Thread: ASHI

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Default ASHI

I am contemplating joining ASHI. It's a bit pricey but I wonder if any here are members and their thoughts or thoughts of those who don't belong and why.
    I am, of course, assuming I can pass the tests and whatever hazing they inflict on me. The nearest ASHI member inspector to me is 50 miles away.

Jeff Mathis

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: ASHI

Practice carrying a concrete block where ever you go for three days. You can not put it down at any time. If you sit down it has to be on your lap. !st hazzzzzing test.

Hi Jeffrey. I am an ASHI Certified Inspector and member since 2004. I recently performed an inspection from someone who found me listed on the ASHI website. A few of those, and I'm satisfied to justify the cost.

Here, new home contracts often list to ASHI certification as one of the requirements. The perception of ASHI varies from state to state depending on licensing requirements and strength of competing associations. Again, here ASHI national is more recognized than the others.

There are two ASHI chapters in NC. One meets in Greensboro (2.5 hrs) and other in Charlotte (4hrs). Neither very close to you.

I joined national ASHI and the Greensboro chapter about a year ago. Got 4 jobs directly from the national ASHI locater service in 2 months. Membership paid for itself immediately just in direct business. Received several more jobs directly from ASHI locator since.

There is an ASHI internal forum similar to this. Not nearly as much traffic and a much smaller pool of people to answer questions. I wanted to move and found a job thru the msg board.

So yes, joining ASHI is worthwhile even in NC. The Greensboro chapter has 2 active members of the licensing board and 1 past board member. Great way to get one on one time with board members to see what they are really thinking. Also get a heads up unoffically about upcoming issues.

NCHILA has some great training conferences but the NC ASHI training is superior in quality. Even if you don't join the local chapters, get on their mailing list and check out their training.

The Greensboro chapter also runs a Peer Review class 1-2 times a year. 10 inspectors inspect the same house and compare findings. Lets you know if you really are better than your competition.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

ASHI is a democratically run association. You have a say in the manner in how it operates by being able to elect the board of directors.

It has bylaws and policies.

That is a very important factor at least from my view as a long time inspector.

Ted Menelly Guest

Not that it matters but I am curious. How many inspectors are members with ASHI and how many are with INTERNACHI

Ted Menelly Guest

I have taken a few counts and come up with a list in the mid 400s. You say in the mid 600s. Another page I clicked on says over 1200 in Texas in a member search by state.

Does anyone have a real nationwide count. 3000??? 2000, 6000??????

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I have taken a few counts and come up with a list in the mid 400s. You say in the mid 600s. Another page I clicked on says over 1200 in Texas in a member search by state.

Does anyone have a real nationwide count. 3000??? 2000, 6000??????
    Seems last time I got an internal msg from ASHI it was between 3500-5000. Retired, inactive, behind on dues, lifetime membership, etc. seems to muddy the waters.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Jan 2013 ASHI Reporter
    ASHI Certified Inspectors: 3476
    Associates/logo: 103
    Associates: 1679
    Retired members: 107
    Affiliates: 74
    Totals. 5439

Last edited by Rick Vernon; 01-15-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Year
    If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

I found the ASHI vs InterNachi discussion in my state almost moot. We are state licensed so the societies do not carry much weight here.

I have only been asked two times from a potential client what society I am in.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    I found the ASHI vs InterNachi discussion in my state almost moot. We are state licensed so the societies do not carry much weight here.

I have only been asked two times from a potential client what society I am in.
    My experience is that most clients will not ask about your professional affiliations as they have done their research prior to calling you. Where I'm asked is when I'm involved in litigation support or when I'm competing for a consulting gig for a bank or contractor.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I've been a member of ASHI national for..man, a lot of years, perhaps 14-15. I feel you need to belong to one of the big ones as they provide CEs. I would suspect that states that require licensing would also require continuing edu..may be wrong but at any rate, ASHI is good, I don't belong to InterN, can't comment on them. We do have a local state HI group called GAHI-Georgia Assoc of Home Insp. and one of their requirements for membership is code certification..I find that a very good requirement. Belong to some group as the camaraderieis great and the pool of experience will be unmatched.

I'm a member of NAHI. We have a very active chapter in the Denver area. But ASHI and InterNACHI have active chapters also. Many members belong to two associations and some to all three. I get asked maybe twice a year if I belong to ASHI and when I say I belong to NAHI, they are satisfied. As far as clients care........they don't.

But all associations offer valuable education and that is the real worth of being a member. I was a "free lancer" for about ten years before joining NAHI. I have to say that I've benefited from my membership and I recommend to any inspector to join one of the big three just for the education opportunities.

You can read all kinds of things about the politics of the big three, but for most of us in the trenches, that doesn't have much affect on our lives. If you think you'd like to be involved in the politics of an association, then ASHI or NAHI may be better for you, since they actually elect their leadership.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Checking out the latest tax returns from ASHI and Nachi, ASHI has more income from paid dues than Nachi. Leading me to believe ASHI has more paid members. Nachi give away free memberships like candy at a parade. I'm sure those are counted as "members".

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I may lean toward another direction as far as the low income reported from membership money. But then again, what do I know. All those give aways just show there could be a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bronner View Post
    . Belong to some group as the camaraderieis great and the pool of experience will be unmatched.
    In addition to camaraderie, and pool of experience, belonging to an org with established inspectors will get you countless referrals from the local guys.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com