Nikki Rowe Guest

Default Is it a foundation issue?

I'm looking to possibly put an offer on this foreclosure but i'd like to know if you think it's worth going for. I'm obviously going to get an inspection from someone worth a damn. But before I shell out the cash....

Attached is a picture of the wall in the front of the house in the basement. This is the ONLY place I could find that has me questioning anything. The rest of the house is fine.. floor seems level, walls aren't cracked anywhere, doors open and close just fine.

The flooring in the basement is wood (sub flooring down in most areas but right here was actual wood). So i'm guessing there is a crawl space, not sure I didn't go around back of the house but there are a good amount of steps from the back of the basement to the backyard.

There IS moisture on the floor in this corner on the floor as well. The front yard slopes down to the house.
    Gutters are clogged and look like crap.
    Upstairs in one bedroom there is evidence of a leak from the roof. No biggy.

The side of the house looks great. Brick and block and no cracks there. Where this crack is I think is underground.
    I'm a first time home buyer so I don't know crap. Im financing it so they wont even let me deal with any structural issues.

Thanks for your help in advanced! If you all think it's worth a go i'll fill out the freakin' packet and get things going!!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Is it a foundation issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Rowe View Post
    I'm looking to possibly put an offer on this foreclosure but i'd like to know if you think it's worth going for. I'm obviously going to get an inspection from someone worth a damn. But before I shell out the cash....

Attached is a picture of the wall in the front of the house in the basement. This is the ONLY place I could find that has me questioning anything. The rest of the house is fine.. floor seems level, walls aren't cracked anywhere, doors open and close just fine.

The flooring in the basement is wood (sub flooring down in most areas but right here was actual wood). So i'm guessing there is a crawl space, not sure I didn't go around back of the house but there are a good amount of steps from the back of the basement to the backyard.

There IS moisture on the floor in this corner on the floor as well. The front yard slopes down to the house.
    Gutters are clogged and look like crap.
    Upstairs in one bedroom there is evidence of a leak from the roof. No biggy.

The side of the house looks great. Brick and block and no cracks there. Where this crack is I think is underground.
    I'm a first time home buyer so I don't know crap. Im financing it so they wont even let me deal with any structural issues.

Thanks for your help in advanced! If you all think it's worth a go i'll fill out the freakin' packet and get things going!!
    Nikki,

Need more pictures , information about the dwelling. Looks like an older, Pre- 1950 property, parge coated block wall with amateur applied wood supports, Steel I beam joist.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I'll echo Billy. Actually, a roof leak could mean more trouble than the pictured crack. Get the house under contract and hire a home inspector. Any long distance opinion from us will be too general to be useful.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Nikki Rowe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Nikki,

Need more pictures , information about the dwelling. Looks like an older, Pre- 1950 property, parge coated block wall with amateur applied wood supports, Steel I beam joist.
    It was built in 1980

The basement is half assed framed or something? It needs completely redone but there is already 2,000+ square feet above it.. I wont need to touch the basement for a while. It'll be for my dogs and washing clothes.

The walls all around were fine. This crack is in the little room there in the far corner. I'm guessing it's the corner under the garage.

I just don't want to spend all this money for someone to tell me it's going to be $30k to fix. I KNOW I can't get fannie mae to fix that. If it's a $9k fix like my friend had i'm pretty sure I can negotiate that into being done before closing so my bank will agree to finance.

A free long distance evaluation from us will be worth what you pay for it. Not to mention, the role of an inspector isn't to give you estimates for the cost of repairs. And finally, it will be the rare bank indeed that allows you to do one skinny dollar's worth of work to the house prior to completing the sale. There are fix up loans available that roll the price of the repairs into the full loan. It sounds as if you should have a contractor accompany you through the house prior to making an offer.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.