Default Unknown Receptacle Type

Is this some special type of exterior receptacle?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Merrick Inspections LLC

Default Re: Unknown Receptacle Type

Thanks, Dom.

Merrick Inspections LLC

Almost looks like the one I use for our holiday lights, cord and plug connected on a stake with GFCI protection, but I don't see the GFCI reset on that one.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks, Jerry.

Merrick Inspections LLC

I agree with above.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Merrick View Post
    Is this some special type of exterior receptacle?
    It certainly looks like something you would use for Christmas or other landscape lighting. It looks like it might have a photocell switch on the front/top. If it isn't connected to a low voltage power supply, it should be on a GFCI circuit.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Yep for Christmas lights. The problem is there is an extension cord running some place. Temporary use only, 90 days max.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ernst View Post
    Yep for Christmas lights. The problem is there is an extension cord running some place. Temporary use only, 90 days max.
    Hopefully ... holiday lights are not left up for even close to 90 day ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Cannot "assume" without knowing what markings, etc. And GFCI protection may be provided (and should be provided) "upstream".

A more recent version of a hardwired stem mounted box from intermatic...

Outlet Post

The WP2000 Flexi-Guard Outlet post provides a new code compliant solution for supplying power to gardens and other areas. A remotely mounted energy saving photo control, timer, or photo control and timer are also available to activate area lighting.

• Patented single-gang inserts for GFCI, duplex, toggle or round receptacles
    • Provisions for installing mechanical or digital timers to control area lighting:
    – PB913N84: 24 hour, 120 Volt mechanical timer – allows for 2 ON/OFF daily cycles
    – PB313EK: 24 hour, 120 Volt electronic timer – allows for 8 ON/OFF daily cycles (Timers sold separately)
    • Provisions for fixed-position, stem-mounting and stem & swivel mounting photo controls for area lighting
    • All ports accept 1⁄2, 3⁄4, or 1 in. PVC conduit (adapters included)
    • Base includes mounting holes and template for optional concrete/pavement mounting
    • Cover includes lockable hasp that accepts up to .375 in. (9.525 mm) diameter shank

Just sayin' (as "they" say..)

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    And GFCI protection may be provided (and should be provided) "upstream".
    Correct - the receptacle outlet that this is plugged into should be GFCI ... IF that receptacle outlet is outdoors or in the garage or another location which requires GFCI protection ... otherwise GFCI protection is not required to be provided "upstream" - as you said "Cannot "assume" without knowing".

The version I have has GFCI protection built into it, with a test and reset switch/button ... and I plug it into a GFCI protected receptacle outlet in the garage when I use it, thus, yes, there is GFCI protection "upstream" ... but GFCI protection is not required "upstream" - GFCI protection *may be* required "upstream" depending on where that is plugged in to.

"Cannot "assume" without knowing" Something we all should be more careful of.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Correct - the receptacle outlet that this is plugged into should be GFCI ... IF that receptacle outlet is outdoors or in the garage or another location which requires GFCI protection ... otherwise GFCI protection is not required to be provided "upstream" - as you said "Cannot "assume" without knowing".

The version I have has GFCI protection built into it, with a test and reset switch/button ... and I plug it into a GFCI protected receptacle outlet in the garage when I use it, thus, yes, there is GFCI protection "upstream" ... but GFCI protection is not required "upstream" - GFCI protection *may be* required "upstream" depending on where that is plugged in to.

"Cannot "assume" without knowing" Something we all should be more careful of.
    Do you really want to "go there!?!

What is pictured may or may not be a relocatable power tap as you suggest or proclaim it must be!

IF it is, as you assert, a relocatable power tap listed for outdoor use, it MUST be supplied with GFCI protection "up stream" as it does NOT have same "on board" and IF same were to be so supplied and rated to be used outdoors it would have protection which breaks both the hot and neutral when tripped. It obviously does not have GFCI protection "on board" so that stupendous "argument" of yours is moot. Next, it is MOST OBVIOUSLY photographed located outdoors and to supply same from a receptacle indoors without GFCI protection would be a violation of both its listing instructions and therefore the NEC by doing so, & further a violation of the NEC for one does NOT run extension cords or power tap cords through door openings or window openings without violating "the code", let alone through any opening, even for temporary or holiday lighting!

Finally, I linked to a HARD WIRED outdoor listed device, listed, compliant with the NEC and allowed to be mounted via post OR stem ("pipe", riser conduit, etc.) Supplying same from a cord and plug via receptacle would be a complete violation. If installing receptacle(s) in same (as the pictured is NOT a combination GFCI device) outdoors (as pictured!), it WOULD REQUIRE GFCI protection "upstream" or line side of the device! IF one chose to install a combination GFCI duplex receptacle suitable for outdoor conditions within said device then, and only then, would protection not be required "upstream" -- again a MOOT path of discussion since the pictured is MOST obviously not containing a listed gfci receptacle for same! Frankly, I do not believe there is yet a single gang decora or similar style combination triplex GFCI receptacle listed for wet location residential use.

The Intermatic device I linked to is but ONE of SCORES of such LISTED devices in the market place FOR JUST that purpose - None of which are temporary relocatable power taps for holiday lighting & NONE of which are connected or powered via cord & plug!!!!

You are BEYOND ridiculous!

Assume as you do that what is pictured must be an improper installation is just that an assumption. It may very well be a hard wired, completely NEC compliant permanent installation with the cover retracted/opened.

The attached is just ONE of SEVERAL examples of same, which may be equipped with a switching device, a timer switch or a photocell switch!

Without examination and more information, inspection, evicence, it remains a possibility and as none but the OP had the opportunity to investigate, it is YOU who have assumed to a conclusionary declaration which is unsupported by what limited information and photo detail that has been presented.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-27-2013 at 12:20 AM.

HG,

Relax a bit a look at the OP's photo a little closer.

See the fold-down handle on the back of the product? It's a simple, plastic temporary receptacle-on-a-stick, commonly available at Wally World and everywhere else.

You are BEYOND ridiculous!
    Assume as you do that what is pictured must be an improper installation is just that an assumption.
    Without examination and more information, inspection, evicence, it remains a possibility and as none but the OP had the opportunity to investigate, it is YOU who have assumed ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    HG,

Relax a bit a look at the OP's photo a little closer.
    Dom,

Watson, as he does so much of the time, gets his exercise 'jumping to conclusions' by "assuming" the things he does. In the post above, Watson gets even more exercise by not only 'jumping to conclusions', but by adding 'jumping high hurdles' into his routine by stating that I was/am assuming the things he states.

Watson,

As stated: "You are BEYOND ridiculous!"

You presume to not only 'know everything about everything', you also presume to know 'what everyone else knows', and 'what everyone else is thinking'.

You got your entire weekly exercise quoted done in just your post above ... hopefully you are all tuckered out now and will lack the energy to be your normal obnoxious self ... maybe that will enable you to be more civil with the other here - you know, join the 'plays well with others' crowd ... (sigh)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dom,Actually, I've seen two yard boxes for hard-wiring which have the same side lever for the draw back cover, and which "articulate" upon the stem, just this past summer in two different "colored" box chain stores. Both from same source region via UL China - one molded listed componant within a listed overall kit, the other molded identification as a listed device to UL standards for hard-wiring/NEC.Not unlike some of the more pricey manufacturers (trade supply chains not big-box DIY crap) line voltage landscape lighting (higher end) vs. low-voltage landscape lighting for commercial AND higher-end residential - same plant, UL, same "parts" produced, some finished to final assembly as listed one way, some parts finished to a final assembly in another way.Bottom line is whatEVER the OP has pictured, be it a relocatable power tap (same is supplied via cord & plug) OR a hard-wired listed installation, the PICTURED IS outdoors, does NOT have self-contained GFCI protection, and by ANY reading of the NEC, and EVERY possible applicable standard for a listing - MUST be provided with GFCI protection line-side for it to be used according to its listing AND to be compliant with the NEC in its present location (out-of-doors, EXPOSED, in a WET location, which is further evidenced by the uncovered face being "glazed" with ICE collections and the presence of SNOW and ICE at the ground a few meager inches, if that, below.For whatever reason, Peck wants to hang on to the "idea" it could possibly be powered where it sits, withOUT having GFCI protection line-side.I can assure you - with nearly absolute certainty, that the pictured device is considerably less than 40 years old, and has not been in place for 40 or more years (be it a relocatable power tap, a system componant, or a device). Furthermore it would in no way be an approved/compliant use of a listed device for or recognized componant of a listed de-icing system (GFPE required not GFCI).

Dom,

As is again apparent in Watson's post above, Waston apparently only reads what he wants, or maybe he reads all of the post but only includes what he wants, or maybe Watson simply does not understand what he reads ... regardless, his post above is inaccurate and includes fabrication (by act of omission), but as you know, and we all know, Watson's posts must be taken with a grain of salt and effort must be expended to separate out the good information from the misinformation.

That is a shame too as Watson does provide some good information at times, one just needs to be willing to wade through the other crap parts of his posts to find it.

Based on another recent post from this afternoon ... Watson must not have read the 'play nice with others' memo.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Do you really want to "go there!?!
    .......You are BEYOND ridiculous!.....
    As has been said on many occasions... "Queue the circus music!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    As has been said on many occasions... "Queue the circus music!"
    Hi All, FYI I have 3 of those units and they are use as stated about for Holiday light. Had them for 5-6 years and they are safe to use outside.

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com

Good Grief! One again a simple question has some of you guys pounding your chest to show how much unrelate CENSORED you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Houck View Post
    Good Grief! One again a simple question has some of you guys pounding your chest to show how much unrelate CENSORED you know.
    Phil,
    Don't you want to learn new big words that you can mention now and then to confuse folks? I actually enjoy the banter. As the show continues, I usually can pick up a few facts here and there to add to my knowledge.