Darrel Hood Guest

Default Texas Inspectors vs. TREC

TREC just released the most recent "newsletter" to pat itself on the back again. What is a realistic method Texas inspectors can use to get out of this biased, oppressive, costly, situation?

TREC no longer treats inspectors like bad stepchildren. It has relegated us to the role of stepchildren of bad stepchildren. We are now a third level responsibility of TREC subordinated to the appraisers' committee. In other words, our ability to impact our own regulatory destiny has been even further weakened.

TREC certainly does nothing to help us be treated responsibly in the state legislature. If my research is correct, we are the only "profession" that is required to have E&O insurance in the state. E&O may be a good business decision, but why are we singled out?

Last year we had the pleasure of being singled out for structured "sentencing". TREC established a list of infractions and described the sentencing range for each infraction. Perhaps this is an OK concept since other professions have the same thing. My objection is that well over half the listed infractions are administrative infractions against TREC's procedures. They have nothing to do with helping either the clients or the inspectors. How does it make sense to threaten livelihoods over paperwork of questionable value?

Try getting out of the cycle created by a TREC error in the licensing renewal process. Two years ago, they apparently did not receive my CE documentation even though I had submitted it. I received no communication about the issue. A few months later, a potential client let me know they would not use my service because my license was suspended. Four months later, and four CE documentation submittals later, my license was reinstated . . . still using the original license date. Not only did I lose months of business, I became a cobweb in the memory of my marketing contacts.

Almost every month, in the "newsletter's" punishment listing, scores of realtors are listed for punishment, dozens of appraisers are listed. The normal quantity of inspectors listed is 0 - 2. But we are the "crooks" that the state's real estate brokers must police in order to protect the public.

I opened this tirade by asking what can we do? Our associations have no significant impact. Even if we vote as a single issue block, there aren't enough of us. Does anyone have any realistic ideas?

By the way, if your state is considering licensing inspectors, good luck.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Texas Inspectors vs. TREC

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    By the way, if your state is considering licensing inspectors, good luck.
    We are.....and we need some good luck........the not so surprising but still disappointing thing is that not all of us agree on what constitutes "good" for us.

I'll bet it's no different in Texas.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Darrel Hood Guest

Lon,
    I suspect you are absolutely right.

There are certainly Texas inspectors who love the current situation with TREC. They can probably support their thoughts with as many pros as I can with cons. There is no chance of a block vote and only a small chance of effective representation by the existing associations.

Much of my argument would become moot if we were licensed by an agency that is not related to the real estate brokers.

Yup, same in Ontario. There is possibility of having inspectors licensed. The stats indicate inspectors have low complaint level considering the number of houses inspected/sold annually. Yet the government has completely overlooked a bigger problem, that of unlicenced contractors who have substantially more complaints against them and the total value of monies absconded by contractors far exceeds the value of losses sustained by negligent home inspectors who have been sued in court!

I guess when you have loud mouths like Mike Holmes running around making unfounded statements, and bending ears of government solely for self promotional reasons the Government's initiative is driven by electoral and media motives rather than genuine concern for consumers!

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 01-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.

I wonder how many inspectors or association representatives showed up in force when the real estate commission decided to initially meet to discuss licensing of home inspectors? I anticipate an apathetic response when they bring it up again here. I do not want to be walked all over by others with an agenda.

@DH:

It is the price one pays for being the last line of defense between the greed-driven brokers and the unsuspecting home buyers. Try showering with Teflon every morning and then Lysol in the evenings. You should be fine . . .

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.