Thread: Furnace install

GRed820202 Guest

Default Furnace install

Hello,
    I am planning to replace my furnace and save a bundle of money it's pretty cut and dry,meaning its not a hard change out. I am also planning to sell my house. my furnace is over 30 yrs old and is running fine, however when a buyer comes through i don't want to give them any room for negotiating, saying how bad shape it's in. My question is after I do it, usually a home inspector will come in and look at it and see it and pass it as long as its safe and running and meets code. Now what are the odds of a buyer getting a city inspector out to look at it, vs taking the word of the inspectors word or how often would a buyer request a city inspection other than it being in horrible shape. I'm thinking and correct me if I'm wrong..is if someone was too..I would have to call someone with a license and look at it and then permit it then call the city is this correct? I think I'm over analyzing it. Does anyone know a decent brand to install keep in mind I am moving out and don't want to out a high end unit in this house.
    Thanks for your time

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Furnace install

The simple and safe thing is to hire a reputable licensed HVAC contractor to install the new furnace.

If the buyer or buyer's inspector suspect it's a DIY job (and it will show, believe me) you'll regret your decision.

Save the receipt for your records and for proof (if needed).

Most jurisdictions allow the property owner to pull a permit perform work themselves and thae it inspected by the jurisdiction. Just esquires being done correctly to manufacture's installation specifications and to local code. So, if it is just a cut an dry as you say and you know what you are doing, pull a permit, have it inspected and obtain the sticker that it was code inspected. That way anyone coming later will take the inspection sticker as fact of code installed. Brands? A buyer will be interested in the efficiency. With your system being 30 yrs old, your venting system may be an issue for installation.

GRed820202 Guest

Here in NM it's required by the seller to get the inspection then if the buyer wants another one they have to pay for it.
    This jurisdiction doesn't allow home owners to pull the permit. It has to someone that is licensed. My neighbor works for a company that does HVAC but he doesn't have the correct type of license, But did offer to help me put it in. As far as venting I have had probably 7-8 different guys out to do estimates and they checked everything and didn't say anything about any issues about venting.
    My vent stack has to be extended another 2-3 ft due to my swamp cooler is within 10 ft and add hard pipe out of the unit rather than flex, along with the drip leg to it to meet code, so other than that there is a open question, not pertaining to code, but does the manufacturer require a hard wired switch from it. I talked to the city about it and they referenced that its more for the protection of the warranty from the manufacturer. Another estimator indicated that he didn't hard wire one of his installations in and it kept blowing one of its major components and he thinks its due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by GRed820202 View Post
    Here in NM it's required by the seller to get the inspection then if the buyer wants another one they have to pay for it.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to in these inspections. Required by the seller to get the furnace inspected?

I would think that your neighbor would have all of the answers that you are looking for if he works for an HVAC company. You'll need someone with a gas license to get the permit.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I'm not sure what you're referring to in these inspections. Required by the seller to get the furnace inspected?

I would think that your neighbor would have all of the answers that you are looking for if he works for an HVAC company. You'll need someone with a gas license to get the permit.
    Jim,
    I think he is saying that the seller has to get a home inspection and pay for it as part of the sale. Not a furnace inspection.

Then it sounds like the owner can not obtain the permit and do the work.
    His neighbor works HVAC but does not have the required Lic to obtain permit to do a furnace install.

So it would then follow to install a furnace in NM a Lic HVAC with appropriate enforcements are required for a permit. Therefore the owner can not install the furnace, they have to have it installed by a Lic HVAC.

Gred,
    From what you say, unless I am reading it wrong, you can not install the furnace legally.

In my area homeowners can do just about anything except plumbing and gas pipefitting. However, if the homeowner pulls an electrical permit they can not sell or rent the dwelling for 6 months. Whether or not you can legally put in the furnace, you should also note if you have an additional restriction such as the above.

Calculate the cost of a new furnace, leave the old furnace where it is. If a buyer wants a new furnace, negotiate a reduction, the amount you would have spent. Then the buyer can buy a brand new plasma TV with the furnace money.

Option 2: You need a gas fitter to install new gas lines. Don't take a chance on blowing the place up and finding out insurance is void, because it will be. Find a one man contracting company, and ask him if he will hookup under permit a furnace you've installed.

Last edited by John Kogel; 02-07-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: option 2
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

So at this point you've wasted the time of 7-8 contractors having them come out and give you bids so you could milk info out of them to do the job yourself ... I got that right, Right? It's a good thing they don't actually need to make money to put food on the table.
    Now you are here trying to milk more info out of others because you don't quite have enough info to pull it off yet.
    Can you do it yourself, sure no problem. Will it pass in a buyers inspection, eh probably not. I realize you want to save money, that's fine.
    But I take issue with anyone trying to save money when it puts other peoples lives at stake. You don't know what you are doing, you aren't qualified and a bad furnace install can jeopardize the lives of occupants.
    I have to agree with John, hire someone or give the people credit. Put the credit in the deal upfront. Tell your agent to put it in the listing. That way people know what to expect.
    - BTU size needs to be properly figured out, not just guessed based on the old unit
    - Brand depends on what is popular in your area so replacement parts are readily available. For instance around here certain brands are used in the City by others are primarily used in the suburbs.
    - You have a swamp cooler as well, how about getting rid of that thing too
    - Go 90+
    - Hire an HVAC guy, not your neighbor who sounds like a stock boy.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Good post Markus

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Most jurisdictions allow the property owner to pull a permit perform work themselves and thae it inspected by the jurisdiction.
    The owner can act as their own contractor in Florida, pull the permits, and do the work ... EXCEPT ... that if they do so, then they cannot sell or lease the house, or even OFFER to sell or lease the house, for 12 MONTHS after the work is completed. Oh, and the simple fact that you are offering the house for sale or lease within that 12 month period is evidence of INTENT and you can be charged based on that INTENT and you have no defense you can use to say 'you didn't know' - ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If you are going to do the work yourself (in Florida) then be prepared to be the one who lives with that work for the next year.

If you are going to sell, then use a properly licensed contractor.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com