weight shift or uneven footing. Get off and make sure the pins are locked.

I extend mine, make sure the bottom 2-3 rungs are set then pull or smack up on the rungs as I go up. I use it mostly to get into attics and to access the eaves of a roof. When possible, I use it to get on the roof ... for those I do get on. I also keep a 3' piece of braided 3/16" nylon rope looped on about the 8' rung. When leaning or gutters, I set the ladder up so that I can tie it to a gutter spike or bracket just to keep it from slipping sideways when climbing onto and off a roof. It's serves as a stabilizer and not intended to hold weight.

I used to carry a 24' extension ladder all the time but since I very seldom used it, I stopped unless there may be a tall chimney on the end of a house. That ladder and a 24 foot extension pole with a camera on the end lets me record chimney crowns and flue liners for cracks and deterioration.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    I wouldn't touch a Tele-Steps. I just did an article for the ASHI Reporter on ladders. I had tried the Tele-Steps several years earlier and had several unintended "descents" due to the design. After that I parked the ladder. I solicited Tele-Steps in 2012 to participate in the article and they refused to send a test ladder. I suspect that they had not changed the design based on current specifications.

I did test the Xtend and Climb and liked it. See here
    Compact Ladder Test | The ASHI Reporter

//Rick
    I agree with Rick. I like the Xtend and Climb in that each rung locks individually. Two green indicators indicate the steps are properly locked. I tested it today and it took me less than 15 seconds to break it down, strap it together and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    I agree with Rick. I like the Xtend and Climb in that each rung locks individually. Two green indicators indicate the steps are properly locked. I tested it today and it took me less than 15 seconds to break it down, strap it together and move on.
    I have 2 one is the 10.5 foot Model 760P and the 15.5 ft Model 785P Type 1.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    I assume the word would be "like" as in you like them. I like the xtend and climb. A bit stiffer and only slightly heavier. I would like the bottom feet to spread a couple inches more to each side for stability though.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I assume the word would be "like" as in you like them. I like the xtend and climb. A bit stiffer and only slightly heavier. I would like the bottom feet to spread a couple inches more to each side for stability though.
    Yes I like both Models and they are both made by Xtend & Climb.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    I had tried the Tele-Steps several years earlier and had several unintended "descents" due to the design.
    //Rick
    Wow, you're a dedicated tester. I thought I was not very smart because I didn't quit using it until 2 colapses

END GLOBAL WHINING

Don Burbach Guest

I've had two 300lb rated 12.5 foot Telesteps ladders that I have used on just about inspection for the last eight years. My first ladder is still usable, just getting a little crotchety, so I replaced it. I am about 260 lbs, and I am cautious about setting it up for use, and try not to extend it as far as it will go. I don't lube the telescoping tubes because I don't want greasy hands. I don't use it to get on roofs, only eaves, gutters, attics. The sides in the telescopic battle are akin to female birth rights and gun control. Neither is ever able to convert the other side. My second ladder is the 1600ET, the current price with shipping seems to be about $290, I paid a lot less, which how I was induced to replace my first ladder. It flexes quite a bit in use, clients worry until I solicit their promise to catch me if I fall, then they get plain scared.

ANOTHER TELESTEP INJURY DISCUSSION

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...se-injury.html

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I have a 12.5' Xtend n' Climb which I've had for almost 10 years and it gets used on pretty much every inspection, interior and exterior. Depending upon the roof situation at houses, I can go a full week without ever having to pull the 32' extension ladder off the roof of the car. I wouldn't leave for an inspection without it.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burbach View Post
    ... snipped...
    I don't lube the telescoping tubes because I don't want greasy hands.....
    Use a dry lube. Either silicone or teflon based. It's delivered with a liquid carrier that quickly dries. I contacted Tele-steps for recommendations on how to best maintain the ladder. Extend it fully, wipe down the side tubes with a cloth and cleaner like paint thinner. I use Naptha since it evaporates faster. Once dry, lightly apply the lube to the rails. I put a few drops into the pin mechanism slot too. DO NOT get any on the steps.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA