Default Mystery Pipe from a Waterproof Sytem

Hello, I have a question about a pipe that comes up from a waterproofed french drain basement. The pipe is coming up through the floor and just vents into the basement. As you can see from the picture (maybe), there is no cover on the pipe and looking down the pipe, you can see the waterproof drain pipe go left or right. The drain pipe goes along the basement walls and into a sump pump. I have two guesses as to what it could be for and they are, 1) A vent for air or 2) a cleanout access hole.

Has anyone seen something like this.

This is my first post to this site and have used this site for reference for 2 years now. This forum is great to learn from and get answers to questions without having to post. But this one is a mystery.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Mystery Pipe from a Waterproof Sytem

It is likely a clean out port with the cap left off. Ideally the drainage line should have a filter sock on it to stop fines from collecting and clogging the line running to the sump. And hopefully the pvc line is perforated along the horizontal runs.

David,
    Was the sum pump well sealed?
    Is there a Radon pump ? If so where?

Is radon a concern in your area? It could be a port to connect a radon mitigation system.

Sump pump was not sealed. Cover on pump but removable.
    1974 house with original owners. Nothing to do with Radon.

Also looking into pipe as far as I could see in both direction, the pipe was relatively clean. No signs of dirt sitting in the bottom, a couple of larger stones (grape size) but not any dirt. So I am guessing the drain was installed with a sock to keep the fine particles out.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rutkowski View Post
    Sump pump was not sealed. Cover on pump but removable.
    1974 house with original owners. Nothing to do with Radon.

Also looking into pipe as far as I could see in both direction, the pipe was relatively clean. No signs of dirt sitting in the bottom, a couple of larger stones (grape size) but not any dirt. So I am guessing the drain was installed with a sock to keep the fine particles out.
    This is one of those times that you report "I do not know" and move on. Tell your clients that you have no idea what the pipe is for and I would also recommend to them that they should contact the company that installed the system if they are still around.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    This is o. ne of those times that you report "I do not know", and move on. Tell your clients that you have no idea what the pipe is for and I would also recommend to them that they should contact the company that installed the system if they are still around.
    Adding to that, install a removable cap. If for nothing else to keep toys out of the pipe or as in my case to keep my boys from using it as a urinal.