Default Can you solve this

Water, ginger ale, and applesuace freezes solid in our frig. door, these items do not freeze in the frige it's self.
    Butter, milk, juices and a lot of other things do not freeze.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Can you solve this

It is all about air flow. Namely poor air flow or circulation in the entire fridge, check for missing baffles, dampers, misplaced drawers and the like. Good circulation within the fridge will create a more uniform temperature. Check the fan, door switch, etc. but I'm guessing you have at least some air flow across the coil or the complaint would be different. Check the setting of the thermostat.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Water, ginger ale, and applesuace freezes solid in our frig. door, these items do not freeze in the frige it's self.
    Could be that cold air is just hitting that spot. We have a spot in our frig that does the same, it is on the top shelf on the right side.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Could be that cold air is just hitting that spot. We have a spot in our frig that does the same, it is on the top shelf on the right side.
    I don't know. The small water bottles are on an upper shelf, the butter in a squeeze bottle and cubes of butter are on the same shelf. The gingerale and jucies are on the bottom shelf. The apple sauce is on a center shelf.

It just started doing this 2 or 3 months ago. I turned the frig temp down that didn't help.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

As others have said, air flow is the reason the door shelf is different than the rest of the box. Specific heat of water is different than that of milk or butter. When I drove an ice cream delivery truck, just out of HS, I know that chocolate ice cream was the last to freeze and the first to thaw. Door shelf would be a good place to keep the beer .

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I don't know. The small water bottles are on an upper shelf, the butter in a squeeze bottle and cubes of butter are on the same shelf. The gingerale and jucies are on the bottom shelf. The apple sauce is on a center shelf.

It just started doing this 2 or 3 months ago. I turned the frig temp down that didn't help.
    Have you cleaned/vacuum the coils? Might be like an HVAC unit with dirty coils and it is super cooling.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

We had something shoved against the back of the fridge that was blocking air flow. Food was freezing. Easy fix.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Refrigerator Cold Spots - YouTube

according to the USDA a maximum temperature of 40 °F should be maintained in the refrigerator. Properly handled food stored in a freezer at 0 °F should be safe.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Have you cleaned/vacuum the coils? Might be like an HVAC unit with dirty coils and it is super cooling.
    No, It's only 18 or so years old. Didn't think about that
    I do recall the cleaning lady calling me 3 or 4 months ago [ apx when we first noticed it,] telling me there was a lot of water on the floor.
    When I got home everything looked OK.

www.inspectaz.com

I do recall the cleaning lady calling me 3 or 4 months ago [ apx when we first noticed it,] telling me there was a lot of water on the floor.
    Water on the floor suggest a clogged drain line, could be due to ice or debris. A clogged or dirty condenser coil has the opposite effect, no or little cooling. I had a refrigerator that iced up due to the evaporator fan motor seizing intermittently. Mine was 20 or so years old. I found the fix at the following link: Best Price Finder and Comparison Shopping Online at PriceDepot.net

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Water on the floor is an indication that there is likely dust build-up under the refrigerator as there is a tray which water drains to when the freezer goes into defrost, that water drains down to the tray, where it evaporates before the defrost cycle repeats.

The drain pan may be full of dust, debris, etc., and the defrost water is overflowing the pan because of the stuff in the pan, or maybe the water is not evaporating away as it should (going into defrost too often?).

Check the pan behind the removable kick-plate at the bottom of the front of the refrigerator.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is a feature on my refrigerator. There's a small port in with an adjustable damper to control the flow of cooled air into the door.

Your light bulb is not staying on when you close the door. Only on when you open the door to check on it.

Personally, I would contact the home inspector that inspected the home. They obviously did not note this or you would not have purchased the home. They may be liabel for at minimum a new refrigerator and possibly a new house. Certainly contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Personally, I would contact the home inspector that inspected the home. They obviously did not note this or you would not have purchased the home. They may be liabel for at minimum a new refrigerator and possibly a new house. Certainly contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
    Wife and children have suffered immeasurable stress and have developed chronic health disorders from drinking frozen juice. A summer home in the Bahamas might possibly make their lives bearable, your honor.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca