Default Roof deck question for Florida Inspectors

I saw something yesterday I have never seen before. For the non-Florida guys our latest code changed in 2002. It included roof deck attachment, and truss tie down requirements. It was learned during Hurricane Andrew that staples for the roof deck do not perform well in high wind. I do see lots of 80s-90s houses that have staples. Also, when a house that the roof deck is not attached per the 2002 code have to be re-nailed,(but they usually are not.) The current code states 8D nails spaced 6" on the edges and in the field.

Yesterday I did a high end home built in 2007, with a 2006 permit application date. This house had the roof deck attached with staples. Now I have seen lots of little things regarding straps with not enough nails etc, but have never seen such a huge miss. I realize the county inspectors were doing drive by inspections at this time. The funny thing is this builder has a (supposed) great reputation. The only thing I can figure it was an out of state roofer down here doing hurricane repair etc and got this job.

In this case, it will result in higher insurance premiums until the tile roof needs replaced, and the deck can be re-nailed with whatever the current code might be at that time. For this size of house those insurance costs would end up being significant.

Anybody else ever see such a big miss?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Default Re: Roof deck question for Florida Inspectors

I thought all the local roofers sold their pneumatic sheathing staplers years ago. You didn't see any 6D or 8D nails anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I thought all the local roofers sold their pneumatic sheathing staplers years ago. You didn't see any 6D or 8D nails anywhere?
    That's why I think it was an out of town guy. Checked all I could get to from both accesses. All staples.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Good catch, Paul.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The homeowner should go after contractors for code violation. Their responsibility does not expire with 1 year warranty period.