Scott Dunavant Guest

Default Inspector said this roof is shot, what do you think??

I have a house under contract with 28 squares. 3-12 pitch.
    The inspector said it had hail damage but I clearly did not see any.
    He also said they are at the end of their life due to cracking.
    We don't have receipts in relation to the replacement. I estimated 13 years.
    He estimated 18 years. Here are some photos. What do you guys think?

Then he said the shingles have cracks between them.
    It looks to me that the glue strip is dried and cracked.
    Over on the right you can see slight cracking on the glue strip.

Thanks for helping out.
    Scott in St. Louis

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Inspector said this roof is shot, what do you think??

There may be a stamp on the ridge vent that can help determine the year it was manufactured. This may get you to a closer date of installation, I do see some damage to the ridge shingles. A crack will only get bigger.

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

I think that, if you really believe that someone can accurately assess the age or condition of a roofing surface from three low-resolution photos on an Internet forum . . . then you are truly a fellow of infinite jest.

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 01-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Scott Dunavant Guest

Thanks, I'll look at the ridge vent plastic. I wonder if I have to pull it off?

Looks fine to me based solely on the photos.

That's certainly not a 3/12 pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    That's certainly not a 3/12 pitch.
    Dom:

Quite right. The 3/12 indicates the odds that his guy will get any useful information about the condition of his roof from this forum.

Texas Inspector

An age of manufacture is sometimes stamped on the plumbing vent stack flashing.

Scott Dunavant Guest

Neal,
    Thanks. I appreciate your positive input. I'll take a look at that.

Age does not matter. The condition does. From your photos I'd say the roof looks good and the recommendation to replace is ill advised. I'd be telling the inspector to go bite a wall.

What do the eave edges look like, especially the south eave?

@ Scott, dba OP:

If you mean by "positive comments" only those that are in alignment with your preconceived ideas, then most of us have nothing to offer you. If you mean comments that will lead you to an understanding of the true condition of your roof, then listen up.

No inspector in his right mind can accurately assess roof condition from afar. It is impossible. If it were then it could be accomplished with such technology as Eagleview. There are so many variables involved that I would be hard put to list them all. From the scanty evidence you provided one cannot determine proper underlayment installation, proper flashing installation, actual aggregate loss, proper adhesion of all shingle tabs, flexibility of the shingles, etc. ad infinitum.

You are fishing for a simplistic solution to a complex issue, ostensibly to save the small change it would cost to have a shingle manufacturer-certified roofing contractor assess the roof.

You can save even that money by simply asking your homeowners insurance provider to send an adjuster to judge the condition of the shingles. Or, you can plow forward with the HGTV mindset and eventually find someone who will say what you want to hear, regardless of the validity of the statement.

Texas Inspector

Basically, I agree with Aaron.
    Not much can be determined from what is supplied.

But I am curious
    Scott
    Were these photos taken by the inspector, or were they taken by someone else?
    If taken by the inspector, are there other pictures of the roof you did not post?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I agree with Raymond - no apparent problemos.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Scott Dunavant Guest

So I pulled a shingle and replaced it with a new one. Here's a sample next to a new shingle. The inspector called out cracking between the shingle tab cutouts. Looks like it's the glue that's cracking. Local roofing company told me that Owens Corning had a defective batch that had light solvent popping with the tar causing pitting in the shingles. I believe that's what's going on here.
    We're having some icing today so I couldn't hop on the roof and check the ridge vent production date.
    It is showing wear and because there's wear, am I the seller totally responsible for a new roof on a 53 year old house?

Scott Dunavant Guest

Here's a good quality photo. Not sure if this will upload. Roof looks great when standing up there. But shows pitting when looking at the shingles from inches away. Any there's that cracking he called out on the glue strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant View Post
    So I pulled a shingle

It is showing wear and because there's wear, am I the seller totally responsible for a new roof on a 53 year old house?
    Scott,

You are not responsible for a New Roof !
    *is that what you wanted to hear ?

Like wise the Prospective Buyer does not have to buy this property.

The lender does not have to make this loan.

The Home Inspector does not have to agree with your assessment.

Would you buy this House with the current roof on it ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If an experienced roofing inspector looked hard enough, he will find defects on a roof that's only one day old. Certainly wouldn't mean that the roof needs replacing.

If the buyer wants the place badly enough, he'll take it "as is." If he thinks the seller is on the verge of being desperate for a sale, he'll ask for a new furnace and water heater, in addition to a new roof.

From the pictures I would have to say the roof looks just fine. Really makes me wonder if the inspector is qualifed or even knows what to look for. I would suggest paying for a qualifed roofing contractor to inspect the roof. If his inspection reveals that the roof is in good condition. I would then look at hiring a more qualifed inspector to inspect the entire home.

Scott Dunavant Guest

Trent,
    Whole house has been rehabbed except the furnace and roof. So of course the inspector said both of these are at the end of their life.
    Thanks for your input. I haven't heard back from the other's since I posted the close up of the shingle.

The inspector called out cracking between the shingle tab cutouts.
    Looks like it's the glue that's cracking... light solvent popping with the tar causing pitting in the shingles.
    Fascinating descriptions that mean almost nothing.

"Cracking glue" notwithstanding, what does the roofer suggest for your house?
    The "old" shingle doesn't look like the horror show you describe, but, who can say without actually being present to examine the whole structure.

Looks good in the pics, but one thing you can't tell from picures is if there is significant loss of adhesion at the seal tabs. If the tabs lift up easily from the course below, you could loose much of the roofing in the next high wind. loss of adhesion can be repaired but is also an indication of roofing nearing the end of life.
    If the home inspector said the roof is "shot" as you said, I would ask for clarification of that term. "Shot" doesn't sound repairable to me.
    From the pics, I'm not seeing the hail damage.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Scott Dunavant Guest

Benjamin,
    The seal works great as a pry bar is needed to lift a tab up.
    His exact description was,"
    As viewed from walking the roof, there are some hail dings and damaged shingle tabs. Additionally, the roof is showing its age with some curling shingle tabs, pits and deep cracks between the shingle tab cutouts. The roof is nearing the end of its safe useable service life. Conservatively, have a reputable roofer replace this roof as required. As we discussed, at glance the roof looks serviceable, but the cracks between the cut outs are numerous and deep."

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Benjamin,
    The seal works great as a pry bar is needed to lift a tab up.

His exact description was,
    "As viewed from walking the roof, there are some hail dings and damaged shingle tabs. Additionally, the roof is showing its age with some curling shingle tabs, pits and deep cracks between the shingle tab cutouts."

"The roof is nearing the end of its safe useable service life. Conservatively, have a reputable roofer replace this roof as required. As we discussed, at (a) glance the roof looks serviceable, but the cracks between the cut outs are numerous and deep."

What from this are you disputing? That the roof is at least 13-18 years old? Where do you "get" from this that YOU are "required" to DO anything? Or for that matter WHY would YOU be doing ANYTHING to or ON the ROOF, with the home under contract and between inspection and acceptance or refusal period (and with wet roof/frosted roof/iced roof, no less!!)?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    What from this are you disputing? That the roof is at least 13-18 years old? Where do you "get" from this that YOU are "required" to DO anything? Or for that matter WHY would YOU be doing ANYTHING to or ON the ROOF, with the home under contract and between inspection and acceptance or refusal period (and with wet roof/frosted roof/iced roof, no less!!)?
    Agreed.
    Time to put on big boy underpants, Scott. Time to move on.

The roof is nearing the end of its safe useable service life. Conservatively, have a reputable roofer replace this roof as required. As we discussed, at glance the roof looks serviceable, but the cracks between the cut outs are numerous and deep."
    What?
    - Nearing end of safe useable service life?
    - Replace roof as required?
    - Conservatively?
    - At a glance?
    - Looks serviceable?

Contradictions? Two opinions?
    Cracks numerous and deep!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I've seen shingles with hail damage and I don't see anything in the pics posted that looks anything at all like hail damage. If it's there, I don't see it. Maybe other pics show it not these. I see some general aging and weathering but nothing from the pics posted that looks like the roof needs replacement.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Scott,
    From the second set of pictures you posted I do not see the holes from the nails in the top of the single that were from the layer above it. I may be that I am just not seeing it in the pictures posted. But if the nail from the layer (course) above the single you pulled does not have a nil going through both shingles then it has been nailed wrong.

Like the others I do not see the hail damage and the roof looks ok from the pics, at least from how it looks on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I do not see the holes from the nails in the top of the single that were from the layer above it.
    This looks like it may be a nail hole

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Scott Dunavant Guest

I countered this evening. On a 28 square roof Two lower bids came in at $6500 and one around $5500. I threw $120,000 in this rehab. Most finishes are designer quality. I've already let the buyer walk 3 weeks ago when he kept low balling me on the house. Homes next to this one sell for $310,000 with minor updates. Another sold at $425,000 extensive updates. This one is priced at $345,000. Contract is at $335,000

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    This looks like it may be a nail hole
    I was talking about the hole made from the nailing of the next course that is layered over that shingle and nailed through the shingle below it. Should be in the top 2inches of the shingle you are looking at depending on exposure.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I was talking about the hole made from the nailing of the next course that is layered over that shingle and nailed through the shingle below it. Should be in the top 2inches of the shingle you are looking at depending on exposure.
    I do not agree.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I do not agree.
    You don't agree that the nailing of one course of shingle does not penetrate the shingle course immediately below it ??

Nolan Kienitz Guest

I countered this evening. On a 28 square roof Two lower bids came in at $6500 and one around $5500. I threw $120,000 in this rehab. Most finishes are designer quality. I've already let the buyer walk 3 weeks ago when he kept low balling me on the house. Homes next to this one sell for $310,000 with minor updates. Another sold at $425,000 extensive updates. This one is priced at $345,000. Contract is at $335,000

Interesting to note that it is now just posted that this is a 'rehab'.

I felt this OP was going down that path and AM nailed it in his post early on.

On the other side ... it appears things may be working out for Scott.

Improper Grading and Drainage.

With Possible Foundation Problems.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Scott:
    I'm with Nick O., I don't see the damage averred by the inspector, and the roof is not shot based on either of the estimated ages. As another point of reference, was this neighborhood affected by either of the 2 hail/windstorms passing thru the St. Louis area over the past 3 years? NOAA archived storm maps would document whether the neighborhood, and this house, survived the impacts of those storms. If the area was affected, then it seems this roof was installed correctly and should have many years of serviceable life.