Darrel Hood Guest

Default Gray plastic water distribution pipe - help

Help, please. This is the first time I have seen this pipe in a home. It is gray plastic and has crimped joints. It is used for the water lines, both hot and cold, in this home. The home was built in 1983. It is a brick home on a slab. Is it poly butylene (sp)? Anything I should know about it before I write this report? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: Gray plastic water distribution pipe - help

I will post photos as soon as I can figure out how. I think I am having a size problem . . . with the photos.

Darrel Hood Guest

photos of the gray pipe

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

That second photo says it all.

Yes, it's poly. Installed in that manner, and in an attic, indicates a re-pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    That second photo says it all.

Yes, it's poly. Installed in that manner, and in an attic, indicates a re-pipe.
    Or wait until it leaks, then re-pipe.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Poly, an interesting failure for plumbing. I found a link that may shed light on it for you. What You Need to Know About Polybutylene Plumbing

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

Darrel Hood Guest

Thanks folks. Richard, that is a good link for the topic. Thanks to you all, the report is submitted and it almost looks like I know something.

Your welcome. I may be ugly, but at least I'm handy

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

Every piece of PB I have found in this area is marked PB2110. Distribution pipes are gray and supply pipes can be blue or gray. I have even found one marked with "Big Blue"

I hate to find blue PVC or Polyethylene main supply pipes in houses built after 1995. They could be PB that a contractor had left over. What idiot manufacturer decided to produce a blue 3/4" supply pipe other than PB in and after 1995? When I see a blue plastic supply pipe in a crawl space, I HAVE to hunt for the markings on the pipe.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Post Re: Gray plastic water distribution pipe - help

Polybutene or Quest. Known to leak if not properly installed, and sometimes even when properly installed.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I hate to find blue PVC or Polyethylene main supply pipes in houses built after 1995. They could be PB that a contractor had left over. What idiot manufacturer decided to produce a blue 3/4" supply pipe other than PB in and after 1995? When I see a blue plastic supply pipe in a crawl space, I HAVE to hunt for the markings on the pipe.
    BLUE PEX is readily available ... as is RED ... WHITE ... clear, dark earthen-ware red, all kinds of colors - while you may use the "blue" color to look for numbers and codes, you probably should look at all plastic piping for that anyway {I seem to recall that they made PB in that familiar gray color, but the PB was also available in blue (to designate cold water) and red (to designate hot water)}.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com