fulostix Guest

Default Meter Protection Question

Hello, I am going to be having a connection installed right past my meter to allow for the connection of a natural gas portable generator.

My meter is directly to the right of my garage and has been like that probably since the house had natural gas service installed...years and years ago.

Will the inspector make me install a bollard since it is located less than 3 feet from my garage opening...if so, is there anything else I could do. I have a brand new driveway with pavers installed and I would not want to rip it up.

If you have any other questions, please let me know...thanks

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Meter Protection Question

Quote Originally Posted by fulostix View Post
    Hello, I am going to be having a connection installed right past my meter to allow for the connection of a natural gas portable generator.

My meter is directly to the right of my garage and has been like that probably since the house had natural gas service installed...years and years ago.

Will the inspector make me install a bollard since it is located less than 3 feet from my garage opening...if so, is there anything else I could do. I have a brand new driveway with pavers installed and I would not want to rip it up.

If you have any other questions, please let me know...thanks
    Are you asking if the City Inspector or authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) will require you to install protection near the natural gas meter because you are having some work done?
    Best bet is to call the permit office, inspector, or AHJ and inquire. Your plumber may know local requirements so he would also be a source to ask. If a permit is required you can find out exactly what the local requirement is when you apply at the permit office.
    Not trying to give you the run around but unless there is an inspector here who is located in your area and knows local codes there isn't much help that we can give on a matter such as this one. As far as other options for the meter protection that will also be a local decision.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

fulostix Guest

Thank you...I ended up calling my local inspector and he said they will also allow an "excess flow valve" to be installed within 5ft of utility side of the meter and that would suffice. I'm not really sure what that is or if this is something the gas company would do? If anyone has experience with this..please let me know.

I appreciate any suggestions...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fulostix View Post
    Thank you...I ended up calling my local inspector and he said they will also allow an "excess flow valve" to be installed within 5ft of utility side of the meter and that would suffice. I'm not really sure what that is or if this is something the gas company would do? If anyone has experience with this..please let me know.

I appreciate any suggestions...thank you
    The gas company would be responsible for installing the "excess flow valve". It would be installed in the service line below ground usually at the property line. It's purpose is to shut the gas flow off (or to a very limited flow) in the event of break in the gas line. The gas company would likely charge to do this work.

Installing a bollard would only entail digging a post hole large enough for the bollard. So shouldn't disturb much of the driveway.

You should call your local gas company and ask if they will put one in. Our local gas company puts them in on old meter sets whenever it's discovered that the meter is subject to damage.