Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

This roof has a drip edge and then there is this other thing that I don't know what it is or why it is there. Its about 6 feet in length. At first I thought that the drip edge slid down but the shape does not fit.

OREP Insurance

Default Re: What is this?

Is it galvanized metal? If so, it may have been put there to inhibit mold growth, zinc plated metal is also used. It is more commonly used at or near the peak though. They might have had a mold covered yard before the install. Just a guess, and it is an odd one at best.

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

Most likely the flashing has been installed because the water running off the shingles is travelling down the fascia board and behind the gutter. If you note the drip edge is slightly exposed whereas the shingle should be just out beyond the drip edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Skalski View Post
    Is it galvanized metal? If so, it may have been put there to inhibit mold growth, zinc plated metal is also used. It is more commonly used at or near the peak though. They might have had a mold covered yard before the install. Just a guess, and it is an odd one at best.
    I'm not sure of the material. I didn't think to check. It looked the same as the drip edge.

It looks a little like preformed edge venting for the eave. When the soffit isn't wide enough to cut in any vents, those can be used to create a source of ventilation along the eave.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    It looks a little like preformed edge venting for the eave. When the soffit isn't wide enough to cut in any vents, those can be used to create a source of ventilation along the eave.
    Lon, I failed to mention that there are continuous perforated soffit vents on this house rated at 9 sq. in. of net free area per lineal foot. So, this is a stumper. I think Raymond's suggestion is the best guess at this point.

It looks to me like its causing the bottom row of shingles to pitch back and hold water. For that reason I would be writing it up. I'd recommend removing it.

Examining the gutter it does slope down to the downspout. By the time you factor in the slope of the gutter it is very possible the drip edge is useless.

I have had the same problem with some gutters on my house. The fix is to take the galvanized strip out and run a bead of caulk along the back corrugated edge of the gutter where it meets the fascia. This will stop the drips from the edge of the shingles from getting in behind the gutter.

Doesn't look like the starter strip has enough drip edge to me, which is why the HO used any piece of metal he could find laying around.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Examining the gutter it does slope down to the downspout. By the time you factor in the slope of the gutter it is very possible the drip edge is useless.

I have had the same problem with some gutters on my house. The fix is to take the galvanized strip out and run a bead of caulk along the back corrugated edge of the gutter where it meets the fascia. This will stop the drips from the edge of the shingles from getting in behind the gutter.
    I had the same problem, too. I put on some "L" flashing similar to the photos, but notched the flashing to accommodate the gutter anchors, so the flashing will lay flat on the roof. And that may be the simple answer to the photos. A DIYer added the L-flashing to stop water from rolling the shingle edge and did an amateurish job.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I'm thinking they may have had a leak, back flow issue over the window area and installed that as some sort of fix.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

My first thoughts were just what Raymond said. I see water running behind the gutter on 75% of the houses I inspect. Anyone have a good diagram of proper drip edge and shingle installation? Around here you have to also install the gutter lower so ice coming off roof will not knock off gutter. I don't know what area your in Tom, your info says United States.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Somebody made a poor attempt at solving the problem - not enough overhang. In fact, there is none. A drip edge with a lip could be added, but it should go to a reputable roofer to repair it properly.

I see this when a 'roofer' lays the starter row from above and can't see the edge properly without risk of falling. Amateurs.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

...........the eaves-trough has been installed too high. It's covering the lower (drip) leg of the drip edge. The water flows over the drip and follows the edge down behind the trough.........Greg

Guys, I think you've nailed it. Thanks for educating me on this one. I will be looking for proper overhang of shingles more diligently in the future and know how to describe the ill effects.

Thanks!

I am a new member - not a roofer but in construction trade for 38 years. Mostly as a painter/finisher so I have seen my fair share of houses and have worked alongside the other trades.(except the concrete guys)
    So, I do not consider myself lacking in knowledge. Besides that, I have had to paint those galvanized gutters on many a home by extension ladder. I seen the right way and the "quick way"
    I have looked at the images 5 times.

I might do this for a short term repair on "my own home"(and I have reshingled that after 30 years) all off and a new layer on.

It "Looks like" an outside flashing> covering over exposed wood(maybe even missing wood of the roof).
    The shingles shrink and that was not taken into account as the whole roof-line edge is exposed to the elements. The shingle should overhang into the gutter 1/2". Otherwise they do not do their job (which is keep the roof wood 100% dry)
    . Plywood roofing will soak in water and separate. This is a patch at the worst part(probably where 2 sheets come together and butt up against each other(if it is done on the West Coast - plywood sheathing is used for the majority of the roofs since the 60's

As you can well see, it was not meant for the gutter otherwise there should have been a groove or slot where the nails are. And the ends of the metal under the tile is "open" or lifted up. This is an "after the roof is laid" repair and just hammered under The tar from the backside of the shingle will melt onto the metal and hold it there.

IMO // you don't have to believe an "artisan painter with over 1500 homes+ under his belt...and I could be wrong, I will admit it but it makes the most logic.

..In fact I am. That is not a wood edge. Looks more like galvanized metal strip (It was not done on a lot of houses on the West Coast. It comes on a large roll I believe or in many lengths and it is nailed as the outer lip and the gutter is shoved up to it and nailed to the fascia. It is too thin to be plywood and there is no layers.
    . Most houses there was a 1/2" overhang of shingle...and good enough.

Then there is a gap where there is no metal and only bear (the west coast kind) wood. You could pull it or just plug the ends where the shingle lifts up. Use tar. And it should be good. Goofy looking but leak proof.

It is Suspicious even to the painter.

Last edited by Burn Schau; 06-02-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Looking again I see something else

It looks like a piece of flashing was added to compensate for the short overlap of the shingles to the gutter. Why the whole edge wasn't done;I haven't a clue.

The principal is fine, but the flashing should underlap the underlayment to be most effective.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 06-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Thanks guys