Default ceiling water stain & discoloration

Built in 1997, located in a notorious grow-op popped up area, I did not see any clue of the operation before. But the straight yellow water stain on the ceiling of basement kitchen next to walk-out. this stain is about 6 feet from exterior wall adjacent to deck. The family room is on top. Almost in the same postion the family room ceiling has the same shape water stain. This looks like drywall joint, the joint tape bubbled. I did not see any plumbing in this location.

Also the upper story is master bedroom, the same paralled ceiling has the discoloration an apparent border.

cannot explain these. sorry for the poor shots.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Peter Louis; 02-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: ceiling water stain & discoloration

Water flows to the lowest point! I can't tell from the picture what the moisture meeting is showing. Was it dry or wet?

Sometimes it is not possible to find a cause so you report what you see and move on.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Robert Pike Guest

What is "notorious grow-op popped up area" ? I don't see any sprinkler system - some times I have seen moisture stains after installation of drywall from sprinkler line tests or condensation from AC, but have no clue why the stain would be exactly the same width as the drywall tape in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Built in 1997, located in a notorious grow-op popped up area, I did not see any clue of the operation before. But the straight yellow water stain on the ceiling of basement kitchen next to walk-out. this stain is about 6 feet from exterior wall adjacent to deck. The family room is on top. Almost in the same postion the family room ceiling has the same shape water stain. This looks like drywall joint, the joint tape bubbled. I did not see any plumbing in this location.

Also the upper story is master bedroom, the same paralled ceiling has the discoloration an apparent border.

cannot explain these. sorry for the poor shots.

Pete Curtis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Water flows to the lowest point! I can't tell from the picture what the moisture meeting is showing. Was it dry or wet?

Sometimes it is not possible to find a cause so you report what you see and move on.
    Scott, you are right. There are numerous possible causes here, but it is not required that we identify any of them. As inspectors we find the problem. It is the job of the contractor to find the cause and fix the problem. Write it up. Make it a "must do," not a "should do" or a "honey do."
    I can't resist. I would look for a plumbing exhaust pipe first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Curtis View Post
    I would look for a plumbing exhaust pipe first.
    Make sure you do not write off waterbed leaks, aquarium leaks, and other similar items which hold water but can leak, get spilled over, or have a water problem during filling, draining, or cleaning.

I'm just throwing some ideas out there to consider.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com