Thread: How to write up

dan orourke Guest

Default How to write up

Last edited by dan orourke; 12-26-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: How to write up

I always state that "The shower diverter on the tub spout is defective and should be replaced." Why, it does not divert all the water to the shower head and can be the cause of low water pressure.

Its a 10 buck fix. by a do-it-yourself-person.

The ones I like are when you see a shower diverter knob on a tub spout that has no shower head at wall.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    When the tub faucet remains on when you turn on the shower, what is a better , professional way of writing that up in your report? I sure hate saying "tub runs water when when shower is turned on"....
    Dan - You can definitely go overboard trying to sound "professional". There's nothing wrong with describing things in everyday language that anyone can understand.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I'm speaking as Jerry recommends now.

That shower diverter is f*&#ed up and should be replaced.

Just kidding,

rick

Richard Rushing Guest

"Shower diverter valve does not fully engage-- this condition allows the water to run at the tub faucet while the shower is on. This usually results in having standing in water in the tub while showering."

Or something to that effect...

rr

Last edited by Richard Rushing; 09-27-2007 at 08:28 PM.

"Water continued to flow from the tub spout after being diverted to the shower head."

"Water flowed simultaneously from the tub spout and shower head when the shower was tested."

"Water dribbled on my foot from the spout while I was showering. This ain't right!"

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

What's with all this mamby-pamby stuff?

Just come right out and say it.

Rick Hurst
    I always state that "The shower diverter on the tub spout is defective and should be replaced."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How about
    Shower Diverter valve is defective

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    How about
    Shower Diverter valve is defective
    Unless your client is a plumber or home inspector, he/she may not know what the heck a shower diverter valve is. Most of mine don't know the difference between a water heater and a furnace.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Unless your client is a plumber or home inspector, he/she may not know what the heck a shower diverter valve is. Most of mine don't know the difference between a water heater and a furnace.
    Been using shower diverter for about twelve years and so far "Shower Diverter" has been understood everyone I have worked with. I also attach a picture when possible.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

While on the subject of the tub spout I found this great illustration on inspection of a leaking tub spout.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Rick,

*if only* ... (sigh)

If only that lower drawing did not have the "leaking from weep hole at wall", because, under the condition shown, it is not "leaking from" the weep hole, the water is running down the underside of the spout and is looking for anything to break its surface tension with the spout and allow gravity to take over ... it may be 'dripping down at' the weep hole, but it is not 'leaking from' the weep hole.

Besides, one would think that if that were published anywhere, hopefully they would have caught the "ot at" at both the top and bottom drawings.

I also always wrote up corroded spouts for replacement because the bottom edge where the corrosion is could be very sharp, like a knife. I had one agent who said no person could cut their finger on that edge, it's not sharp, and proceeded to prove to me and her client that it was not sharp by rubbing here finger across it ... naturally, when she pulled here hand back and shoved it in my face to say 'See, I'm not cut' ... naturally there was blood dripping down her finger ... from where she was cut. Oh well, thank you for proving my point.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Water comes out of shower head and tub spout simultaneously (defective transfer valve). Replace transfer valve.

Report what you saw. Short and sweet.

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

"When the tub spout diverter valve is actuated, not all water is diverted to the shower. Recommend repair or replacement by a qualified person"

Then tell them it may be as simple as a little CLR to remove deposits in the area of the valve... but defer it none the less.

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gault View Post
    ... but defer it none the less.
    "defer it"

Why on earth would you "defer" it?

You call it out for replacement.

That's like turning a light switch on and the light flashes bright and goes out - we've all seen that happen when a lamp burn out when turned on - then "deferring" that to an electrician.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    "defer it"

Why on earth would you "defer" it?

You call it out for replacement.

That's like turning a light switch on and the light flashes bright and goes out - we've all seen that happen when a lamp burn out when turned on - then "deferring" that to an electrician.
    There are certain items that you defer, or as I prefer, refer, to experts. This isn't one of them.

If you are talking about the screw on type of tub spout diverter, they are $14.00 at the Depot and about five minutes to install. Most of the stem type diverters are easily fixed.

The older units, however, may require extensive labor to repair. I know that when I replaced the one for my friend in his house in the Keys, built in the 50s, it would have been about a $500.00 job. The access wall was old tongue and groove, and the fixture alone was $135.00. Then there were handles, piping etc.

If you are talking about the screw on type of tub spout diverter, they are $14.00 at the Depot and about five minutes to install. Most of the stem type diverters are easily fixed...

until the 50 year old galvanized pipe to the tub spout breaks off at the threads, and you have to open up a square foot of old, unmatchable ceramic tile wall to replace it...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    If you are talking about the screw on type of tub spout diverter, they are $14.00 at the Depot and about five minutes to install. Most of the stem type diverters are easily fixed...

until the 50 year old galvanized pipe to the tub spout breaks off at the threads, and you have to open up a square foot of old, unmatchable ceramic tile wall to replace it...
    See the paragraph directly below the one you quoted.

My wording is: Shower diverter does not fully engage.

Generally I will show the client the condition, then there's no confusion as to what I talking about or its significance.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Brandon Chew Guest

I write: "When I turned on the shower, water continued to flow out of the tub spout. Have the diverter repaired by a qualified handyperson or plumber."

Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be?

FYI - In the general section of my report I define "qualified" as "a person with the skills and ability to perform the work in a proper and legal manner."

Matthew Skowron Guest

Shower Diverter Appears to be incorrectly operating. Have a Licensed Profesional Plumber dignose and repair the problem. Reinspection required

If you put on the report an explaination of whats wrong dose that not indicate you are Qualifyed to repair it? Short and sweet accept no responciblity

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Skowron View Post
    Shower Diverter Appears to be incorrectly operating. Have a Licensed Profesional Plumber dignose and repair the problem. Reinspection required

If you put on the report an explaination of whats wrong dose that not indicate you are Qualifyed to repair it? Short and sweet accept no responciblity

I'm with you until the 're-inspection required' part... If a licensed plumber diagnoses it, fixes it, and warranties it... what purpose do you serve coming back?

The mechanical H2O equipment on the tub faucet spigot is not operable as designed by the manufacturing company or its engineering faculty. It should be examined by a Mechanical Engineer to determine if repairs are warrantied or possible complete replacement by a Reputable Licensed Plumber who has attended such training and has obtained certifications in this type of repair.

The Home Inspector should re-inspect prior to the end of your option period at a scheduled fee of 200.00

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Skowron View Post
    Shower Diverter Appears to be incorrectly operating. Have a Licensed Profesional Plumber dignose and repair the problem.
    What's to diagnose?

Flippin' tub spout diverter ... she ain't a workin' rite. Have a friggin' plummer FIX IT.

My gawd guys, this ain't rocket science stuff here, don't be afraid to stand up and actually say what you mean - THAT IS what your client is paying you for.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dan
    Don't try to fix it, just replace it. Tub spout w/diverter, $10 from lowes.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    easier said then done...it's brush nickel system...$300.....
    Then you may want to remove the tub spout and see if you can disassemble it and repair it, otherwise you are looking at spending $290 for the "brush nickel" finish.

Fortunately, ours was chrome, so that saved me major $$$ for just a tub spout.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sometimes, every once in a while, cheeper is better.