Default Recommended Reference Materials

I am a brand new Inspector. Licensed less than a week. Wanted yall's suggestions of recommended reference materials. IRC and NEC of course. I see folks talking about referencing different years of the IRC and NEC. Should I just get the most current or should I be able to reference back to the year in which a particular home was built? And as for these two, do most folks use hard copies or pdf's? Ive read that the codes should be free but a printed version basically charges for the printed materials. The current NEC is about $80.00 for a book. Havn't found a pdf for it yet. Do some buy the newest edition each year?

Also interested in any other suggested references / reading information that yall suggest. Wanting to build up my info library as quickly as possible. So whatever is suggested I'll make a list to obtain.

I have done a site search for this but results have been not exactly what Ive needed. So, any suggestions are definitely appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Recommended Reference Materials

Code Check Books.
    Carson Dunlap Home Reference Book
    IRC
    for a start

That jogs my memory, I did my training through AHIT and was supplied with some code check books but I kinda remember someone talking about a different quick code check book that was organized a little differently and somewhat more useful. That sound familiar?

Code Check offers a dedicated book for each of the four sections: Building, Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical. They also offer a Code Check Complete which has all 4 sections in a single document. There are currently only 2 versions of Code Check Complete. There are multiple versions of the individual books. I use Code Check as "Cliff Notes" to help me find details in the IRC or NEC. I find the Complete version cheaper and easier than keeping track of 4 different books.

The IRC was initially released in 2000. Updated versions were released in 03, 06, 09, and 12. Each version has change bars indicating the changes from the previous version to make it easier to see what changed from the last version. After that, it is considered part of the code and change bars only show the latest changes.

I find the latest is the only version you really need. The only people who are going to argue are builders that they don't have to do something under the current code. Depending on where you work, some states have specific limits on what and how home inspectors reference code in the report. Once you start buying the current version every three years, you will form a library. Your state will usually also have specific exceptions to the IRC that you should be aware of.

It is nice to have the older versions to find out when somethings were added. Like GFCI within 6 feet of a laundry sink was added 06. So technically not required in older homes but from a safety viewpoint as a home inspector still list it as a safety item regardless the age of the home.

International Code Council offers testing so you can become certified by them that you passed the test. Once you complete all four tests: building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical, you can apply for the Residential Combo certification.

The electrical section of the IRC is basically the NEC residential sections verbatim. The NEC has a different numbering system and includes all the rules for commercial and residential. Code Check and IRC are usually enough for most home inspectors but it is nice to be able to reference the NEC as an independent source. Some state/jurisdictions use the NEC but not the IRC. Again, once you continue to buy the current version, you start your own library.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ted Menelly Guest

Everything you are taught on how something or why something is put together the way it is to be included in a structure pretty much has to do with code.

You may reference all you wish. Just using the latest code book on an older home is certainly not the way to go. Yolu may state that todays codes may differ from past codes and here is the newest standard. You cannot outright condem a home because it does not have everything up to the current code. What to add where is called experience and it will take you quite a lengthy amount of time to figure all that out.

As far as inspecting new homes you may state new code but that city may not have adopted it yet. I was in Kennedale TX this morning (new build finished a couple months ago) and they have not yet adopted the full Arc Fault requirement. I went to north Fort Worth this afternoon and they had everything I could find up to the latest codes and it was a one year warranty.

Referencing good, not knowing when to stick to your guns for the latest codes, or not, bad.

It would certainly not hurt to get a hold of as many reference books as possible from as far back as possible. That said it is experience that will guide you in the what, when where scenario. I am constantly writing "today's standards are". Letting the client know that things have changed over time or different cities adopt codes at different times after they come out. It could be almost immediate or 2 to 3 or even 4 years later on some items. Suggested upgrades with future remodeling etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Gratton Williams View Post
    I am a brand new Inspector. Licensed less than a week. Wanted yall's suggestions of recommended reference materials. IRC and NEC of course. I see folks talking about referencing different years of the IRC and NEC. Should I just get the most current or should I be able to reference back to the year in which a particular home was built? And as for these two, do most folks use hard copies or pdf's? Ive read that the codes should be free but a printed version basically charges for the printed materials. The current NEC is about $80.00 for a book. Havn't found a pdf for it yet. Do some buy the newest edition each year?

Also interested in any other suggested references / reading information that yall suggest. Wanting to build up my info library as quickly as possible. So whatever is suggested I'll make a list to obtain.

I have done a site search for this but results have been not exactly what Ive needed. So, any suggestions are definitely appreciated. Thanks.
    trec doesn't have you listed in their inspector search for Williams or Gratton
    https://www.trec.state.tx.us/newsand...up/search.aspx

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    trec doesn't have you listed, what's up?
    https://www.trec.state.tx.us/newsand...up/search.aspx
    The end of October was my renewal date. I had all my education in far in advance and of course the insurance can only be done about 30 days in advance. A month after my renewal date they sent me a letter stating I must stop inspecting until I had all my education requirements in and my insurance up to date.

It took a polite but nasty letter and a week later I was listed as up to date.

That be the TREC for you.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    The end of October was my renewal date. I had all my education in far in advance and of course the insurance can only be done about 30 days in advance. A month after my renewal date they sent me a letter stating I must stop inspecting until I had all my education requirements in and my insurance up to date.

It took a polite but nasty letter and a week later I was listed as up to date.

That be the TREC for you.
    Ted,

Barry wasn't questioning your TREC license. It was the license or possibly lack thereof of Mr. Gratton Williams.

I did a search for his new (within last week) license # and it doesn't show up.

Often TREC will update the database on Sunday evenings ... Maybe his number will show up by Monday AM.

Or he could simply list his license number.

You guys amaze me at the detail in which all is discussed. It certainly seems befiting of the trade and does seem to suit me personally. But continuing to improve upon my knowledge in order that I may be as detailed and professional as my peers will be quite a challenge. My License number is, according to my TREC email on January 16, 2013, is #20610. After passing my exam, I received the email to send $100.00 to the Recovery Fund and provide proof of insurance. I mailed the $100.00 and then on 1/16/13 received my license number and was told I was placed on inactive status until the TREC received my proof of insurance. They received my proof of insurance on 1/22/13. I have not contacted them and I will, but I assume I still have to fill out a form to be placed on active status. Still getting my ducks in a row to go active. Namely, I have a couple of friends that are inspectors that have offered to let me ride out on inspections. Really looking forward to that.

Thank you again for the suggestions on reference materials. I have a shelf eagerly waiting for me to fill it up. Bruce, thank you for explaining the Code Check books. Yes, I think I would rather have just one book. Probably easier to familiarize with just one. And certainly easier to keep in the truck and read on down time. And I will check into the ICC testing. I am a Fire Fighter so my slow time at the station is spent reading and studying so that would be a great use of time. Ted, I can definitely see what you are saying about the experience and application. Before I posted this thread I was searching for NEC and I came upon a pdf of the City of Fort Worth's adoption of the NEC. Some parts they adopted and some they excluded. I can see the code side versus the safety side. Again, its going to be lots of reading I guess then experience as to how to apply and where it applies in an Inspection.

Wow. I have such respect for the work that all of you are doing. So many details, so much liability, and of course as a homeowner, such a great asset to home buyers. I remember my first call as a firefighter. A stucture fire caused by a dishwasher that shorted out. Luckily it didnt burn the home down. The wire from the dishwasher all the way across the house and down into the panel had the insulation burned completely off. The blown in fiberglass insulation held all that wire encapsulated and we had to pull back every inch of insulation off that wire and and wet down every charred rafter. Ive always wonder what the wire size was and if it were over breakered. I get to see all kinds of structure failures but now coming from the angle of an Inspectors is both daunting and exciting. So much learning to do.

Last edited by Gratton Williams; 01-26-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Hey, I used the TREC link provided and..... there I was. Soooo cool. If you can't tell, Im excited. But probably nervous more than anything. So, again thank you for the educational material references and the shared knowledge.

Gratton Williams
    Lic# 20610

Last edited by Gratton Williams; 01-26-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Frank Adame Guest

"How Your House Works", Wing. "25 Years of JLC" DVD, JLC. "Foundation Behavior and Repair", Brown. "Fundamentals of HVAC/R" Stanfield & Skaves. "Residential Carpentry", Reed. "JLC Guide To Energy Efficiency". "The Homeowner's Guide To Mold", Pugliese. "Electrical Wiring, Residential", Mullin. "Certainteed Shingle Applicator's Manual". "The Home Inspector's Manual-Phase Inspections", Kille. "Insulating, Sealing & Ventilating Your Home", Spence. All over the internet and this site.

Frank Adame Guest

Check out these two websites: Welcome to the Foundation Performance Association Web Site and Foundation Repair Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) | North East Texas Contractor | Bedrock Foundation Repair, LLC.

If you're in the DFW area, call up Certified Termite and Pest Control in Dallas, 972-852-2847. They will help you obtain your Termite Technician license. They give me Termite Warranty Agreements that I pass out to clients for free (first year). In case termites do pop out within the first year after I leave, Certified will treat them for free. In the past three years, I've been called back twice for termite infestations. Certified was there, no liability or cost to me.

Thank yall very much. Looks like I have alot more reading to do now. Guess some hobbies are going to have to wait a while.

This particular book is a must read and read again and again for all home inspectors.

Electrical Inspections of Existing Dwellings

not to hijack the thread, but I'll ask anyway........how often and how much is paid out of the recovery fund in Texas?
    We have had some brief discussions about that here. Does having a recovery fund lower your E&O insurance?

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Well. Im so new I probably dont have the best answer. Currently we pay $100 when you get licensed. After that at renewal I beleive the fee is based on how much has been paid out and what they need to bring the balance back up. I really dont understand why we are required to have E&O Insurance AND the recovery fund. I would think the insurance would be sufficient. If I pay premiums and for some reason the insuance pays out I am only limited to my deductible. If the Recovery Fund pays out, the way I understand it is I would have to reimburse every dollar. Ive had E&O insuance for other businesses and the insurance for inspecting certainly didnt seem lower. Maybe it will come down after I have a history of experience AND no mishaps.

Affordable inspection specific publications here Downloads

Open-and-free-to-all inspection related articles here Inspection Articles - Int'l Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI)

And our most popular 145-part roof inspection series, also open-and-free-to-all, here Mastering Roof Inspections - InterNACHI

We spent nearly 1/2 a million dollars and 4 years producing them and then made them available to the entire inspection industry for no charge.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    not to hijack the thread, but I'll ask anyway........how often and how much is paid out of the recovery fund in Texas?
    We have had some brief discussions about that here. Does having a recovery fund lower your E&O insurance?
    1. Too much.
    2. No.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    1. Too much.
    2. No.
    In some cases they attempt to "double-dip" with both the E&O and the Recovery Fund.

The recovery fund was the precursor to the mandated insurance. Both are not needed and there is legislation to abolish it afoot now. I have never been asked to pay into the recovery fund since I was first licensed in '95. The hoops to get a payment from the recovery fund were set pretty high with little reward due to low limits so the way I hear it, lawyers pretty much did not bother.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Interesting, thanks.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Hey Graton,

Must have missed this thread the first time around. Here is my input. Good online code source.

https://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Yall have really been a great help. Have ordered a few of the recommended books and started a folder with the links provided. Lots of reading to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratton Williams View Post
    You guys amaze me at the detail in which all is discussed. It certainly seems befiting of the trade and does seem to suit me personally. But continuing to improve upon my knowledge in order that I may be as detailed and professional as my peers will be quite a challenge. My License number is, according to my TREC email on January 16, 2013, is #20610. After passing my exam, I received the email to send $100.00 to the Recovery Fund and provide proof of insurance. I mailed the $100.00 and then on 1/16/13 received my license number and was told I was placed on inactive status until the TREC received my proof of insurance. They received my proof of insurance on 1/22/13. I have not contacted them and I will, but I assume I still have to fill out a form to be placed on active status. Still getting my ducks in a row to go active. Namely, I have a couple of friends that are inspectors that have offered to let me ride out on inspections. Really looking forward to that.

Thank you again for the suggestions on reference materials. I have a shelf eagerly waiting for me to fill it up. Bruce, thank you for explaining the Code Check books. Yes, I think I would rather have just one book. Probably easier to familiarize with just one. And certainly easier to keep in the truck and read on down time. And I will check into the ICC testing. I am a Fire Fighter so my slow time at the station is spent reading and studying so that would be a great use of time. Ted, I can definitely see what you are saying about the experience and application. Before I posted this thread I was searching for NEC and I came upon a pdf of the City of Fort Worth's adoption of the NEC. Some parts they adopted and some they excluded. I can see the code side versus the safety side. Again, its going to be lots of reading I guess then experience as to how to apply and where it applies in an Inspection.

Wow. I have such respect for the work that all of you are doing. So many details, so much liability, and of course as a homeowner, such a great asset to home buyers. I remember my first call as a firefighter. A stucture fire caused by a dishwasher that shorted out. Luckily it didnt burn the home down. The wire from the dishwasher all the way across the house and down into the panel had the insulation burned completely off. The blown in fiberglass insulation held all that wire encapsulated and we had to pull back every inch of insulation off that wire and and wet down every charred rafter. Ive always wonder what the wire size was and if it were over breakered. I get to see all kinds of structure failures but now coming from the angle of an Inspectors is both daunting and exciting. So much learning to do.
    Don't take anything these guys write to heart. They did the same to me.. I appears that they spend their time checking everyone's license status instead of actually doing inspections. TREC is notorious for not updating there website as they should...

Richard Flores
    Professional Inspector TREC # 8139
    www.premier-rgv.com