Default Flashing or not?

Inspected deck today that looked good other than visible flashing at the ledger. I could not see any flashing over the top edge of the ledger but did see a white plastic or vinyl piece sandwiched between the rim joist and the ledger board. I could not tell if the plastic piece extended above the top of the rim joist behind the vinyl siding or not. Wasn't willing to snap the siding in the cold weather to look behind it. Question is: has anyone seen this as a flashing option?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Flashing or not?

Without knowing how far and where that vinyl piece extends I don't you'll ever know for sure. It's certainly not the traditional method.

The only way I can see it being okay (and as I type this it's seeming more and more doubtful) is if that piece extends all the way behind the ledger and up behind the siding at the top.

I have seen enough moisture passing through the ledger fasteners into the house to make this an easy call. If there is no flashing over the top of the ledger it's wrong.

Thanks, I was leaning toward both replies. Never know when something new comes to the market.

Darrel Hood Guest

If you are doing a visual inspection, and you are unable to see it, it must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    If you are doing a visual inspection, and you are unable to see it, it must be right.
    I hate the gray areas! Some AHJ's require back or counter flashing some don't, FEMA says install spacers between rim joist and ledger and local code says ledger must be connected directly to the joist with nothing in between. If you look at the flashing diagrams the edge of the flashing is visible from beneath, so I guess you could call it black & white. Unable to see it - must be wrong!