Default 1 water heater plugged to the otherone

Hello,

In the pictures you will see 2 water heater.
    The one on the left ls functioning. The one on the right is not functioning.
    However, as you can see, the water heater located on the left is plugged with the one on the right. Would you agree to say that these two should not be plugged together?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: 1 water heater plugged to the otherone

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Smith View Post
    However, as you can see, the water heater located on the left is plugged with the one on the right. Would you agree to say that these two should not be plugged together?
    Actually, I don't see where they are "plugged in" in the photos (maybe I am just not seeing that?).

NEITHER water heater should be "plugged in" as in cord-and-plug connected.

There are also other things in those photos, but you did not ask about them so I suspect you got them.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Actually, I don't see where they are "plugged in" in the photos (maybe I am just not seeing that?).

NEITHER water heater should be "plugged in" as in cord-and-plug connected.

There are also other things in those photos, but you did not ask about them so I suspect you got them.
    I indeed did saw the interrupter on the water heater, the extra pex/copper connection and the missing pipe on the pressure relief valve.

What I meant was connected.. not plugged.

That looks like one big mess. The only thing I would agree with is rip it all out and start over.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    That looks like one big mess. The only thing I would agree with is rip it all out and start over.
    LOL, that s almost what I wrote in the report, but diplomatically of course!

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    is it just me--link did not work

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ruth View Post
    is it just me--link did not work
    No, not just you...BRIAN!!!

Can't really tell from the pics but could the second water heater be a holding tank, as in, the family needed more hot water?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Here is a corrected link to the (one of several) discussion that Bruce Ramsey attempted to link to:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...e-water-heater

or cut and paste the following line into your browser navigtion "bar":

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/showthread.php/24772-double-water-heater

HTH those that couldn't find Bruce's suggestion. One can also use the search feature of the forum and find numerous discussions on the subject. As both are electrically supplied and have element accesses, neither would be a "storage tank".

Tandem; supplemental, series and parallel installations of storage type water heaters are common. The importance of not creating dead-ends or stagnant potable pluming, and the hazards associated with same, should not be overlooked.

As the OP is "up north" and we're looking at electric powered, (can't make out much in the pictures) if series installation, to reduce small capacity recovery time after an extended usage and/or shortly following an extensive use (example, someone else taking a quick short shower soon after re after the teanager's long shower didn't end until the hot water ran cold) and as the incoming water temperature can be quite cold at certain times of the year, to set the larger first requiring more energy and longer time (larger volume and colder incoming water temperature) and second smaller in series for faster response times (higher incoming temp as mixed flow-through from first) and smaller capacity, such as nearing the end of a long shower, or a large soaker tub fill, (higher flow demand) where a at-use booster/on demand heater (such as under a lav) wouldn't be prudent (i.e. kitchen sinks, washing machines, laundry trays/laundry sinks, showers/tubs, etc). As both should be set at a temperature which would deter the incubation of nasties such as legionaires, etc. and the distribution (outlet) be tempered to safe temperatures to prevent scalding, etc. If there is an in-law suite, or other separate occupancy (separate apartment), perhaps a second independant hot water distribution has been set up upon a second, metered, electrical supply, where the water supply itself is included in "the rent". Wish the pictures were better.

However configured, there appears to be some electrical appliance 'clearance, servicing' "access" 'issues' with the smaller(?) capacity or lowboy(?) crammed in the corner with the staircase/wall junction.

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Here in Vegas i've seen seen two water heaters connected togogether. In my opinion as long as long as their both working (heating water) other wise the second as a storage tank would cool down. I've seen where they originally had 100 gallon tanks that were replaced with two 50 gallon because it was a cheaper insatllation. It's also approved by the local AHJ.