Default water filter sewer connection

Can someone point me to the correct method of installation of a water filter to the sewer. This is specifically related to under sink reverse osmosis taps.
    I continually see a piercing saddle valve installed on the sink drain with no hint of any indirect connection fitting. In fact I saw the installation directions today with the fitting supplied pictured in the instructions.
    I would love to see a "correct" method of installation or some exception that makes this allowable.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: water filter sewer connection

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Can someone point me to the correct method of installation of a water filter to the sewer. This is specifically related to under sink reverse osmosis taps.
    I continually see a piercing saddle valve installed on the sink drain with no hint of any indirect connection fitting. In fact I saw the installation directions today with the fitting supplied pictured in the instructions.
    I would love to see a "correct" method of installation or some exception that makes this allowable.
    Hi Jim,

I see those all the time. The only thing that I can think of is the manufacturer's installation instructions would take precedence over code, assuming the filter and fittings are tested and listed. Even if they are fine, I still have problems with them and put them in the report.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Jim,
    have you/they seen these
    Check out our products

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

The red discharge line should be installed on the vertical portion of the waste line (upstream of trap). Thats how the instructions on my unit require it to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    Jim,
    have you/they seen these
    Check out our products
    Thanks Barry, those reverse osmosis gaps should do the trick and will do away with the need to use the saddle tap on the drain line.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

There is a built in air gap at the counter dispensing spigot in most units for the waste line which then runs to the drain line.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    The red discharge line should be installed on the vertical portion of the waste line (upstream of trap). Thats how the instructions on my unit require it to be installed.
    Not on this one. Diagram shows it in the horizontal line.
    Though, My take is that it is improper to use a saddle tap.
    Of course they have a "follow all local codes" clause in the instructions but then tell you how to do it improperly and even supply the parts.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

In my home this connection is made similar to the dishwasher drain; emptying into the garbage disposal.

MikeB.

Let's see, some part of a potable water line connected to a gray water drain pipe. I would want to see an air gap of some type. Manufacturer's installation instructions or not.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    the manufacturer's installation instructions would take precedence over code
    Actually, the more restrictive of the two rules.

If the installation instructions are more restrictive, that takes precedence; however, if the code is more restrictive, then the code takes precedence.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hello Jerry, could we have that in writing, please? "if the code is more restrictive, then the code takes precedence." __________________

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Hello Jerry, could we have that in writing, please? "if the code is more restrictive, then the code takes precedence." __________________
    I pretty sure you can find that in the front of the IRC

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I don't have the code with me, but ... hopefully ... everyone who uses tbe code knows where to find the section which states that the most restrictive shall apply.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com