Default Mold Testing Survey

I recently initiated surveys on this forum and TIJ, The Inspectors Journal forum, asking whether home inspectors usually test for mold as was intimated in a recent Chicago Tribune article. This is not a debate on the merits of mold testing. It's just a poll on whether home inspectors usually test for mold or not.

Please fill out the survey. It is anonymous.

I don't belong to ASHI, NAHI or NACHI, but those of you who do, could you please post this poll on your forums. I think the results are important to our profession. These are the survey questions.

1. I usually test for mold.
    2. I sometimes test for mold.
    3. I never test for mold.
    4. I never test for mold and I do not recommend testing.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Mold Testing Survey

Here you must be a licensed mold inspector to test for mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry DiGiovanni View Post
    Same in Texas.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Mike

I feel compelled to ask you why you are asking us for our opinions via a poll? It seems only fair that you tell us since you admit to not being a member of the associations you referred too, nor have a profile?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Mike

I feel compelled to ask you why you are asking us for our opinions via a poll? It seems only fair that you tell us since you admit to not being a member of the associations you referred too, nor have a profile?

Thank you.
    I thought a poll would eliminate the passion associated with the subject. I am not looking for opinions. There are plenty of contentious threads for that. I wanted to get as many responses as possible so I thought the forums of the various associations would add volume to the poll. As far as I know, no one has posted this poll on any of those sites.

I just want to prove a point to one publication, the Chicago Tribune, that what they were printing just isn't true. It's just another example of mass media misleading the public regarding mold.

I asked the real estate editor for the Chicago Tribune to cite the sources for their contention that home inspectors usually test for mold. She responded by not answering my question but passing along the question to Jack McGraw who is the director of ASHI education. He didn't answer my question either and what he said didn't make much sense to me.

As it turns out Mr. McGraw only lives a few miles from me so I shot him an e-mail asking if he usually test for mold. He has not responded and I have the feeling he probably won't.

I am a home inspector and I did fill out some of the stuff in my profile just now.

Hey Mike, thanks for being upfront. I was just curious.

However I don't know whether you have read the posts of CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist on this site?

Indoor Mould (Mold) Issues on the right column as well as other pertinent links.
    Mould Testing: Is it beneficial or 'snake oil?'

As for my self I don't test for mould I think its pointless and meaningless to lay clients. Rather I believe in removing contaminated materials, clean up and stemming water issues.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    I just want to prove a point to one publication, the Chicago Tribune, that what they were printing just isn't true. It's just another example of mass media misleading the public regarding mold.

I asked the real estate editor for the Chicago Tribune to cite the sources for their contention that home inspectors usually test for mold. She responded by not answering my question but passing along the question to Jack McGraw who is the director of ASHI education. He didn't answer my question either and what he said didn't make much sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    However I don't know whether you have read the posts of CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell Forensic Industrial Hygienist on this site?

Indoor Mould (Mold) Issues on the right column as well as other pertinent links.
    Mould Testing: Is it beneficial or 'snake oil?'
    Maybe Mike should forward CaoimhĂ*n's links to the Chicago Tribune real estate editor and to Jack McGraw?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry DiGiovanni View Post
    Good morning, Mr. DiGiovanni:

To my knowledge there are no such licensing requirements or regulatory restrictions for mould inspectors in the State of Nevada. Essentially, a 12 year old can declare themselves as a mould inspector in the State of Nevada, thus, they are. It takes no training, licensing, registration or any other regulatory oversight to be a “mould inspector” or test for mould in the State of Nevada.

Could you please provide a reference for the licensing requirements to which you are referring?

Cheers!

CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc. - Home

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

When I was an active home inspector in Baton Rouge I did mold inspections maybe 1 out of 20 home inspections. I usually tried to talk the client out of it, "if you can see mold you don't need to pay me to tell you you have mold". Where the client insisted it was because of insurance. The insurance company would not pay the claim unless it was confirmed by a licensed mold inspector with a lab report, re-test after remediation, etc. So I got the license and bought the air pump, but I can't say it was a big money-maker, just something else to put on the brochure.