Default Is Entran 3 (heatway) bad?

Orange rubber tubing for radiant floor heating system. Writing on it is
    "entran 3 - - Heatway. Warrantied to 200 degrees at 100 psi. "

Have seen articles and previous threads here about "entran II" (two) which was subject to some law suits.

Has anyone heard if "entran 3" has any of the same problems as its predecessor?

This system is running about 100-120 degrees at around 35-40 psi. The tubing in this house has supposedly had a couple of past leaks, but I have NO details.

Given that there is no known history of failure on this version of the product (at least that I can find), how would you report it to the buyers?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Is Entran 3 (heatway) bad?

sorry, meant to add a photo.

also, in searching on the topic, ran across an interesting site:

Oxygen-diffusion corrosion in radiant heating systems
    FAQ's

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Never heard of Entran 3, but I would suspect it's not a good idea to hang it with staples.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

It depends on who you listen to. Here are some sites to check out. Also look at the last one about explanation on oxygen and heating systems. Personally I am not a fan of the radiant floor systems.

Seeger Weiss Investigates Defective Goodyear Entran 3 Radiant Heating Hoses

Goodyear In-Floor Heating System Investigation | Halunen & Associates | Minneapolis Minnesota

Entran Heating Hose Problems Under Investigation
    Allegedly, under normal conditions, the Entran 3 hoses have exhibited a number of problems, including leaks in the hose. According to a class action complaint against Goodyear, parts of the hose, which were purposely designed to conduct heating fluids, can become hard and brittle, and overtime, can crack or burst, releasing the heated fluids and causing serious property damage.

How do I know if Entran II Entran 2 is installed in my house?
    The tubing was bright orange when it was first installed but may have turned a dusty, dark orange due to deterioration. It is clearly labeled “Entran II.” There is also an “Entran 3” installed after 1994, but no problems have been reported with this product.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good explanation on oxygen diffusion and heating systems.

FAQ's

Thanks guys.

However, I tend to discount any information coming from blood-sucking lawyer web sites that only looking to profit from someone's misfortune
    Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a vampire?
    A: A vampire only sucks blood at night.
    (oops, hope I didn't offend anyone out there, I could get sued)

But even the third web site link states that there have not been any consistently reported problems with Entran-3.

Yeah, I saw the site that discusses the oxygen barrier. I had been looking for manufacturer's installation instructions when I found that one. Couldn't find out if entran-3 had an oxygen barrier or not.

I have some indication of previous leak or leaks at this house, but don't know if that was due to someone attempting to winterize the house, and I know very well that you can't successfully winterize hot water heating systems (know about that VERY well).

So part of my original question was - what would you say in your inspection report?

Yes, it was installed poorly (I stated that in my report). Even though my gut says the buyers will eventually end up replacing all the heatway tubing in the next 5 or 10 years, I don't have any real basis to make that statement. As it is anyway, the boiler (a 2-yr old Lochinvar) is short-cycling, so am recommending a HVAC contractor look it over.

Terry,
    Links to blood suckers was only to point to possible problems, though they may be just bottom feeding hoping to make a issue where there is non.

You would think that version 3 resolved the problems of version 2 (considering the law suites), but does it without concern for eternity, I do not know of any guarantee.

There is no plumbing system ever designed that has o% failure of some kind no mater how it was installed.

If you observed past evidence of leaks then it follows there may a future possibility of leaks. Though not observing evidence of past leaks does not mean that there will not be leaks in the future.

Be careful about saying it was poorly installed unless you are familiar with the correction installation methods for the product.

Report what you observed. Report what you positively know for fact. Report your concerns along with what your basis those concerns. If you do not know something say so and direct them to someone that does know.

[QUOTE=Terry Beck;220957]Thanks guys.

But even the third web site link states that there have not been any consistently reported problems with Entran-3.

Yeah, I saw the site that discusses the oxygen barrier. I had been looking for manufacturer's installation instructions when I found that one. Couldn't find out if entran-3 had an oxygen barrier or not.

My previous research on Entran III indicted it was an oxygen barrier piping. Perhaps the isolated failures suggest localized water quality or poor/no maintenance practices?

The class action law firm Halunen & Associates is investigating Entran 3 Radiant Heating Hoses for a possible defective product lawsuit involving hoses used in hydronic in-floor radiant heating and snowmelt systems. These products show signs of a possible defect in the hose which results in water leaks and subsequent damage to personal property. If you have experienced any of these problems, you can share your concerns with the firm at Contact Halunen & Associates | 612-605-4098 | Halunen & Associates or call (612) 605-4098. [Advertising Material]

Guess they must have a new intern to troll the web for clients since it took over a year for them to surface in the thread. New link for more exposure. Yet no real benefit to the forum just a cheap way to advertise... at others expense. Should be paying Brian for the plug.