Thread: Hornet's Nest

Don Sweet Guest

Unhappy Hornet's Nest

Which code (and where) are wiring methods (i.e. spacing, supports, etc.) defined. Some attics look like hornet's nests; wires all over the place, draped, laying on ceiling joists. Ugly. What if the owner wants to lay boards for storage?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hornet's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sweet View Post
    Which code (and where) are wiring methods (i.e. spacing, supports, etc.) defined. Some attics look like hornet's nests; wires all over the place, draped, laying on ceiling joists. Ugly. What if the owner wants to lay boards for storage?
    I guess it would all start with your local AHJ and what they require or don't.

Usually, I find that the NEC is a good place to start when it involves electrical code questions and applications.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The NEC requires the wire to be secured (stapled) every 4.5 feet or less. It does not specify whether the wire can or cannot be on top of joists (or rafter), but does require protection of the cable dependent on what kind of attic access there is and how far from a scuttle hole. If the cable is in an attic with trusses or joists that have 2 X 4 construction they can't be drilled so the choice of wire placement is pretty simple - it has to be on the top of the joist.

In general, if the attic isn't a walk-in type or have other than scuttle hole access, it really isn't normally considered a storage area regardless of how people treat it. It is common practice to run wire the shortest distance in an attic with limited access and not worry about "possible future use" as the attic isn't living space. Unless a local rule is to the contrary there isn't much more than common sense ( to code and with as little material as possible) to guide what's done in an attic. And, with current insulation requirements most attics become unusable as storage anyway.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

In addition to Bills comments, the truss may not be designed for an internal load that storage would apply to the truss.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sweet View Post
    Don't...unless the wiring is rearranged to accomodate