Default Gas meter support

I have always written up natural gas meters that were not supported by more than the copper tubing on one side. The gas co. has not balked about installing a support post until today. I have always thought there was a code requiring the support but the gas co. supervisor has said no. It only makes sense to me to support both sides of the meter to prevent damage to the pipe or tubing. Does anyone have a code reference requiring this? Pic's of supported and not supported meters.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Gas meter support

This may help.

From the 2006 NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code:
    5.7.3 Supports. Gas meters shal be supported or connected to rigid piping so as not to exert a strain on meters. Where flexible connectors are used to connect a gas meter to downstream piping at mobile homes in mobile home parks, the meter shal be supported by a post or bracket placed in a firm footing or by other means providing equivalent support.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

Thanks Galen

Cool Re: Gas meter support

Soft copper tubing is not considered a structural support member. Add that to Galen's post and you have it.

Now, what is the total BTU load for this house because I'm seeing a 3/8 or 1/2" copper tube supplying the whole house plus their looks like a branch to the BBQ or fireplace. I seriously doubt that line is close to being sized properly, esp. for NG.

The meter's regs come under the federal cfr, which I have posted links to here a number of times. That covers the meter to its outlet or "point of delivery" which is where you gas codes pickup. The right hand bullhorn with the big nut is the last joint owned by the gas company--anything downstream of that joint is per local gas code.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Soft copper tubing is not considered a structural support member. Add that to Galen's post and you have it.

Now, what is the total BTU load for this house because I'm seeing a 3/8 or 1/2" copper tube supplying the whole house plus their looks like a branch to the BBQ or fireplace. I seriously doubt that line is close to being sized properly, esp. for NG.

The meter's regs come under the federal cfr, which I have posted links to here a number of times. That covers the meter to its outlet or "point of delivery" which is where you gas codes pickup. The right hand bullhorn with the big nut is the last joint owned by the gas company--anything downstream of that joint is per local gas code.
    I'm pretty sure it is a 2psi piping system. Did not measure but I think is was 1/2".

Cool Re: Gas meter support

A 2 psi system would have to have a yellow alert label on the regulator at the meter then Medium Pressure regulators at each appliance or at a manifold inside. Rather important distinction.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    A 2 psi system would have to have a yellow alert label on the regulator at the meter then Medium Pressure regulators at each appliance or at a manifold inside. Rather important distinction.
    The one outside is almost always missing. Reporting it is like flogging a dead horse.

Jeb Bell Guest

If its a 2# service the regulator cap will normally be red and the index on the meter will be red. The index will have the pressure stamped/printed on it that is being metered.

If its a 2# service the regulator cap will normally be red and the index on the meter will be red. The index will have the pressure stamped/printed on it that is being metered.
    Our regulator caps are red until someone paints over them, but...... the ERT (electronic read transmitter) head and index are the exact same for standard and 2# pressure. The ERTs come married to the meters-- only the regulators are different for us.

When snow falls from the roof, and lands on the meter, then the property owner will know the structural capacity of copper tubing. If the only gas appliance in this house is a furnace, then possibly this 0.5in main will run the burner at full capacity. Only a pressure gauge will confirm delivery pressure at the appliance.