Thread: pre licenceing

Joseph Syracuse Guest

Default pre licenceing

Can anybody give me some info regarding what business i can take care of while I'm waiting for my licence to arrive via nys i am currently in the process of building a website for my business, have the dba in order an just chomping at the bit to get started. Need some possible info on software. Also good metering equipment to purchase without taking out a 2nd mortgage... I greatly appreciate any info............
    Ty
    Joe Syracuse

Member Benefits1

Brian E Kelly Guest

Default Re: pre licenceing

I do not know how long you have been waiting for your NYS Lic. because mine took me 15 weeks with 2 calls to my State Assembly person. I have 2 friends who sent their info in 2 weeks after me and received their Lic. in 2 weeks. Then again they were already State employees, may be that helped. I took a part time job to pay the bills. Good luck with the State.

Joseph,

Check out the current thread Inspection Software.
    Try some of the Demos offered.

Go through the Archived Threads Sections.

Call the State morning,noon and night.

Take up knitting Winter is on it's way.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Turn your phone on and start marketing now.... maybe by the time your license arrives you'll get a job

Seriously, it's a slow time of year in a slow market.... at least in a lot of areas. You're not missing much. I second the idea of researching past posts.

When you're bored with the HI stuff look into some real estate laws.. it's good stuff that is certainly appliacable to what you do. Check out an ernest money agreement, disclosure laws, purchase agreements, etc.

It's stuff I've pulled a lot of information out of over the years but never thought to read when I first got started.

The best way to be able to help buyers and real estate agents (yes, I said help... they're not an enemy) is to understand what they are supposed to be doing in the transaction.

William Brady Guest

Remember you need to have your licensed number on all materials in NYS ie card, brochures, web sites everything. It takes a long time for the actual license to come I am sure that other inspectors from NYS will testify to. Wait don't get nurveous and calls to the Dept of State will not make it come any faster. Were a big state and there are lots of licenses to provide to people in all sorts of business. My advice is not to market until you have it. You just might get a call for an inspection and then what.

Bill B
    NYS Licensed HI

William Brady Guest

Sorry Joe I forgot about your equiptment question. Who did you do your 140 hours with. Didn't they have equiptment for sale or give you advice on where to get it?? Google home inspector training and you will find lots of schools that sell tools meters web sites etc. This is the type of stuff that you should be doing while waiting for your license. Inspection reports and soft ware take some time to get use to.

Joseph Syracuse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by William Brady View Post
    Sorry Joe I forgot about your equiptment question. Who did you do your 140 hours with. Didn't they have equiptment for sale or give you advice on where to get it?? Google home inspector training and you will find lots of schools that sell tools meters web sites etc. This is the type of stuff that you should be doing while waiting for your license. Inspection reports and soft ware take some time to get use to.
    It was a very informitive and respected school, with tons of info on equipment,advice....This is why I joined this website to get live input from inspectors all over the country..........and just another source to sort of clarify and justify what info i had from school!

William Brady Guest

That is what I thought most of the schools provide the info on all the things to get started. One thing if you are looking for equiptment try ebay I have seen lots of stuff that HI who realize it is not for them put their equiptment there for sale. You might just find things at prices less then new. All of a sudden your going to get the license and at that point order you marketing material ASAP. Just think it through when putting your brochures together do it once the right way so you don't make a mistake it is easy to do. One guy said that it's slow he's right and being new you need to get your name out and that takes time. If you don't know the local Realtors personally you have lots of leg work ahead. Like any business it takes time to get etablished. Good Luck

Jimmy Bacco Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Syracuse View Post
    Can anybody give me some info regarding what business i can take care of while I'm waiting for my licence to arrive via nys i am currently in the process of building a website for my business, have the dba in order an just chomping at the bit to get started. Need some possible info on software. Also good metering equipment to purchase without taking out a 2nd mortgage... I greatly appreciate any info............
    Ty
    Joe Syracuse
    Things to do:
    develop business plan / get insurance lined up / study, study, study / inspect your house, relatives houses, etc 2-3 times ea (to get a routine) / download and "play with" free trials for various software
    Check ebay and amazon for tools - lots of slightly used stuff and also new equip at discounts.
    Want to race to 100 inspections?!
    Jimmy

Tom Munds Guest

They pretty much summed it all up. When I went to school they told me that i would be on a 12 week fast track! tHEY SAID i WOULD BE OFF AND RUNNING!
    I would go to sba.org or find a business plan to complete. Many of my friends said that htey wish they would have. Find insurance, website completion, messing with software can be really time consuming so take your time and relax. I purchased AHIT checkbox style and I have had some problems, also too many boxes for my clients liking. I do believe though that if you are new it is probably the best to makesure you don't forget anything. There people are some of the nicest out there. I am presently trying e-Inspections software that they will customize for you.
    Aside from that I am focusing on getting other certifications to be able to offer more services to my clients. Marketing in our area is one on one. Beat the street and don't stop meeting people, carry cards everywhere. Target offices and go frequently. No one likes to hire someone they don't know. Also, your less likely to be ina lawsuit with people who know and like you.
    Good luck!

Joseph Syracuse Guest

Hey, Thanks for your comment Tom, Well appreciated...trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks again
    Joe Syracuse

Tom Munds Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Syracuse View Post
    Hey, Thanks for your comment Tom, Well appreciated...trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks again
    Joe Syracuse
    Joe,
    I believe that nothing in my life is a secret, If I can share advise or a learning experience that helps someone out, I am more than willing to help. Just let me know